OTAs thread

D-train

OTAs thread

Post by D-train » Sat May 20, 2023 3:23 pm

Bob Condotta By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

RENTON — For the first time since the end of a 2022 season that was a surprise to almost everyone but themselves, the Seahawks will reconvene at the VMAC again this week to practice together on one field, offense against defense.

The workouts come with the legalistic term organized team activities (OTAs) to differentiate them from other phases of the team’s offseason program in regards to what is allowed.

Seattle will conduct 10 OTAs, all of which are voluntary, beginning with Monday’s — one of three of which is also open to the media. The Seahawks will have a three-day minicamp June 6-8, which is mandatory and also open to the media.

Here are five things to watch as the Seahawks start to get back at it:

1. No, Jamal Adams and Jordyn Brooks aren’t there for now — but the team is more than just fine with it.
Coach Pete Carroll revealed last week that Adams and Brooks — each in recovery mode from serious injuries suffered last season — would remain in Texas for now to continue their rehab since neither would be able to do anything on the field if they were here.

That’s a not uncommon thing for rehabbing players to stay with their rehab programs this time of year.

But as happens in the 24/7/365 news cycle of the NFL, that became a point of discussion among some media and online last week.

The Seahawks are totally on board with the two continuing their rehab work elsewhere during what are, as mentioned, voluntary workouts.

Adams’ recovery from a torn left quad tendon suffered in the season opener against Denver last year is regarded as particularly tricky, and working out at his home in the Dallas area allows him not just to remain with the trainers he has worked with throughout but also remain close to the doctors who performed the surgery and can continue to monitor him.

And while Adams has done most of his rehab work at home, he has been around the team a few times since his injury, including attending the playoff game at San Francisco in January.

He also has attended meetings via Zoom and has regular check-ins with the team remotely (Brooks, who suffered an ACL injury Jan. 1, obviously has all those same capabilities for attending meetings remotely).

And players doing their rehab in their home area is hardly rare — as safety Quandre Diggs noted on social media, he rehabbed a year ago in Austin.

As Carroll said last week, each is expected back at some point during the offseason program.

“They’ll be here in a while,” Carroll said.

But for now, as Carroll said, “There’s no rush for them to be here because they can’t do the work yet. And they’re in really good setups where they are.”

2. How will the interior defensive line come together?
What remains the biggest question mark for the Seahawks is the interior defensive line, or the three down linemen in the team’s base 3-4 defense, and particularly the nose tackle spot.

But some acquisitions in the draft and in free agency since then have beefed up the spot considerably, and the thought is that for now, the Seahawks are pretty much done making any more additions up front, content to see what they have and make moves later if necessary, especially during training camp when player cuts are made.

The Seahawks are thought particularly pleased with what they saw out of defensive end Mike Morris, a fifth-round pick out of Michigan, during the team’s rookie minicamp, and also expect veteran Mario Edwards — who signed last Monday — to be a significant contributor. Each plays the end spots, where Seattle also in the offseason signed Dre’Mont Jones and Jarran Reed, the projected starters, replacing the two primary starters a year ago, Poona Ford and Shelby Harris.

Seattle also liked what it saw out of rookie fourth-round pick Cameron Young at nose tackle in the rookie minicamp and have since added to that spot with veteran free agent signees Forrest Merrill and Austin Faoliu.

Faoliu signed with the Seahawks after taking part in rookie minicamp as a tryout player. And the 6-3, 305-pound Faoliu, who played at Oregon and spent the 2021 season with Dallas, should be able to hit the ground running after a strong season with the Seattle Sea Dragons in which he was named to the All-XFL team. He will be given every chance to show he can have a significant role on the team this season.

3. Will Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Devon Witherspoon begin to do more?
Seattle’s top two picks — Witherspoon, a cornerback taken fifth out of Illinois; and Smith-Njigba, a receiver taken 20th out of Ohio State — were limited in rookie minicamp due to lingering hamstring issues. Neither issue appears to be a big deal, though obviously any mention of a hamstring in connection with Smith-Njigba is worth watching since the injury held him to just three games last year with the Buckeyes. Each player insisted that they are just fine and were simply being eased into things.

That obviously raises the hope and expectation that each will get fully onto the field soon and begin to more clearly show Seattle what it has in players who many around the league said were the best corner and receiver available in the draft.

Carroll said last week the plan is for Smith-Njigba to play primarily in the slot to start out, pairing with Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf in three-receiver sets. That’s something Seahawks understandably can’t wait to see.

4. Will any undrafted free agents begin to make a real name for themselves?
The Seahawks now have 23 undrafted free agents on their roster, one of the biggest UDFA classes in the team’s recent history.

Sponsored
That Seattle also has a pretty large 10-man draft class, who all appear to have clear paths to spots on the 53-man roster, will make it competitive for any of the UDFAs to get a spot.

But a few usually emerge — safety Joey Blount made it a year ago as a UDFA. One who seems sure to make it is Chris Stoll of Penn State, the only long snapper on the roster.

