D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

Donn Beach

Re: Grade the Seahawks 2023 Draft

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am

He's classified as a great coverage and zone DB that happens to play downhill when the run comes out onto the edge
Believe his reputation for run support and tackling goes beyond that.
John Schneider, "Devon is arguably one of the most physical players in the draft, regardless of position…

Chris Simms' guy, a missile in runs support. Goes and makes tackles, throws his body around.
Field Yates
@FieldYates
There aren’t many corners who can set the tone for a defense with their tackling.

Devon Witherspoon is one of them. He’ll lock your top receiver down on one play and then lay a huge hit on the next.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 07, 2023 11:34 am

Here is Pete who basically hasn't bothered using the draft to fill the CB position up until now finding a talent worthy of the fifth pick, compares him to Troy Polamalu, a HOF box safety. They also said they never seriously considered Carter, that Witherspoon been their guy. Everything there speaks to them banking on Witherspoon being the generational talent in the draft as opposed to Carter. It will be interesting how it unfolds. I believe Pete has really put his reputation on the line with this draft

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 07, 2023 12:11 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:34 am
Here is Pete who basically hasn't bothered using the draft to fill the CB position up until now finding a talent worthy of the fifth pick, compares him to Troy Polamalu, a HOF box safety. They also said they never seriously considered Carter, that Witherspoon been their guy. Everything there speaks to them banking on Witherspoon being the generational talent in the draft as opposed to Carter. It will be interesting how it unfolds. I believe Pete has really put his reputation on the line with this draft
I never bought into the notion that because they had never taken a CB in the first two rounds they wouldn't do it this draft. I mean they had Sherman for so many of those years and they always surprise in the draft. If there was a CB as good as Witherspoon in the past they probably would have taken him.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 07, 2023 12:29 pm

Pete has been good at developing CBs with picks lower in the draft, Sherman being one of them, as well as Woolen last season, that's finding premium talent without expending draft capital. Again, for Pete to say he's never run across talent like this since Troy Polamalu, well Witherspoon needs to come in and be better than just a good corner.

How about this...he got Sherman with a seventh round pick, woolen with a fifth round pick. As a multiplier, how much more talented should that make Witherspoon who he decided to use the number five on
Last edited by Donn Beach on Sun May 07, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 07, 2023 1:06 pm

Sherman was also a fifth rounder but yeah likely HOFer in the fifth round is quite a deal.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 07, 2023 1:39 pm

Yeah, where I get seventh. I was viewing it as an aspect of ego. Pete's got to be proud of that. I viewed it as a strategy that actually worked as opposed to their offensive lineman strategy. For Pete to use a fifth pick on a CB is like paying for sex

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun May 07, 2023 3:13 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am
He's classified as a great coverage and zone DB that happens to play downhill when the run comes out onto the edge
John Schneider, "Devon is arguably one of the most physical players in the draft, regardless of position…

Chris Simms' guy, a missile in runs support. Goes and makes tackles, throws his body around.
Field Yates
@FieldYates
There aren’t many corners who can set the tone for a defense with their tackling.

Devon Witherspoon is one of them. He’ll lock your top receiver down on one play and then lay a huge hit on the next.
Goes beyond what? Being a downhill DB? Your follow quotes support exactly that.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun May 07, 2023 3:16 pm

Gametime wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:25 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:33 am
Gametime wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:26 pm

My issue is taking a tiny CB (5'11 181 pounds) who is classified as a "Hitter" How will he withstand it at the NFL Level. I can understand not taking Jalen, but taking such a small and light CB???? Kelly Jennings was the same exact size. Hope he can withstand. But, he is such a small CB height and weight.
He's classified as a great coverage and zone DB that happens to play downhill when the run comes out onto the edge. Sherman did the same thing.
Yes he did. At 6’4 and 195 pounds. Not barley 5’112 and 181.

I do like his coverage ability and toughness, just concerned with him wanting to continue being a hitter at 181 pounds against NFL players. Secondly, he also never ever played against Ohio States stud receivers.

We will see. We need good cover corners if Adans ever gets back, cause we know he can’t cover. :)
Sure, it's obvious size plays a role, Newton's laws and all. I'm sure he will understand that he will need to hit and wrap up lower and not just go out and stick guys all the time. Sherman wasn't a hit sticking guy either, he was just great at wrapping up. But you have to get there first and this is something Witherspoon can do.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Sun May 07, 2023 7:07 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:16 pm
Gametime wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:25 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:33 am

He's classified as a great coverage and zone DB that happens to play downhill when the run comes out onto the edge. Sherman did the same thing.
Yes he did. At 6’4 and 195 pounds. Not barley 5’112 and 181.

I do like his coverage ability and toughness, just concerned with him wanting to continue being a hitter at 181 pounds against NFL players. Secondly, he also never ever played against Ohio States stud receivers.

We will see. We need good cover corners if Adans ever gets back, cause we know he can’t cover. :)
Sure, it's obvious size plays a role, Newton's laws and all. I'm sure he will understand that he will need to hit and wrap up lower and not just go out and stick guys all the time. Sherman wasn't a hit sticking guy either, he was just great at wrapping up. But you have to get there first and this is something Witherspoon can do.
Hope you are correct. It’s hard to back die. On that instinct aggression.

Also, I wish we got to play against to beat wrs in the big 10. He always missed or they didn’t play OSU.

I wish I was more happy about Devon. I just think he is too small for a top 5 pick. If a guys that is that small better be super fast, he is fast just not super. I still think they didn’t have a trade partner, they didn’t have Richardson, and were mcdowelled on Carter, so fourth choice it is.

Super excited for Jaxon, Devon I’m meh on. Devon is a reach I feel. Hope I’m wrong. Just feel he’s the fourth option at 5th pick.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 08, 2023 7:44 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:13 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am

Field Yates
@FieldYates

Goes beyond what? Being a downhill DB? Your follow quotes support exactly that.
Yeah, I believe it involves more than just dealing with a run that comes to the edge.