Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

Cascade Kid

Re: Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:13 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:07 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:56 pm
The vertical spread offense is the most stat bloating passing scheme in football, and does not translate to the NFL. So on the other end of the spectrum there would be some questions around how Hendon Hooker's success will translate on the NFL level.
Remind me the offense that Mahomes ran again? And do you think what Buffalo, KC and Cincy run now is severely far removed from a pass first?

No problem. Andy Reid runs a variation of the west coast offense.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:56 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:55 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:35 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:04 am

This is what kills me about this discussion. Investing in a QB project that may or may not pay off someday in the future has become the "level headed" approach, where simply investing in what the team needs most now to really be competitive is "running the team into the ground". Give me a break with this shit lol. This team is not that far off from truly being competitive. They have a QB, in fact they have a pair of them. What they need is a force on defense. That is what's missing.

What, I'm not concerned enough about the future? Yeah, what I'm interested in is making a SB now. Pull off another good draft and this team wouldn't be far off. Oh, that's too big a gamble for you guys? Tell you what, posters here complain about the hawks only being concerned about making the playoffs but not a SB. Investing in a guy that might be your QB three seasons from now instead of a linchpin defensive lineman now is just that kind of thinking, it really is
100%.

It is sooooo obvious to me the way to go is to draft for defense, and if those guys aren't available, you trade #5 to a team that's desperate for a QB, and load up on the second-tier guys that are good and can fill immediate needs AND build for the future.

Now, if I felt like MsFan does about Richardson being the second coming of Mahomes/Allen, I'd understand. I personally wouldn't spend a 5th round pick on Richardson, much less #5 overall, but different strokes for different folks. Anything less than a superstar at #5 is unacceptable - and there are only two QBs that meet that criteria IMO, and they'll be gone by #3.
Even if they take a QB at #5, they still have 3 picks left in the first two rounds. That's enough to add some serious damage on defense. Will McDonald at #20 could be huge!
I'm all in favor of drafting Will Anderson. Even if Richardson is still on the board. What I'm NOT in favor of is taking a cancer like Carter or a player like Wilson who doesn't fit our current defensive scheme, UNLESS, the plan is to change the scheme, then in that case, I'd be ok with Wilson as well. Ultimately it comes down to whom Schneider and Carroll believe is the best pick. I think it's going to come down to Anderson and Richardson. I'm good with either or

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:47 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:13 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:56 pm
The vertical spread offense is the most stat bloating passing scheme in football, and does not translate to the NFL. So on the other end of the spectrum there would be some questions around how Hendon Hooker's success will translate on the NFL level.
Remind me the offense that Mahomes ran again? And do you think what Buffalo, KC and Cincy run now is severely far removed from a pass first?

So, pass first? You're telling me you watch the college game of everything in the pistol with one back and WR's spread all over the field and don't think that looks like the high powered NFL offenses I just named above? Those offenses put a ton of strain on the QB...what Florida does does the opposite. If the article I posted is accurate. What Richardson ran last year sounds a lot like what Russ ran his first few years here. Remember, game manager and all of that? Sorry, Richardson wasn't put in a bad position, he just isn't very good at playing QB right now, which is why it is widely accepted that he is a project. If we were a four or five win team with zero chance at the playoffs next year? With no option at QB for the next couple of years? Sure, I might be on board. I just don't see it.

Again, many in here justified the Seahawks passing on Lamar Jackson, and that pick wouldn't have been anywhere NEAR number 5. It might happen, but I think it would mean next year's team takes a step back.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:34 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:47 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:13 pm
Michael K. wrote:

So, pass first? You're telling me you watch the college game of everything in the pistol with one back and WR's spread all over the field and don't think that looks like the high powered NFL offenses I just named above? Those offenses put a ton of strain on the QB...what Florida does does the opposite. If the article I posted is accurate. What Richardson ran last year sounds a lot like what Russ ran his first few years here. Remember, game manager and all of that? Sorry, Richardson wasn't put in a bad position, he just isn't very good at playing QB right now, which is why it is widely accepted that he is a project. If we were a four or five win team with zero chance at the playoffs next year? With no option at QB for the next couple of years? Sure, I might be on board. I just don't see it.

Again, many in here justified the Seahawks passing on Lamar Jackson, and that pick wouldn't have been anywhere NEAR number 5. It might happen, but I think it would mean next year's team takes a step back.
I think facts are important here in context to the quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_of ... 0quickly.
The spread offense is generally not used as a team's primary offense in the NFL. NFL defenses are usually faster than college defenses, which allows the vertical seams created by the formation to close up more quickly.
...hence Hookers bloated numbers claim I do have against him.

And here is what I did say about Florida's pass game (regardless of scheme):
Florida's play calling had been awful all year. Designing routes that, more often than acceptable, don't make sense. Many of the routes pull receivers right into a cluster of DBs and lacks challenging DBs in having to make a decision. Receivers not running routes properly all the time too.
If you still feel this isn't true then you should check into some of the scouting videos on Richardson and listen to what Kurt Warner or JT O'Sullivan have to say about the play calling. Moreover, taking these shortcomings by the Florida coaching staff, any team interested in drafting Richardson should absolutely question if he had been properly coached in his 1 year as a starter when evaluating him wholly.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:14 pm

That's all fine and good, but what you are telling me is you think what he did in shorts at the combine is more important that what he did in pads and in uniform during a game. That's a tough one for me. Drafting a guy at five that has to sit two years? Again, I'd be all about it if we were a shitty team that had no shot. But we are not that at all, IMO.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:14 pm
That's all fine and good, but what you are telling me is you think what he did in shorts at the combine is more important that what he did in pads and in uniform during a game. That's a tough one for me. Drafting a guy at five that has to sit two years? Again, I'd be all about it if we were a shitty team that had no shot. But we are not that at all, IMO.
I didn't say anything about his combine performance. I'm talking about who he already was prior to the combine.

It would be a deceptively unusual move to sit a #5 pick for a year or two, that is for sure.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:18 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:06 pm
Michael K. wrote:
I didn't say anything about his combine performance. I'm talking about who he already was prior to the combine.

It would be a deceptively unusual move to sit a #5 pick for a year or two, that is for sure.
Well, I don't hear anyone talk about him as anything more than a project. A guy that would HAVE to sit at least next year. To me? That is a guy that created a buzz because he is big and fast and had a great combine. Not because he is a good QB.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:26 pm

We are all familiar with Brady having possibility the worst combine, but what's the relationship between good combine numbers and superior QBing?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:26 pm
We are all familiar with Brady having possibility the worst combine, but what's the relationship between good combine numbers and superior QBing?
I think it's Josh Allen. The flip side to that coin in JaMarcus Russell.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:12 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:18 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:06 pm
Michael K. wrote:

Well, I don't hear anyone talk about him as anything more than a project. A guy that would HAVE to sit at least next year. To me? That is a guy that created a buzz because he is big and fast and had a great combine. Not because he is a good QB.
Maybe that's the confusion here. Richardson has also been scouted as having the highest ceiling of any player in the draft. So that something else being said about Richardson by the experts besides Florida's lackluster passing scheme and WR performance.