Luke Willson on KJ's Podcast - EPIC

auroraave

Luke Willson on KJ's Podcast - EPIC

Post by auroraave » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:29 pm

This is pretty epic - talks team chemistry - LOB - the Super Bowl - why he retired suddenly. It's long - but I highly recommend - even if you only watch a few minutes - good luck stopping once you start it - easily one of the most interesting and honest takes on Seahawk football.

UPDATE - If you want the Super Bowl scoop - jump to 11:00 minutes in - willson goes through it ALL and it's awesome - including the goal line play they had teed up with Marshawn in the FB spot - but didn't use. Makes a comment on how good Bevell was - but that he was "hamstrung" I guess you can draw your own cnclusions.

48 minutes in - talks about the problem with trading jimmy graham for the beloved captain max unger "I played tight end - we didn't even throw to the tight ends!" it's a hilarous and honest take. Loves Jimmy - but the move made no sense to them.

before that they debate whether or not cringeruss will have a bounce back season. KJ thinks so, Luke and the other dude don't.

This is a must watch for seahawk fans - the best conversational piece I have ever seen on the team - and I'm only 30 minutes into it. KJ getting teary eyed reliving that SB loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWnS-Te ... thKJWright
Last edited by auroraave on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Merridew

Re: Luke Willson on KJ's Podcast - EPIC

Post by Jack Merridew » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:51 pm

Ah thynke yu'd bitter leave be'fer sum wun gits hert.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:58 am

that really WAS a great interview. Lots of stuff in there not talked about before... and I think he's spot on about Jimmy Graham. Russ wanted a weapon, and Jimmy was a weapon, but it completely botched the offense. Not Jimmy's fault, not Bevell's fault, it was just the wrong move.

douche

Post by douche » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:14 pm

Turns out the players were equally as baffled as the fans when it came to the Jimmy Graham acquisition and the SB loss.

Who'da thunk?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:06 pm

douche wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:14 pm
Turns out the players were equally as baffled as the fans when it came to the Jimmy Graham acquisition and the SB loss.

Who'da thunk?
I wasn't baffled by the move, I was baffled by how they handled the move. The first thing Pete did in camp was talk about how they were working on making Jimmy a hand in the dirt blocking TE. WTF!? When you trade for guys like Jimmy and Percy, you have to be willing to change your offense. I thought those moves meant they were willing to do that, but in reality, what they meant was they were going to trade for sports cars and try to make them SUVs.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 pm

100%

Why would you take players with freaky athleticism and attempt to turn them into plumbers?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:31 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 pm
100%

Why would you take players with freaky athleticism and attempt to turn them into plumbers?
Just Pete being Pete. I remember when they drafted Parkinson. The guy is listed as a TE, but was basically split out wide all the time while at Stanford. He excelled at it as well. Pete's first words were how they were going to fatten him up to be a better blocker. Why not just draft a blocking TE then? Same with Jimmy...why trade a Pro Bowl caliber Center for a Pro Bowl caliber pass catching TE if what you wanted was a Blocking TE?

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:19 pm

It's certainly a mystery. And in terms of time and money, it just doesn't make sense.

As for Harvin... he was a nut, but the guy was a freak and I'm still not sure that SEA utilized him as effectively as they could have.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:58 pm

Hard to utilize someone that can't get on the field.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:52 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 pm
100%

while I fundamentally agree, for all the times it's failed, it's also WORKED a bunch of times. Richard Sherman and Tariq Woolen were WRs. Sweeney was a DT moved to G. Dissley was a DT moved to TE. Michael Robinson was a QB moved to FB. Terrelle Pryor was a QB moved to WR.

Elsewhere, Antwaan Randle El went QB to WR, Devin McCourty, Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson were CBs that became all pro Safeties, Devin Hester was a CB, Todd Christensen was a FB and turned into a great TE, Dante Hall was a RB, Julian Edelman a QB, etc etc

It wasn't like they wanted to turn Graham and Parkinson into blocking TEs, just that they planned on asking them to do it more. I think it's logical to assume it's easier to teach a big guy that can catch to become a competent blocker than it is to turn a tackle into a receiver.

I'm not defending the Graham trade, just answering the question. The Graham trade was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for a QB that wanted an extra peg.