Re: 2nd biggest issue with huge room for improvement

Post by maoling » Tue May 09, 2023 3:26 am

D-train wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:37 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:45 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:26 pm
In a shuttle right now on the way to the dog show and we're driving right by Citi Field home of the Mets
Good luck and i hope it will be a fun experience!
Thanks Brother. Our professional handler could make not the trip from Battle Ground so may wife is showing Bing at 9:45am tomorrow. She is nervous as hell. Usually there are about 17 people watching, there will be hundreds tomorrow. Live stream here.

https://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2 ... s1-and-fs2
I told all my friends on Facebook about tomorrow morning, so both of them are going to watch also!

https://youtu.be/aB2yqeD0Nus

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue May 09, 2023 4:02 am

D-train wrote:
In a shuttle right now on the way to the dog show and we're driving right by Citi Field home of the Mets
I guess you wont get Fred Willard in the broadcast booth but hopefully you'll encounter Eugene Levy or Cathleen O'Hara with one of your competitors. :)

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue May 09, 2023 4:19 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:02 am
D-train wrote:
I guess you wont get Fred Willard in the broadcast booth but hopefully you'll encounter Eugene Levy or Cathleen O'Hara with one of your competitors. :)
It really all comes down to grooming and who you hump.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tr ... &FORM=VIRE

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue May 09, 2023 8:26 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:43 pm
So how is it possible that our QB had the best completion % but we were 20th in third down conversions???

Answer: either the majority of his incompletions were on third down, he completed A LOT passes short of the line to gain and they had to punt or BOTH.

Stacy mentions two guys that could help with the third down conversion %. The third is Waldron. Stop calling plays that don't involve throwing the ball past the line to gain!!!!

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1755887/ ... ted-about/
Smith-Njigba and Charbonnet should help us out immediately in 3rd down situations. Jaxon is an ELITE route runner. Think Cooper Kupp. And don't sleep on McIntosh. He's probably our best pass catching RB on this roster at the moment.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue May 09, 2023 10:51 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:26 pm
D-train wrote:
So how is it possible that our QB had the best completion % but we were 20th in third down conversions???

Answer: either the majority of his incompletions were on third down, he completed A LOT passes short of the line to gain and they had to punt or BOTH.

Stacy mentions two guys that could help with the third down conversion %. The third is Waldron. Stop calling plays that don't involve throwing the ball past the line to gain!!!!

Smith-Njigba and Charbonnet should help us out immediately in 3rd down situations. Jaxon is an ELITE route runner. Think Cooper Kupp. And don't sleep on McIntosh. He's probably our best pass catching RB on this roster at the moment.
McIntosh can do more than catch (though he is elite as a pass catching RB). He is shifty, powerful and quick. He doesn't have the straight-line speed that made teams balk I guess, but he is a damn good RB. Part of me thinks Charbonnet might actually end up getting more snaps than Walker. Maybe not right away, but Walker is so bad at pass protection, Zach might sneak in more and more.

I'm excited to see this offense. If the rookie O-Lineman work out, it could be a juggernaut.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 09, 2023 11:39 pm

The 40 yard dash time is actually silly for most position players other than WRs and CBs. How many times a season does an RB run 40 yards in one play?
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 10, 2023 12:27 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:51 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:26 pm
D-train wrote:

McIntosh can do more than catch (though he is elite as a pass catching RB). He is shifty, powerful and quick. He doesn't have the straight-line speed that made teams balk I guess, but he is a damn good RB. Part of me thinks Charbonnet might actually end up getting more snaps than Walker. Maybe not right away, but Walker is so bad at pass protection, Zach might sneak in more and more.

I'm excited to see this offense. If the rookie O-Lineman work out, it could be a juggernaut.
Yeah I'm not worried about Kenny's 40 time. Chris Carson ran a 4.58 and was a 7th rounder. I think a lot of people slept on the Bulldog.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 10, 2023 1:58 am

D-train wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:39 pm
The 40 yard dash time is actually silly for most position players other than WRs and CBs. How many times a season does an RB run 40 yards in one play?
Used to judge speed in general
one could realistically argue that no other event at the combine is given more importance to an individual player's draft stock than the 40-yard dash. Speed is a valuable commodity in the modern game of football, and few tests are better at separating the slow from the fast.
At one time, the 40-yard dash was only important to certain positions. Cornerbacks, wide receivers and running backs have always needed to be faster than the rest, and they therefore originally saw the most pressure to perform well in the event. But slowly, the importance of speed has grown to all positions.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/153 ... -yard-dash

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed May 10, 2023 4:23 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:58 am
D-train wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:39 pm
Used to judge speed in general
one could realistically argue that no other event at the combine is given more importance to an individual player's draft stock than the 40-yard dash. Speed is a valuable commodity in the modern game of football, and few tests are better at separating the slow from the fast.
At one time, the 40-yard dash was only important to certain positions. Cornerbacks, wide receivers and running backs have always needed to be faster than the rest, and they therefore originally saw the most pressure to perform well in the event. But slowly, the importance of speed has grown to all positions.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/153 ... -yard-dash
That explains the what, but not the why. It's kind of stupid, honestly. First of all, a lot of difference is in the get-off speed - a trained track athlete will have faster times simply due to the better start. A more accurate representation of straight line speed for 'skill' players might be to use the time from 5 yards to 40. Instead, they include the split, so 0-10 yards, which is even MORE subject to the issue I mentioned. I guess if they were smart, they'd subtract the split, but I've yet to hear of anybody doing that. Think about a WR - do you care how fast they go the first 10 yards, or how fast they go after they catch the ball (aka a running start)??

I've said before that 40 times for linemen is completely pointless, but yet people go crazy over it.

98% of draft decisions should be based on their body of work - game tape, interviews, criminal records, etc. The only thing the combine should be used for is to maybe identify some lesser known talents like Tariq Woolen, so you can go back and evaluate the important stuff.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 10, 2023 11:24 am

Here it says it's pretty highly predictive in terms of success at being a offensive lineman.

He is referring to offensive linemen
Putting that all together, that’s 11 of 16 (68.75%) players who meet nothing more than these two physical requirements and all 11 appear to be at least replacement level starters in the NFL, if not significantly better. That 68.75% success rate is phenomenal at any point in the draft, even the top of the first. And that’s based on nothing more than two metrics, the 40 and the broad jump.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/3/5/170 ... yron-trent