Al Woods released

SeattleAddict

Re: Al Woods released

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:15 pm

I don't think it's fair to write off everybody on the front seven. The horrible rush defense was skewed by Josh Jacobs, who got 100+ yards that never should have happened because the game should have been over, and roughly 800 yards given up by Cody Barton alone. On any given play, 10 players can do their job, and if one guy fucks up, the RB breaks off a big gain.

I am still of the opinion that the defense would have been about 3 levels better if BWagz was out there instead of Barton. Not to say there weren't holes in the defense, and it lacked the Dawgs to be a top-tier defense, but it wouldn't have been embarassing.

Al Woods is a one trick pony - which is to be an immovable object in the middle of the line - and he was good at it. Every short yardage stop we had was because of Al Woods.

Brooks was pretty good against the run, it's in coverage he's a liability.

As for Evan Brown - 1) PFF is a fucking joke, 2) he played last year at GUARD, which is not his natural position and 3) he is universally known to be a much better center than guard. Oh, and 4) PFF is a fucking joke. I know I said that twice, but it is.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:20 pm

So you've seen enough film on Brown and are able to evaluate it sufficiently well to proclaim that he is an above average starting Center in the NFL and perhaps top 10 material? Well okay then, that's great. I"m feeling better about things now. 👍

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:57 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:15 pm
I don't think it's fair to write off everybody on the front seven. The horrible rush defense was skewed by Josh Jacobs, who got 100+ yards that never should have happened because the game should have been over, and roughly 800 yards given up by Cody Barton alone. On any given play, 10 players can do their job, and if one guy fucks up, the RB breaks off a big gain.

I am still of the opinion that the defense would have been about 3 levels better if BWagz was out there instead of Barton. Not to say there weren't holes in the defense, and it lacked the Dawgs to be a top-tier defense, but it wouldn't have been embarassing.

Al Woods is a one trick pony - which is to be an immovable object in the middle of the line - and he was good at it. Every short yardage stop we had was because of Al Woods.

Brooks was pretty good against the run, it's in coverage he's a liability.

As for Evan Brown - 1) PFF is a fucking joke, 2) he played last year at GUARD, which is not his natural position and 3) he is universally known to be a much better center than guard. Oh, and 4) PFF is a fucking joke. I know I said that twice, but it is.
It wasn't just the one Jacobs run, and it wasn't just Barton. Tampa couldn't run on ANYONE but tore us up. Carolina didn't even try to throw the football the entire fourth quarter and their lead GREW! The Rams made us look stupid, and couldn't run on anyone else. I said it last year, if the Cardinals and Chargers weren't two of the stupidest teams in all of football? We'd have three more losses because they didn't even TRY to run the ball on us.

This was an embarrassingly bad defense against the run. Sorry, it flat out was.

Nwadventure

Post by Nwadventure » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:17 pm

It wasn't just the one Jacobs run, and it wasn't just Barton. Tampa couldn't run on ANYONE but tore us up. Carolina didn't even try to throw the football the entire fourth quarter and their lead GREW! The Rams made us look stupid, and couldn't run on anyone else. I said it last year, if the Cardinals and Chargers weren't two of the stupidest teams in all of football? We'd have three more losses because they didn't even TRY to run the ball on us.

Sad but True that run D was beyond pathetic -

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:57 pm

yeah, not arguing that. It was bad. What I'm saying is it wasn't seven guys failing all the time, it was a couple of guys being out of position, a couple guys playing the wrong position, and a few cases of these issues skewing the stats. So, I'm saying you don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, there are still some salvageable parts in the front 7.

The first half of the season, Cody Barton single-handedly gave up like 4000 rushing yards. It was ridiculous how bad he was. Second half, he improved quite a bit, but still not good. The problem with having your ILB suck donkey dick is they are expected to make a bunch of plays. They also call the plays up front and BWagz was legendarily good at that, while Brooks/Barton were terrible.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:46 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:52 pm
We had players in the box on run downs that would just get OWNED.
True that, for plenty of other guys - Poona, Shelby, QJeff, Mone - but dont recall seeing that of Al.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:13 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 am
So, I'm saying you don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, there are still some salvageable parts in the front 7.
Well, to that point? Woods is old, and again, was a part of an epically bad run defense. I would have been fine keeping him, my point was that no one that played a down of football in the front seven last year has much to hang their hat on and shouldn't be all that shocked they are looking for a replacement. Woods was decent, find...that front seven set a pretty low bar. They are trying to get younger. I'm fine with that.