Burrow might follow Mahomes...doing what I asked years ago and was laughed at.

Michael K.

Re: Burrow might follow Mahomes...doing what I asked years ago and was laughed at.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 19, 2023 7:23 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:42 pm

:roll:
As everyone knows, I enjoy a good debate. What don't you agree with? The part where Mahomes signing a long term deal is good for the team, or the part where these QBs that want to reset the market every third year when they are still signed for a 4th year is bad for the team?

SeattleAddict

Re: Burrow might follow Mahomes...doing what I asked years ago and was laughed at.

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm

I don't get all the talk about Mahomes signing a team friendly contract. There are only two reasons it was team friendly: it was crazy long by today's standards (10 years) which allows flexibility to move things around and 2, it is for Patrick Mahomes. Signing anybody to a 10-year deal, you have to be absolutely sure he's going to be what Patrick Mahomes has been. If he turned out to be Carson Wentz, Jared Goff or even Tua or RW of last year, then the contract would be crippling for years to come. The fact that he delivered multiple Super Bowls made the deal 100% "team friendly" but is Burrow that guy? I'm not so convinced he's not just another flash-in-the-pan or 'pretty good' level QB.

I get a bad taste in my mouth any time a player - especially a QB - has to be the highest paid at his position. That's just ego-driven and shows a priority of money over winning. All fair and good to get what you can get, but having to be the top paid guy, you better be the top guy. I respect Mahomes, knowing he could maybe squeeze an extra $30 million out of KC, but preferring to have a bunch of Super Bowl rings to ensure his legacy. The difference in your life having $400 million and $500 million isn't going to be that much.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 19, 2023 8:20 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm
I don't get all the talk about Mahomes signing a team friendly contract. There are only two reasons it was team friendly: it was crazy long by today's standards (10 years) which allows flexibility to move things around and 2, it is for Patrick Mahomes. Signing anybody to a 10-year deal, you have to be absolutely sure he's going to be what Patrick Mahomes has been. If he turned out to be Carson Wentz, Jared Goff or even Tua or RW of last year, then the contract would be crippling for years to come. The fact that he delivered multiple Super Bowls made the deal 100% "team friendly" but is Burrow that guy? I'm not so convinced he's not just another flash-in-the-pan or 'pretty good' level QB.
The team can cut him, he can't get out of the contract unless he holds out, which means they don't have to pay him. The team doesn't have the same amount of risk, IMO. And I imagine a lot of his money is guaranteed. Still, just knowing that he isn't going to have his contract reworked to ensure that someone like Watson isn't making more?
SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm
I get a bad taste in my mouth any time a player - especially a QB - has to be the highest paid at his position. That's just ego-driven and shows a priority of money over winning. All fair and good to get what you can get, but having to be the top paid guy, you better be the top guy. I respect Mahomes, knowing he could maybe squeeze an extra $30 million out of KC, but preferring to have a bunch of Super Bowl rings to ensure his legacy. The difference in your life having $400 million and $500 million isn't going to be that much.
Which is why this is a good deal. He has already been surpassed and isn't the highest paid player. By the time this deal is up he won't even be close, because others will sign shorter deals so they can "reset the market". This is EXACTLY why guys like Rodgers and Wilson started talking extension two years into four year deals. They signed a deal and then cried because others got more. So, they signed short term deals. Sorry, the only person taking any risk, although it is a rather small one, is Mahomes. The reason guys sign short deals is to ensure they can ask for more money sooner. Pat can't do that now.

I'm not saying he is underpaid. This is just far more team friendly than deals many others are signing.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri May 19, 2023 9:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:23 pm
Pharmabro wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:42 pm

:roll:
As everyone knows, I enjoy a good debate. What don't you agree with? The part where Mahomes signing a long term deal is good for the team, or the part where these QBs that want to reset the market every third year when they are still signed for a 4th year is bad for the team?
The part where you take an insanely rich a QB and other insanely rich QBs and say these ones are immoral selfish ones and these ones here those ones are selflessly serving team-1st guys as contract they carry is for 1/2 a billion.

But, what really stick out to me is when Russ was good he was great. I had professors running around "Go-Hawks" "Let Russ Cook". Now, that Russ is out. It is not thank you for your services and we had a great time cheering for you. It is: Golden Tate pounded that real-good, Russ is too-short to hit the tight end over the middle, All the sacks were always his fault, He sold his soul to Sierra and corporate satan, Pete was not a liberal ra-ra guy that called a conservative game and held Russ back he is the genius that propped up Poopy Russ and masked his deficits. Fk Russ, etc, etc.

