He’s back!!!

Michael K.

Re: He’s back!!!

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:47 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:08 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:34 pm
Okay, you guys have persuaded me to feel stoked about Julian Love.
https://www.seahawks.com/news/wednesday ... signing-by

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/03 ... ason-loss/
Love earned a career-high 71.5 coverage grade in 2022 and lined up all over the formation, with 271 snaps down in the box, 154 in the slot and 494 at free safety. He’s a Swiss Army knife on the back end who rarely misses a tackle. Among 43 safeties with at least 150 tackles over the past three seasons, Love’s 13 missed tackles are the second fewest.
Sounds like we can employ that three Safety look they wanted to use so badly and have Adams, if he is healthy (yes, BIG if) play at or near the LOS. I liked the move when they made it, like it more now.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:18 pm

Sure, Wags brings experience and lots of tackles, but he's 33. From a mentoring standpoint this might make sense, but in terms of what he's actually capable of as a player? Perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm just not sold. And not a fan of bringing back old players as a 'feel good' situation.

How many other teams expressed any interest in him? I'm asking because I don't know. It just didn't seem like anyone else was actually pursuing him.

It's not that I don't like him, I just don't think he'll make much of a difference. Time will tell.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:31 pm

I may be wrong, but I think the salary was a pretty good price point for a guy like him. I mean, he was a Pro Bowler last year, and it wasn't based on his past play. He had a good year. He may have been a bit complacent here, and needed the wake up call. The Seahawks may have also needed a wake up call to see what Bobby is capable of doing in an attacking style defense?

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:51 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:18 pm
Sure, Wags brings experience and lots of tackles, but he's 33. From a mentoring standpoint this might make sense, but in terms of what he's actually capable of as a player? Perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm just not sold. And not a fan of bringing back old players as a 'feel good' situation.

How many other teams expressed any interest in him? I'm asking because I don't know. It just didn't seem like anyone else was actually pursuing him.

It's not that I don't like him, I just don't think he'll make much of a difference. Time will tell.
Cowboys were hard after him, even after signing LVE. He was 2nd team All pro last year. How are you not sold?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:02 pm

Jordan Schultz reports that the market for free agent LB Bobby Wagner is “heating up” and there have been “several” teams that have reached out to him since becoming available.

According to Schultz, the Cowboys and Chargers have contacted Wagner and the Seahawks should not be ruled out as an option for the veteran linebacker

douche

Post by douche » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:55 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:51 pm
douche wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:18 pm

Cowboys were hard after him, even after signing LVE. He was 2nd team All pro last year. How are you not sold?
Lots of tackles, but how many of those come after first down yardage has already been attained? In addition, I think he's physically a step slower than the younger guys. SEA has this historical tradition of signing players past their prime, after the tread has started to come off.

But perhaps his ability to mentor and lead by example can help bridge the rest of the group.

I'm just not as excited about this signing as so many of you appear to be. Honestly, I hope he has a monster year and makes me eat crow.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:59 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:55 pm

Lots of tackles, but how many of those come after first down yardage has already been attained? In addition, I think he's physically a step slower than the younger guys. SEA has this historical tradition of signing players past their prime.

But perhaps his ability to mentor and lead by example can help bridge the rest of the group.

I'm just not as excited about this signing as so many of you appear to be.
this point might be valid, except he played at an ALL PRO level last year. Maybe he's lost a step, but to put it in Madden terms, he went from a 99 overall to a 97 overall, and is replacing a guy that is probably a 65.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:49 am

Quibble over PFF if you want but this wasn't some sort of nostalgia signing, Wagner still knows how to play linebacker
. LINEBACKER: BOBBY WAGNER, LOS ANGELES RAMS (90.7)
Simply put, Wagner has continued to build his case as a first-ballot Hall of Famer with continued excellent play well into his 30s now. His .57 WAR this season ranked first among linebackers. A sterling 2.9% missed tackle rate placed third among his position group, and he continued to be a great coverage linebacker, ranking 13th in coverage grade. His overall grade this year rivals that of his two best seasons in Seattle — 2017 and 2018 — where he graded out to 91.4 and 91.7, respectively. He’s graded above 80.0 in six of his 11 NFL seasons, a remarkable achievement

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:58 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:49 am
Quibble over PFF if you want but this wasn't some sort of nostalgia signing, Wagner still knows how to play linebacker
. LINEBACKER: BOBBY WAGNER, LOS ANGELES RAMS (90.7)
Simply put, Wagner has continued to build his case as a first-ballot Hall of Famer with continued excellent play well into his 30s now. His .57 WAR this season ranked first among linebackers. A sterling 2.9% missed tackle rate placed third among his position group, and he continued to be a great coverage linebacker, ranking 13th in coverage grade. His overall grade this year rivals that of his two best seasons in Seattle — 2017 and 2018 — where he graded out to 91.4 and 91.7, respectively. He’s graded above 80.0 in six of his 11 NFL seasons, a remarkable achievement
For Reference the great 1st round pick Jordyn Brooks was at 52.8. :|
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:25 pm

If you adjust for the systems they played in and the quality of players around them you should probably add at least 10 to Brook's score and subtract 10 from Bobby's.