Cliff Avril talks D-Line

D-train

Re: Cliff Avril talks D-Line

Post by D-train » Thu May 11, 2023 4:47 pm

Bob put out his first roster prediction in the times today and he has one of the undrafted free agents making the roster as a DT
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 11, 2023 4:52 pm

Says 330 lb Robert Cooper out of Florida state will make it if Mone isn't ready and they don't find anyone else
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu May 11, 2023 4:55 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Bob put out his first roster prediction in the times today and he has one of the undrafted free agents making the roster as a DT
Not surprise. I'm certain it will be Tavai. The guy was like a gift in most of my mocks in the 5th or later rounds. Very fortunate pick up as an UDFA.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu May 11, 2023 5:13 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:55 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Not surprise. I'm certain it will be Tavai. The guy was like a gift in most of my mocks in the 5th or later rounds. Very fortunate pick up as an UDFA.
+1. The guy was a first team all american. Undersized (Poona-esque), but the kid sure looks like he can play.

Can't wait for pre-season to see how all these kids work out.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 11, 2023 5:44 pm

I wonder why Bob picked Cooper over him then? Because he's bigger?
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu May 11, 2023 8:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:44 pm
I wonder why Bob picked Cooper over him then? Because he's bigger?
Cooper is also a promising prospect. Being huge is probably the biggest reason, though. All things being equal, finding a guy 330 lbs that can play is harder than finding a 300 lb guy that can play.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 11, 2023 9:20 pm

Hawks sign another DE. Pretty Meh.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/mario-edwards/9468
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri May 12, 2023 1:11 am

D-train wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:20 pm

another DE, still no interior guys. I just don't get it. Mario Edwards was a highly regarded prospect at one point, so another reclamation project, hoping to tap into the wasted talent.

He's supposedly a really good run defender, not so great pass rusher, so maybe he'll help.
Last edited by SeattleAddict on Fri May 12, 2023 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri May 12, 2023 2:02 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:11 am
D-train wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:20 pm

another DE, still no interior guys. I just don't get it. Mario Edwards was a highly regarded prospect at one point, so another reclamation project, hoping to tap into the wasted talent.

He's supposedly a really good run defender, not so great pass rusher, so maybe he'll help.
I don't get it either. They can restructure for Mario Edwards but not Al Woods or Poona Ford. They must feel really comfortable with their interior rotation going forward.

Just found this from Corbin Smith:

While Edwards has never lived up to his draft billing as a pass rusher with a mere 19.5 career sacks and 46 quarterback hits in 99 career games, the versatile 280-pound defender’s stout run defense has traveled with him everywhere he has played. Despite playing only 112 snaps as a run defender in 2022, PFF handed him a stellar 72.0 grade, which ranked 20th out of 82 qualified edge defenders. He also ranked eighth in run stop percentage (9.6 percent).

In eight NFL seasons, Edwards has earned at least a 65.0 run defense grade six times. Given Seattle’s major issues stopping opposing running backs a year ago with a dreadful 31st overall ranking, he would be a welcome addition in the trenches with the flexibility to line up as a 3-tech defensive tackle, a 5-tech defensive end in even fronts, or even a nose in pass rushing situations.

Creating more intrigue, Edwards pass rushing capabilities may be more than meets the eye with raw sack numbers. For the Bears in 2020, he posted a respectable 11.5 percent pressure rate on the way to a career-high in sacks. Nearly as effective with the Titans last season, he posted a 10 percent pressure rate while setting new personal bests in pressures and quarterback hits, proving himself more disruptive invading the pocket than earlier in his career.

Seeking capable veterans who fit their hybrid 3-4 scheme at an affordable price point, Edwards provides invaluable experience and his consistent performance as a stout run defender in the trenches will be welcomed in the Pacific Northwest. Rotating behind Jones and Reed, he should be in line for extensive work as a 3-tech defensive end with his new team.

Sounds like what we needed – a stout, experienced run defender to add to the rotation!

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 12, 2023 10:33 am

Yeah NTs are almost never considered pass rushers for obvious reasons but it isn't like every single running play is either right up the middle or a sweep. The DEs have to be good run stoppers too for runs at or near them and guessing they sucked last year.
dt