He’s back!!!

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: He’s back!!!

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:34 pm

Okay, you guys have persuaded me to feel stoked about Julian Love. I just wish they would cut Adams or better yet trade him for a 5th round pick or whatever.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:44 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:33 am
Isn't it about him being more aggressive at the line of scrimmage? There was speculation about that I thought, seems it was the Rams plan
They blitzed him quite a bit, KJ Wright and Dave Wyman have both mentioned that a few times this off season. How he was a different player when he was freed up. Wyman spoke all last year about how hesitant our guys were last year. On the radio broadcast of the first Rams game you could literally hear the disdain in his voice every time the Rams would run a simple boot leg and there be NO ONE home. I mean, it was as close to being negative about anything Seahawk related I have ever heard from that guy. He would cover up by saying "they have to do a better job of understanding assignment", but the way he said it didn't lead me to believe it. He hated the way they played.

I won't pretend to know as much about playing defense in the NFL as Dave, but I sure think some of the issue was players not fitting the style...but a lot of it was just flat out mediocre football players trying to make plays. Some of them would actually have to strive to be mediocre. It's no surprise that most of the front seven will be different next year. They stunk.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:00 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:34 pm
Okay, you guys have persuaded me to feel stoked about Julian Love. I just wish they would cut Adams or better yet trade him for a 5th round pick or whatever.
Adams is an untradeable albatross, sunk cost at this point. i dont expect him to be/stay healthy, but dont think he was all that great for us even his first year here (recall Millen's stats on how many times the secondary was burned when he blitzed and didnt get the sack).
Regardless, what is great about the Love signing is that he can be the starter NEXT year when it makes more cap sense to cut Adams and/or Diggs, both of whom have big contracts. Don't forget Diggs seemed to regress a bit last year, and Love is more of a Free Safety anyway.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:01 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:44 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:33 am
Isn't it about him being more aggressive at the line of scrimmage? There was speculation about that I thought, seems it was the Rams plan
They blitzed him quite a bit, KJ Wright and Dave Wyman have both mentioned that a few times this off season. How he was a different player when he was freed up. Wyman spoke all last year about how hesitant our guys were last year. On the radio broadcast of the first Rams game you could literally hear the disdain in his voice every time the Rams would run a simple boot leg and there be NO ONE home. I mean, it was as close to being negative about anything Seahawk related I have ever heard from that guy. He would cover up by saying "they have to do a better job of understanding assignment", but the way he said it didn't lead me to believe it. He hated the way they played.

I won't pretend to know as much about playing defense in the NFL as Dave, but I sure think some of the issue was players not fitting the style...but a lot of it was just flat out mediocre football players trying to make plays. Some of them would actually have to strive to be mediocre. It's no surprise that most of the front seven will be different next year. They stunk.
There was this from Hurtt, were they trying to be more aggressive but couldn't pull it off?
.“One thing that is going to be significantly different this year, we are going to be aggressive,” Hurtt said. “We want that. The aggressiveness is going to have to come from our guys up front getting after the passer, continuing on being strong in the run game like we have been in last few years. That’s the mentality of a defense that we want to have, and our players respond to that mentality.”

“Obviously, that comes down to one, how you coach it, and two, how you call it,” Hurtt explained of his vision. “So the aggressiveness and attacking offenses, but at the same time challenging the quarterback and making it hard on him not just with a rush but also with coverage

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:16 pm

57reasons wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:00 pm
Adams is an untradeable albatross, sunk cost at this point. i dont expect him to be/stay healthy, but dont think he was all that great for us even his first year here (recall Millen's stats on how many times the secondary was burned when he blitzed and didnt get the sack).
Regardless, what is great about the Love signing is that he can be the starter NEXT year when it makes more cap sense to cut Adams and/or Diggs, both of whom have big contracts. Don't forget Diggs seemed to regress a bit last year, and Love is more of a Free Safety anyway.
The injuries are a problem, but listening to Millen bitch about a secondary not being able to cover because someone blitzes is absurd. When Adams blitzed he was basically a LB. So, what he is saying is if we don't rush four, our secondary can't cover...so that must be Jama's' fault? Expecting a blitzer to get home every time would be absolutely comical...yet that is basically what Millen was saying. If Adams blitzes, our secondary gets beat unless he gets a sack, so he better get a sack every time or it's his fault the other team completes a pass. Fucking lunacy.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm

That is pretty funny, a blitz is a gamble, generally it's the DC for calling it that gets the blame if it backfires

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm
That is pretty funny, a blitz is a gamble, generally it's the DC for calling it that gets the blame if it backfires
It was beyond funny, it was flat out stupid. IF this is because the Seahawks didn't have enough in coverage, that is the fault of SEVERAL PEOPLE NOT NAMED ADAMS.

1. The DC called the blitz that DIDN'T work
2. The Defensive Backs couldn't cover without 6 or 7 men in coverage. The absolute definition of a blitz.
3. Their were too many LBs on the field covering because Seattle blitzed a Safety. Then put Adams at LB

In what fucking Bizaro world does a team blitz, give up a play in the secondary, and the guy that blitzed is blamed for coverage issue on the back end? If that is the case, EVERY SINGLE TIME ANYONE BLITZES and the Seahawks give up a completion? It's not the DBs fault, it's the blitzer. Nope, Millen just had a hard on for Adams. It was fucking stupid. All teams blitz, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. BUT, if the scheme is an issue? How the fuck do you blame coverage deficiencies on the guy the coach told to blitz?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:48 pm

It's interesting, I think the concept of being aggressive sounds good. You want an aggressive defense, Hurtt talking about being aggressive. Blitzing sounds great, but there is also a price to pay, aggressive defenses can cough up big plays. It can really come down to discipline, running the coverage properly for instance

douche

Post by douche » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:08 pm

Okay, you guys have persuaded me to feel stoked about Julian Love.
https://www.seahawks.com/news/wednesday ... signing-by

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/03 ... ason-loss/

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:48 pm
It's interesting, I think the concept of being aggressive sounds good. You want an aggressive defense, Hurtt talking about being aggressive. Blitzing sounds great, but there is also a price to pay, aggressive defenses can cough up big plays. It can really come down to discipline, running the coverage properly for instance
Of course. It's funny, this forum on game day is a roller coaster ride. A QB will be picking us apart and all you read is a bunch of dudes bitching that the DC won't blitz. Then? They blitz and the QB hits an open receiver and all I hear is how stupid the blitz was, or how it's Jamal's fault because all he can do is blitz so they had to blitz him. Adams is a box Safety, and when used correctly, like he was for three different All Pro seasons? He is a beast. He also has to be healthy. BUT, to blame one man because a Blitz doesn't work? Is stupid.