Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

douche

Re: Richardson's accuracy "issues" shouldn't be a concern?

Post by douche » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:19 pm

Just think... a month from now and we'll know for sure :D

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:20 pm

Great reads SexyMsFan, thanks. I still disagree with your Safety comparison though.

First, over spending on one position leaves LESS cap space, not more.
But, second, and most important, they will be using two safeties at a time, at a minimum, and want to play three. They won't even suite up more than two QBs and hope to play only one. It's not the same.

If Richardson becomes the next Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes, I'll be a little surprised, but not a lot. I think the difference here with Allen is that he went to a bad team that had no intention of winning the next year. So, KC is the better comp. One, they didn't sign both Alex Smith and another FA QB that off season before taking Mahomes. Two, he was the 10th pick, not the 5th pick. BUT, pretty good comparison. The Chiefs made the playoffs that year, with Mahomes only starting a game, iirc, the last week when the playoff seeding was already decided. It worked out damn well for both of those teams. But, again, I think people use Mahomes and Allen for reasons when they want to justify moves like this. There are many others.

The below list has been mentioned many times, but worth repeating.

2021 Draft
#1 Lawrence
#2 Zach Wilson
#3 Lance
#11 Fields

Two of the four appear to be busts so far, but still early

2020 Draft
#1 Burrow
#5 Tua
#6 Herbert

Great Class

2019 Draft
#1 K. Murray
#6 D. Jones

Jones has not thrown more TDs that games played every in his career and Murray would rather play Call of Duty

2018 Draft
#1 Mayfield
#3 Darnald
#7 Allen
#10 Rosen

Allen is the only one not a bust, and it took him a couple of years

2017 Draft
#2 Trubisky

Great Googly Moogly. And they passed on Mahomes!

2016 Draft
#1 Goff
#2 Wentz

Goff is decent, Wentz is TERRIBLE

2015 Draft
#1 Jameis Winston
#2 Mariota

Gross

2014 Draft
#3 Bortles

Double Gross

I would say more than half of those players are either pretty bad early in their careers or big time busts. So, we want to take the fourth best in this class and just KNOW that it'll be fine? That is the thing I don't get. I don't think anything they have done so far this season says they will take QB at 5, or at least that that is the most likely scenario.

I think it is -

1. Take Anderson
2. Trade down a few spots, but that might be hard because they don't want to go down too far, I wouldn't think
3. Shock us and take a different Edge Rusher or Interior D Lineman
4. Take the remaining QB
5. Really shock us and take someone that isn't a QB or play Edge or Interior D Line
6. Trade way down and stockpile picks not only in the middle rounds of this draft, but get picks next year - This option entrigues me, as I did it in one mock (yes, I know, not real life), and was loaded for next year and still got Bresee, other good to decent D Lineman, a good Center and LB and a couple of good RBs.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:49 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:20 pm
Great reads SexyMsFan, thanks. I still disagree with your Safety comparison though.

But, second, and most important, they will be using two safeties at a time, at a minimum, and want to play three. They won't even suite up more than two QBs and hope to play only one. It's not the same.

If Richardson becomes the next Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes, I'll be a little surprised, but not a lot. I think the difference here with Allen is that he went to a bad team that had no intention of winning the next year. So, KC is the better comp. One, they didn't sign both Alex Smith and another FA QB that off season before taking Mahomes. Two, he was the 10th pick, not the 5th pick. BUT, pretty good comparison. The Chiefs made the playoffs that year, with Mahomes only starting a game, iirc, the last week when the playoff seeding was already decided. It worked out damn well for both of those teams. But, again, I think people use Mahomes and Allen for reasons when they want to justify moves like this. There are many others.

2021 Draft
#1 Lawrence
#2 Zach Wilson
#3 Lance
#11 Fields

2020 Draft
#1 Burrow
#5 Tua
#6 Herbert

Great Class

2019 Draft
#1 K. Murray
#6 D. Jones

Jones has not thrown more TDs that games played every in his career and Murray would rather play Call of Duty

2018 Draft
#1 Mayfield
#3 Darnald
#7 Allen
#10 Rosen

2017 Draft
#2 Trubisky

2016 Draft
#1 Goff
#2 Wentz

2015 Draft
#1 Jameis Winston
#2 Mariota

Gross

2014 Draft
#3 Bortles

Double Gross

I would say more than half of those players are either pretty bad early in their careers or big time busts. So, we want to take the fourth best in this class and just KNOW that it'll be fine? That is the thing I don't get. I don't think anything they have done so far this season says they will take QB at 5, or at least that that is the most likely scenario.