A few other UDFAs who looked like players to watch following rookie camp are nose tackles Robert Cooper (Florida State) and Jonah Tavai (BYU), at a spot where the Seahawks will be looking for depth; receivers Matt Landers (Arkansas), Jake Bobo (UCLA) and Tyjon Lindsey (Oregon State) and cornerback Arquon Bush (Cincinnati, where he was a teammate of Coby Bryant’s).

Quarterback Holton Ahlers of East Carolina also has a clear path to a spot on the practice squad as the third quarterback — he’s the only QB on the roster other than vets Geno Smith and Drew Lock. But in the “Always Compete” world of the Seahawks, Ahlers will have to earn it, and performance against veterans beginning this week will start to tell a lot.

5. It’s Geno’s team now.
A year ago, the Smith-Lock battle was the first topic of interest. Now, the QB roles are clear, with Smith also now an unquestioned offensive leader. But the Seahawks are also hoping that having had a year in the system will make a world of difference for Lock, who knows this is his time to further show coaches and teammates that he’ll be able to do the job this year if called upon.
dt

SeattleAddict

Re: OTAs thread

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue May 23, 2023 4:24 pm

Per Brady Henderson:

Quick notes from the Seahawks’ first OTA. -Witherspoon and Smith-Njigba still somewhat limited but both did more than in rookie camp. -Woolen, Taylor, Edwards, Dickson among vets not there (in addition to the guys rehabbing). (OTA’s are voluntary.) -Eskridge looks healthy/explosive

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 23, 2023 4:53 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:24 pm
Per Brady Henderson:

Quick notes from the Seahawks’ first OTA. -Witherspoon and Smith-Njigba still somewhat limited but both did more than in rookie camp. -Woolen, Taylor, Edwards, Dickson among vets not there (in addition to the guys rehabbing). (OTA’s are voluntary.) -Eskridge looks healthy/explosive
Progression is good. Bet they are 100% participating at the start of Training camp and maybe even June OTAs. If Eskridge can FINALLY be a factor this might be the best WR group in the NFL.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 23, 2023 5:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:53 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:24 pm
Per Brady Henderson:

Progression is good. Bet they are 100% participating at the start of Training camp and maybe even June OTAs. If Eskridge can FINALLY be a factor this might be the best WR group in the NFL.
I anticipate us having the best trio of WRs in the league. After that I have no belief that we have anyone playing WR that will be much of a contributor. TE and RB is going to have to be our pass catching options after the top three WRs, in my opinion. I don't have much faith in Godwin or Eskridge staying healthy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 23, 2023 6:29 pm

Geno thinks you are crazy!!!!! lol
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
RENTON — The Seahawks held the first of what are nine scheduled OTAs (organized team activities) on Monday at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center.

The workouts are the first for Seattle in which the team can work 11-on-11 and represent the first chance to get a look at the team following free agency and the draft.

Here are some observations:

Top picks still a little limited
It’s worth reiterating that OTAs are voluntary and noncontact, and devoted heavily to learning and installing the playbook. So, the team uses caution with anyone’s health in terms of on-field drills since much of the learning work can be accomplished anyway.

But, one obvious focus of attention during these sessions is the performance of Seattle’s first two picks, cornerback Devon Witherspoon (fifth overall) and receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba (20th). Each had been limited during rookie minicamp two weekends ago.

Each appeared to do a little more Monday, but they were a step short of full go.

Smith-Njigba took part in some individual and position drills and a walk-through, and Witherspoon got some work at cornerback.

With cornerback Tariq Woolen not present for unknown reasons — coach Pete Carroll did not talk to the media afterward — Witherspoon often lined up with the first-team defense at one corner spot, with Michael Jackson usually on the other side, but Tre Brown also. That Seattle later in the day re-signed veteran cornerback Artie Burns, though, was at least somewhat intriguing given that the Seahawks seem to be fairly well set at corner. But the Seahawks may also simply want some veteran depth and with a player who has knowledge of the system.

A good day for Dee
There has been much discussion of where Seattle’s first pick in the 2021 draft — receiver Dee Eskridge, taken 56th overall — fits into things after the drafting of Smith-Njigba, who projects as the third receiver alongside DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett and likely to play primarily out of the slot.

That’s exactly the role the team once envisioned for Eskridge before he struggled through two injury-plagued seasons, held to 17 catches in 20 games the past two seasons.

But Monday, Eskridge was all over the place, working often with the first offense (among other WRs present but not taking part in team drills were Cade Johnson, finished last season as the third receiver, and UDFA signee C.J. Johnson).

Quarterback Geno Smith said afterward he has been impressed by the work Eskridge has done this offseason.

“Dee is going to do some things,’’ Smith said. “He’s getting ready to do many things. I know things have started slow for him but (that) doesn’t matter. He is a physical specimen. He’s got everything it takes. He’s studying his butt off. I’ve been with him every single day and we are watching extra film and he looks to be really taking that next step.’’

Smith said he has worked out with Eskridge this offseason in Florida.

