A fascinating look at YAC and how it is holding us back

Donn Beach

Re: A fascinating look at YAC and how it is holding us back

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 19, 2023 2:54 pm

Interesting, my days of following the huskies closely were behind me by then

I would watch husky games up until I moved with a friend and his father, the father being like in his mid eighties? He was an alum and still focused on the football program as anybody here. He was a surly bastard too, rip into them lol

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 19, 2023 3:02 pm

Yeah I have no idea why I took it so hard. We ended up 5-7 that season but I will never forget that game. I can't remember a single other game from that season.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 19, 2023 3:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:02 pm
Yeah I have no idea why I took it so hard. We ended up 5-7 that season but I will never forget that game. I can't remember a single other game from that season.
If I remember correctly, the officiating was putrid in that game. The Huskies scored two TDs that got called back, non of which was supported by any visual evidence besides TD Jesus. That is, if I am remembering the right game.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 19, 2023 3:24 pm

Maybe if either Schotenheimer or Waldren was capable of drawing up a screen play the Seahawks' YAC would be significantly better. And why they can't use DK's speed on quick slants the way the 49ers used Rice and Taylor is another mystery. Those are the plays that get you the YAC.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 19, 2023 3:37 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:24 pm
Maybe if either Schotenheimer or Waldren was capable of drawing up a screen play the Seahawks' YAC would be significantly better. And why they can't use DK's speed on quick slants the way the 49ers used Rice and Taylor is another mystery. Those are the plays that get you the YAC.
I agree with using DK that way. I always thought the issue was Russ, I mean, he did throw like six INTs in a row between the NFCCG and 2nd and Goal on slants. He just couldn't see it, right? That said, imagine how low our YAC would have been if we hadn't spent about 12 weeks of the year burning teams on that book leg roll out toss to the TE!? I just think it is a result of Pete's philosophy. Even at USC, they ran the ball and then went deep.

douche

Post by douche » Fri May 19, 2023 5:44 pm

Maybe if either Schotenheimer or Waldren was capable of drawing up a screen play the Seahawks' YAC would be significantly better. And why they can't use DK's speed on quick slants the way the 49ers used Rice and Taylor is another mystery.
I think this is a very good point. Makes me question the creativity (or lack thereof) in SEA's offense. But is it simply a lack of offensive creativity? Or are other teams simply able to execute against SEA due to a weakness in the defense? Likely both.
Last edited by douche on Fri May 19, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:02 pm
If I remember correctly, the officiating was putrid in that game. The Huskies scored two TDs that got called back, non of which was supported by any visual evidence besides TD Jesus. That is, if I am remembering the right game.
It was in South Bend and back and forth the whole game. If Tate didn't play that game we would won by at least 2 TDs.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 19, 2023 5:50 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:37 pm
I agree with using DK that way. I always thought the issue was Russ, I mean, he did throw like six INTs in a row between the NFCCG and 2nd and Goal on slants. He just couldn't see it, right? That said, imagine how low our YAC would have been if we hadn't spent about 12 weeks of the year burning teams on that book leg roll out toss to the TE!? I just think it is a result of Pete's philosophy. Even at USC, they ran the ball and then went deep.
And WHY not DK for the fly sweeps instead of the midgets they have used the past half decade???
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 19, 2023 7:21 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:50 pm

And WHY not DK for the fly sweeps instead of the midgets they have used the past half decade???
Trust me, watching Debo Samuel has always made me curious why DK can't play that role. He may not be able to straight up play tailback the way Debo does, but dang, look at all the creative ways the Niners get Debo and even Kittle the ball in space.

douche

Post by douche » Fri May 19, 2023 8:33 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:21 pm
Trust me, watching Debo Samuel has always made me curious why DK can't play that role. He may not be able to straight up play tailback the way Debo does, but dang, look at all the creative ways the Niners get Debo and even Kittle the ball in space.
Valid statement. Physically, Metcalf is the same height as Kittle and is younger than both him and Samuel. Plus he's a straight out physical specimen.

Must be the scheme.