Lockett restructures

maoling

Re: Lockett restructures

Post by maoling » Mon May 15, 2023 4:20 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 3:48 am
I doubt they would want to restructure Jamal. It doesn't cost the player anything, it's to their favor. It converts salary that's not guaranteed to a bonus that is guaranteed.
The classic restructure is what is known as a “simple restructure”, in which the player’s Base Salary is reduced down to the applicable league minimum and the difference is immediately paid to the player as a Signing Bonus, which is then prorated over the remaining years of the contract. So, again, the player is receiving nothing less than he was original supposed to. In fact, he’s receiving the bulk of the money sooner as a Bonus, instead of spread out over the 17 weeks of the season

So, if I were Jamal and I'm not, I would ask the Hawks if he can announce that he wants to give up his salary this year and free up cap space for the future -- until he actually contributes something on the field.

Donn Beach

Re: Lockett restructures

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 15, 2023 4:45 am

Well he did contribute his body didn't he, his health. I suppose Jamal could announce whatever he wants to announce in regards to wanting to help the team but I doubt players are in position to lower the cap for their team like that