Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

D-train

Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 pm

dt

Cascade Kid

Re: Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 pm

This is well said by Dan Orlovsky.

Take #2 overall pick Zach Wilson for instance. He has great pocket footwork, threw 73.5%, 33/3 (TD/Int), and scrambled for 254 yards at BYU. He plays like shit on the NFL level though, even while maintaining excellent fundamental footwork. He doesn't flash anything uniquely beneficial behind center besides his stats line from BYU.

#15 overall Mac Jones, 77.4% and 41/4 (TD/Int). He's on track to become worse than Baker Mayfield in the NFL.

#1 overall Baker Mayfield over his last two years in college threw for 70.7% and 83/14 (TD/Int). And we all know how it's going right now for Baker.

Stats are not a great evaluator of a player. Hell, many are willing to accept Jalen Carter as a great pass rusher, yet he has 6 sacks in 35 career games. And we think this because we can see it in him and the disruption he can create on the line.

As for Anthony Richardson, beyond his legs alone, he threw the highest ADOT (average depth of target) in football last year. And he had one WR that is projected to get drafted, and projected in the late rounds. Take into account his lack of experience, and then take into account his incredible abilities, it's not difficult to see the higher than perceived chance that he's capable at succeeding on the NFL level once given a year or two to develop.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 pm

I listened to a bit on this this morning. Here is what I don't understand. They broke it down and said "if you take away the throw aways and the drops, his completion percentage is around 61%. That isn't like Geno leading the league at 69%, but it's pretty good." OK, GENIUSES, did you remove the drops and throw aways from Geno's numbers? All things equal, his completion percentage is wretched. You want to make shit up, then take the drops and throw aways from EVERYONE'S numbers, and see where this kid is ranked?

I watched him play football. Not ton, but several times. He is a freaky athlete. He is NOT ready to play NFL QB, and probably wouldn't be after one year backing up Geno. So, we use a fifth round pick on a guy that isn't going to even be above average or better until year three? Why not wait a bit and take Hooker?

The same show talking about Richardson's "issues" not being a concern also talked about how Carter would be the first pick in the draft if the draft occured right after the college season. So, which issue is a bigger concern? One guy who would play right now and is some recent troubles away from being the first over all? Or a guy that was a below average college QB, is not even close to playing in the NFL right now, and was a workout warrior at the combine?

The more I think about this and the more I hear, I would take Carter over Richardson. If Anderson is gone, I say try to trade back a few spots, then maybe take Carter. But I just am scared to death of Richardson. I am also scared to death they aren't going to take him and he becomes the next Josh Allen! LOL. Glad it's not my call. Orlovsky watches more tape than me, for sure. But I don't get saying he is a 61% completion guy, unless you are going to even the playing field and take throw aways and drops away from everyone. He would be WELL down the list. And, again, he watches more than I do. But I DID see a guy that has accuracy issues. Decision making issues as well.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:52 pm

of course stats lie, but eyes don't. OK eyes do too, sometimes, but I watched Richardson too many times to think he's ever going to be good. His measurables are off the charts, so if used correctly, he could be a flash in the pan at best. His accuracy issues aren't reflected by the numbers, it shows up on film. He misses receivers badly or throws with improper touch to anybody that isn't 50 yards away. He throws to the wrong guy and takes poor angles in the pocket, running into pressure instead of away from it, or just takes off running. Those things don't fly in the NFL. His legs do, if he just runs all the time he'd be damn near unstoppable, but sometimes quarterbacks need to throw the ball.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:59 pm

"One of the biggest wild cards in this year’s NFL Draft is Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson. The big, fast QB prospect is a popular name linked to the Seahawks in mock drafts, including Mel Kiper’s latest for ESPN, which has Seattle taking him No. 5 overall."

Kiper is an idiot. Just sayin'.

Honestly, I'm wondering if SEA even makes a selection at #5. Time will tell.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:15 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 pm
I listened to a bit on this this morning. Here is what I don't understand. They broke it down and said "if you take away the throw aways and the drops, his completion percentage is around 61%. That isn't like Geno leading the league at 69%, but it's pretty good." OK, GENIUSES, did you remove the drops and throw aways from Geno's numbers? All things equal, his completion percentage is wretched. You want to make shit up, then take the drops and throw aways from EVERYONE'S numbers, and see where this kid is ranked?

I watched him play football. Not ton, but several times. He is a freaky athlete. He is NOT ready to play NFL QB, and probably wouldn't be after one year backing up Geno. So, we use a fifth round pick on a guy that isn't going to even be above average or better until year three? Why not wait a bit and take Hooker?

The same show talking about Richardson's "issues" not being a concern also talked about how Carter would be the first pick in the draft if the draft occured right after the college season. So, which issue is a bigger concern? One guy who would play right now and is some recent troubles away from being the first over all? Or a guy that was a below average college QB, is not even close to playing in the NFL right now, and was a workout warrior at the combine?

The more I think about this and the more I hear, I would take Carter over Richardson. If Anderson is gone, I say try to trade back a few spots, then maybe take Carter. But I just am scared to death of Richardson. I am also scared to death they aren't going to take him and he becomes the next Josh Allen! LOL. Glad it's not my call. Orlovsky watches more tape than me, for sure. But I don't get saying he is a 61% completion guy, unless you are going to even the playing field and take throw aways and drops away from everyone. He would be WELL down the list. And, again, he watches more than I do. But I DID see a guy that has accuracy issues. Decision making issues as well.
He didn't take them all away he took about half away in order to compare what he would have done on a team with an average throw away rate and an average drop rate. I am still not close to sold on him though.
“No. 1, he had 19 throwaways. He played 12 games last year, and had 19 throwaways,” he said. “No. 2, they were – the University of Florida – 107th when it comes to drops in college football. That means 106 teams in college football caught the ball better than Florida. So if we just look at 19 throwaways – which is 1.5 per game – and we look at a team that averaged over two drops a game, if you take that one throwaway a game and one drop per game and count those as completions over the course of a 12-game season, his completion percentage goes to (over 61%). So then we’re not having a conversation about completion percentage.”
He didn't say what an average team's throwaways is so I question removing 1 of the 1.5 leaving him with just .5 throwaways a game. RW seemed to have one every set of Downs! lol
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:38 pm

It's this simple: We had fill a defensive hole with a stud with our first pick or we are idiots

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:46 pm

It's this simple, do we draft a franchise QB for the future, or are we idiots?

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:55 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:46 pm
we do, in the 6th round. His name is Jake Haener. Or possibly Max Duggan.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:55 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:46 pm
we do, in the 6th round. His name is Jake Haener. Or possibly Max Duggan.
If you actually think those are legit NFL QB's you are AN addict! :lol:

Let's just take a QB in the 6th round every year. I mean they grow on trees down there.