Holten Ahlers Courtesy Thread

maoling

Holten Ahlers Courtesy Thread

Post by maoling » Mon May 29, 2023 3:36 am

Have we already found our sleeper QB of the future?

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/holtonahlers

This doesn't seem like a Seneca, Tarvaris or random Jacob, Clipboard Jesus, Stan Gelbaugh fill-in sign or draft type of move for them. This guy is huge, a mud bone and is going to be about 25 or so next birthday.

Donn Beach

Re: Holten Ahlers Courtesy Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 29, 2023 4:35 am

Be nice if he had an arm

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon May 29, 2023 6:27 am

the great thing about this time of year is everybody is potentially a future superstar. The bad part about this time of year is we have never seen these guys play, and only have what "experts" have said about them.

This is one of the kids I'm looking forward to seeing in the preseason. Multiple places have rated the Seahawks' UDFA class the best in the league, and that's on top of one of the best rated draft classes. There is a lot of potential there... some of them are gonna suck, but odds are a few of them are going to be pleasant surprises.

I'd love to see Ahlers ball out and take Lock's job, but there's a reason he wasn't drafted.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 29, 2023 11:22 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:27 am
the great thing about this time of year is everybody is potentially a future superstar. The bad part about this time of year is we have never seen these guys play, and only have what "experts" have said about them.

This is one of the kids I'm looking forward to seeing in the preseason. Multiple places have rated the Seahawks' UDFA class the best in the league, and that's on top of one of the best rated draft classes. There is a lot of potential there... some of them are gonna suck, but odds are a few of them are going to be pleasant surprises.

I'd love to see Ahlers ball out and take Lock's job, but there's a reason he wasn't drafted.
Plenty of vids of him on the internets. Maybe you are referring to seeing him play vs. NFL defenses.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 29, 2023 1:16 pm

Sounds every bit the guy that can have success in college because he is big and can run that isn't going to translate to the pros. That jump is huge, see nothing to be excited about
The loop in his motion delays his release and gives defenders time to react. Ahlers doesn’t have the velocity to consistently drive throws to the sideline with the pace to match small windows. He doesn’t have the arm talent to consistently unlock the deep third of the field.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Mon May 29, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 29, 2023 1:28 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 1:16 pm
Sounds every bit the guy that can have success in college because he is big and can run that isn't going to translate to the pros. That jump is huge, see nothing to be excited about
The loop in his motion delays his release and gives defenders time to react. Ahlers doesn’t have the velocity to consistently drive throws to the sideline with the pace to match small windows. He doesn’t have the arm talent to consistently unlock the deep third of the field.
Yeah I am usually a big fan of unheralded guys that were very productive in college but just watching him throw.....it just doesn't look like a NFL QBs throwing motion. Just odd looking.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 29, 2023 1:32 pm

."One thing, for sure, in our quarterback spot: we want guys that can throw the ball down the field,” Carroll stated. “You know, 'cause we can get deep, we've always been an explosive-oriented passing game and we want to continue to do that to compliment with the balance in the run game. And these guys [star receivers], they need a big-armed guy. As far as that's concerned, you know Geno [Smith], Drew [Lock], those guys can chuck it. Jake [Eason] can throw the ball a ton. That's a big deal for us."
Guess what, I like guys that can chuck it too. I'm thinking they plan to convert him to an offensive lineman.
He doesn’t have the arm talent to consistently unlock the deep third of the field.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon May 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Sounds like a Ben Roethlisberger type of QB with less arm strength. I'm not sure the Seahawks pass blocking is good enough for someone like that.

maoling

Post by maoling » Mon May 29, 2023 3:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:35 am
Be nice if he had an arm
Thanks, Donn. Here's a bowl of my corn flakes if you want to take a crap in it.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 29, 2023 4:21 pm

It's what I am reading there, everything is about his ability to run