I think it is -

1. Take Anderson
2. Trade down a few spots, but that might be hard because they don't want to go down too far, I wouldn't think
4. Take the remaining QB
5. Really shock us and take someone that isn't a QB or play Edge or Interior D Line
6. Trade way down and stockpile picks not only in the middle rounds of this draft, but get picks next year - This option entrigues me, as I did it in one mock (yes, I know, not real life), and was loaded for next year and still got Bresee, other good to decent D Lineman, a good Center and LB and a couple of good RBs.
A fair point. But the ultimate X factor here is that "we know" Schneider was both in on Allen AND Mahomes. If he thinks Richardson is worthy and selects him, I trust John enough to support his quarterback evaluating skills.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:49 pm

A fair point. But the ultimate X factor here is that "we know" Schneider was both in on Allen AND Mahomes. If he thinks Richardson is worthy and selects him, I trust John enough to support his quarterback evaluating skills.
Yep, I will say it again. If they are high on him? I won't hate the pick. I won't understand it based on the other moves...but the way the contracts are worked for Smith and Lock? It's almost as if they have planned for this. If no Anderson? They go QB. The bigger question might be, what if Levis is the one available and not Richardson? I still think they will try to trade back, but if they don't find the right taker?

douche

Post by douche » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Gonzalez?

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:28 pm

Michael K. wrote:

2021 Draft
#1 Lawrence
#2 Zach Wilson
#3 Lance
#11 Fields

2020 Draft
#1 Burrow
#5 Tua
#6 Herbert

Great Class

2019 Draft
#1 K. Murray
#6 D. Jones

2018 Draft
#1 Mayfield
#3 Darnald
#7 Allen
#10 Rosen

2017 Draft
#2 Trubisky

2016 Draft
#1 Goff
#2 Wentz

2015 Draft
#1 Jameis Winston
#2 Mariota

Gross

2014 Draft
#3 Bortles

Double Gross

I think it is -

1. Take Anderson
4. Take the remaining QB
This is indeed an interesting list to look. I posted this list before to show that how unprecidented it is to draft 4 QBs in the first 5 picks. It does make me slow down and take deeper dives into each of the QBs and take a broad holistical look at what JS/PC are doing. I think if Levis is the remaining QB the Hawks trade down. I found it interesting that Shane Waldron was not in Levis' pro day selfie.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:34 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Gonzalez?
CBS just did one where Baltimore trades Lamar to Indy and takes Levis at 4. With Richardson there? They have us taking Carter. Gonzalez goes next to Detroit at 6. Richardson goes 8 to Atlanta. Wilson goes 7. We then take the best RB in college football, a second year in a row, at 20. The TE Mayer, who intrigues me, goes two spots before us at 18. Bresee goes four spots later. So, by there Mock? We could take Richardson or a handful of other guys consistently mocked in the top 10 that aren't QB or DT, and still get Bresee.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... ers-trade/

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:50 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:49 pm

Yep, I will say it again. If they are high on him? I won't hate the pick. I won't understand it based on the other moves...but the way the contracts are worked for Smith and Lock? It's almost as if they have planned for this. If no Anderson? They go QB. The bigger question might be, what if Levis is the one available and not Richardson? I still think they will try to trade back, but if they don't find the right taker?
I'm high on Levis too. The fact that he played in the EXACT same offense that the Seahawks run has to be intriguing to our guys.

Pete goes out and says what he says, knowing that he's going to get one of the quintet of Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson or Anderson. I'd be happy with ANY one of those 5. Pete knows he's at least getting of those players. So the bold statement he makes on doing his homework isn't necessarily a smokescreen for trading back at all. I think they stand pat and make a selection. He even refers to the opportunity of taking advantage of picking in the Top 5 and that picks like this don't come around that often. That doesn't like a guy who is trying to trade back.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:54 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:34 pm
douche wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Gonzalez?
CBS just did one where Baltimore trades Lamar to Indy and takes Levis at 4. With Richardson there? They have us taking Carter. Gonzalez goes next to Detroit at 6. Richardson goes 8 to Atlanta. Wilson goes 7. We then take the best RB in college football, a second year in a row, at 20. The TE Mayer, who intrigues me, goes two spots before us at 18. Bresee goes four spots later. So, by there Mock? We could take Richardson or a handful of other guys consistently mocked in the top 10 that aren't QB or DT, and still get Bresee.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... ers-trade/
I've already said my peace on Carter. It would be a huge mistake. No way does Seattle take him Top 5 after his disastrous Pro Day along with all the other bullshit that's gone on with him this year. Carter goes somewhere in the teens.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Richardson hype dies down when the actual drafting takes place, he goes lower than most mocks have him