I see a number of poster's posting the same tired vein of jilted sports fanboy. It gets old.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat May 20, 2023 12:23 am

Michael K. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:20 pm

Which is why this is a good deal. He has already been surpassed and isn't the highest paid player. By the time this deal is up he won't even be close, because others will sign shorter deals so they can "reset the market". This is EXACTLY why guys like Rodgers and Wilson started talking extension two years into four year deals. They signed a deal and then cried because others got more. So, they signed short term deals. Sorry, the only person taking any risk, although it is a rather small one, is Mahomes. The reason guys sign short deals is to ensure they can ask for more money sooner. Pat can't do that now.

I'm not saying he is underpaid. This is just far more team friendly than deals many others are signing.
I never said it wasn't a good deal. Just that it's a good deal because he's Patrick Mahomes. Really, he's been worth whatever they pay him. His contract is absolutely more team friendly than some others - because those others are ridiculous. Watson's is the worst. Jackson's horrible, Wilson's is hilari... um, horrible. Hurts' will probably cripple his team, Rodgers' would as well, if he doesn't retire next year. Kyler Murray getting paid anything is overpaying... and those are just the ones getting paid more than Mahomes. So many lesser QBs making almost as much that don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath (D. Jones, Dak, Carr, Goff).

Actually, I don't think we're disagreeing about anything here lol. QBs make too much money. Very few do so in a way that allows their team to field a good roster. Brady was famous for it. This is one reason I like Geno... you don't get a whole lot more team friendly than what he signed. I'll root for him 'til the day he retires (or goes Dangeruss on us) because of it.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat May 20, 2023 4:35 am

Michael K. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:08 pm
Again, point missed.
Burrow would be stupid not to get the money while
the stick is hot. If he signs on to taking Mahomes' 2020 contract in 2023, he's dumber than I thought.
WTF? So, Mahomes didn't sign a team friendly deal, and it's all hindsight, but if Burrow does what Mahomes did he is stupid. WTF are you talking about? No one is saying he sign for 2020 money, just that he sign for the money now, and not try to reset the market every third season. I don't get what you don't get.
The article is bull shit. Do you have any links to an article from 2020 where owners were "swooning"?

It is the largest contract in sports history as Mahomes becomes the first athlete with a half-billion-dollar contract and the first NFL player to be the highest-paid athlete in the sports world....
https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-patrick ... -extension

Chiefs to give Patrick Mahomes new contract extension? GM Brett Veach says team open to readjusting deal
The Chiefs aren't going to rework Mahomes' deal anytime soon, but are monitoring the QB market
Jeff Kerr
By Jeff Kerr
Mar 1, 2023

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chie ... ting-deal/
Could the Chiefs reset the market again by signing Mahomes to a new contract and rework the current deal?
"I don't know," Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said at the NFL Scouting Combine Tuesday. "On one end, we have Pat's deal done. On the other end, we'll certainly have to monitor the rest of these deals. We have a lot of years with Pat's contract, so that's something we'll have to readjust as time goes."

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat May 20, 2023 5:18 am

While google surfing I found this -

Since 2000, these NFL QBs have signed 10-year contracts, per NFL Research.
Brett Favre ($100 million in 2001),
Drew Bledsoe ($103M, 2001),
Daunte Culpepper ($102M, 2003) and
Michael Vick ($130M, 2004)
Donovan McNabb inked a 12-year deal worth $115 million in 2002.

Favre played 7 more seasons for Green Bay after signing the 10 year.
Bledsoe was on the Patriots just that one year and then went to Buffalo after being replaced by the GOAT.
Culpepper played 4 more seasons with Minn.
Vick played 3 years on that contract before going to prison.
McNabb played 8 seasons on the 12 year contract.

I'd put the over/under on Mahomes' career left in KC at 5 more years. I would bet 'under' unless they re-adjust his contract.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat May 20, 2023 11:30 pm

And the decision will be THE TEAMS TO MAKE. Again, Pat has no leverage and can’t spend an entire off season talking about resetting the market. No one said Mahomes is going to starve, just that as far as QB contracts go, this one is good for the team. Also? Not bad for Pat. If they want to rework the deal later, that will be up for the team to decide. And Pat won’t have to if he doesn’t want. But he won’t be breaking the bank every third year because he is threatening to hold out and pissed off because he is now underpaid based on what other QBs are getting. If he does? What leverage will he have?

Again, I don’t get what people don’t get.