“We trained together last year and this season we spent a bunch of time together and we are going to train again once we get a break from here,’’ Smith said. “We are all collectively working together, but Dee and I have been really close as of late. I really see the growth in his mindset and his mentality. He wants it. He’s always wanted it and he’s always had that ability, but obviously he’s had some setbacks. But I can see just in his mental makeup that he’s ready to take that next step and it’s my job to help him and that’s why I want to be there with him. He’s working his butt off. He’s super explosive out here on the field. He’s one of the more explosive guys I’ve ever seen. If we can get him where I think he’ll be, I think it will help us out a lot.’’

A new addition up front
Before the Seahawks took the field Monday the team announced it had signed nose tackle LaTrell Bumphus, an undrafted free agent out of Tennessee, and released linebacker Chris Garrett to make room on the 90-man roster.

Bumphus becomes the seventh nose tackle on the roster — a spot that has gotten a lot of attention after the release of Al Woods and with Bryan Mone continuing to recover from a December ACL injury.

Mone was present for Monday’s OTA but, as expected, did not take part in any drills.

So, the Seahawks have six healthy nose tackles — all players Seattle has either drafted or signed over the last month.

The six: Cameron Young, a fourth-round pick out of Mississippi State; UDFA signees Bumphus, Robert Cooper of Florida State and Jonah Tavai of San Diego State; and veteran signees Austin Faoliu and Forrest Merril. Faoliu, who just finished his season with the Sea Dragons of the XFL, did not take part in team drills Monday.

Bumphus was present and took part in drills, but obviously one noncontact OTA is not enough to make a real assessment of where things stand at nose tackle. But, if nothing else, Seattle at least has depth in numbers at a spot of need.

Myles Adams, listed as a defensive end, can also play nose tackle and saw some time there Monday.

Quick hitters
— So again, these are voluntary sessions and players often come and go. But a few others who were not seen were DE Mario Edwards, Jr. — who signed last week — DE/LB Darrell Taylor, FB/LB Nick Bellore, DE/LB Alton Robinson and punter Michael Dickson. Among those who did take part fully was LB Tyreke Smith, a fifth-round pick in 2022 who missed all of his rookie season due to injury.

— As expected — but still worth noting — free-agent signee Evan Brown worked with the first team at center. Brown played guard last year with Detroit but played center in 2021, and the Seahawks view his best position as center where he is the leader to replace last year’s starter, Austin Blythe. Seattle also drafted Olu Oluwatimi out of Michigan in the fifth round and he will compete at center, as will Joey Hunt.

— Abraham Lucas, who started at right tackle last season, was present but did not take part in 11-on-11 drills (again, with Carroll not speaking, there was no explanations for why some players were out), which had Jake Curhan taking over that spot. But the rest of the OL was as expected with Charles Cross at left tackle and Damien Lewis and Phil Haynes at guard.

— With Jamal Adams not present while rehabbing from injury, Quandre Diggs and free-agent signee Julian Love worked with the starting unit at safety. Joey Blount, who ended last year on injured reserve due to a knee injury, appears to be fully recovered and got regular work at safety.

— Bush, signed as a free agent in March, is wearing No. 0 — he had been listed as 11 but that number now belongs to Smith-Njigba. Bush regularly lined up as one of the starting inside linebackers alongside Bobby Wagner.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 pm

Reminds me of when Jerry DiPoto was raving about how healthy and great Evan White was at the start of ST. He had one hit in ST and one hit in Tacoma and just had another major surgery today.
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue May 23, 2023 7:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 pm
Reminds me of when Jerry DiPoto was raving about how healthy and great Evan White was at the start of ST. He had one hit in ST and one hit in Tacoma and just had another major surgery today.
But it's Smith talking, not Pete. It's great to see Geno taking him under his wing to give the guy the best opportunity possible. I don't know if he's going to make it or not, but he seems to be giving 100%

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 pm
But it's Smith talking, not Pete. It's great to see Geno taking him under his wing to give the guy the best opportunity possible. I don't know if he's going to make it or not, but he seems to be giving 100%
Yeah Geno definitely going out on a limb for him but I believe it when I see it. I never found him impressive even when healthy.
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue May 23, 2023 8:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Yeah Geno definitely going out on a limb for him but I believe it when I see it. I never found him impressive even when healthy.
are you talking about Eskridge? When have we actually seen him healthy? He had one end around his rookie year and looked like he was going to be Percy Harvin-esque. Then he took that huge shot to his head and he hasn't been the same since.

Like everybody, I'm hoping he has a break out year. What a huge win that would be - even if he returns kicks and runs an occasional gimmick play, that's a difference making change. My hopes aren't high, but there are at least SOME hopes.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue May 23, 2023 8:17 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:02 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:41 pm

are you talking about Eskridge? When have we actually seen him healthy? He had one end around his rookie year and looked like he was going to be Percy Harvin-esque. Then he took that huge shot to his head and he hasn't been the same since.

Like everybody, I'm hoping he has a break out year. What a huge win that would be - even if he returns kicks and runs an occasional gimmick play, that's a difference making change. My hopes aren't high, but there are at least SOME hopes.
Yeah, I think Esk and MacIntosh could be a dynamic duo on special teams for returners. Esk had a shitty catch rate so I don't know if he'll ever develop the hands to be anything more than an emergency WR, but that kid is straight lightnin'