So much consternation, fretting and stressing all for not

D-train

So much consternation, fretting and stressing all for not

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:13 am

:lol: Probably hundreds of posts here during the off season about how the D line was still going to be terrible and we should have taken a D lineman early in the draft and how even though we completely revamped and replaced the 2022 DL we still needed more depth and we were going to be doomed again.

Tied for first in Sacks:

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/de ... 23/reg/all

6th in Run Defense:

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/de ... 23/reg/all
dt

D-train

Re: So much consternation, fretting and stressing all for not

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:15 am

Actually 4th in yards per carry
ypc.JPG
ypc.JPG (18.68 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm

Stats like this are completely misleading. 11 sacks in one game is going to massively skew the optics. That is not sustainable. Teams are not running the ball against seattle because they are having too much success PASSING it. Seattle is one of the worst pass defenses in the league giving up 280 YPG. You don't need to run the ball when the opposing team cannot stop the pass. As bad as denver's defense is... Seattle is right behind them in pass defense.

A bunch of highlights from one game against arguably the league's worst team means nothing - this defense is not that good. And on top of that, this offense sputtered most of the night and left too many points on the field. Injuries probably are impacting that.

I'm probably the only on one here who came away from that game even more concerned. Awful third down conversion rates again. Playing 15 yards off the ball on third and ten, bumbling offense. This game was ugly. Without the pick six and all those turnovers and sacks - seattle's offense was putrid. this reminded me of the 6-6 arizona game - hard to watch. Assembling all the defensive highlights and pretending the whole team shined is laughable.

SF is going to destroy this team. They are young and have a lot of growing up to do, witherspoon was amazing, hurtt finally mixed up the defense, but I did not come away impressed at all. Should have hung 40 on the giants but we managed to bumble around and keep it closer than it should have been.

Cue the "Seattle 70-3 over CInci" predictions. :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:37 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm
Stats like this are completely misleading. 11 sacks in one game is going to massively skew the optics. That is not sustainable. Teams are not running the ball against seattle because they are having too much success PASSING it. Seattle is one of the worst pass defenses in the league giving up 280 YPG. You don't need to run the ball when the opposing team cannot stop the pass. As bad as denver's defense is... Seattle is right behind them in pass defense.

A bunch of highlights from one game against arguably the league's worst team means nothing - this defense is not that good. And on top of that, this offense sputtered most of the night and left too many points on the field. Injuries probably are impacting that.

I'm probably the only on one here who came away from that game even more concerned. Awful third down conversion rates again. Playing 15 yards off the ball on third and ten, bumbling offense. This game was ugly. Without the pick six and all those turnovers and sacks - seattle's offense was putrid. this reminded me of the 6-6 arizona game - hard to watch. Assembling all the defensive highlights and pretending the whole team shined is laughable.

SF is going to destroy this team. They are young and have a lot of growing up to do, witherspoon was amazing, hurtt finally mixed up the defense, but I did not come away impressed at all. Should have hung 40 on the giants but we managed to bumble around and keep it closer than it should have been.

Agree our offense is still bumbling but if you are leading the league in sacks and 6th in run D the D line can't be remotely characterized as a problem that it was expected to be.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:37 pm
auroraave wrote:

Agree our offense is still bumbling but if you are leading the league in sacks and 6th in run D the D line can't be remotely characterized as a problem that it was expected to be.
they are only leading the league in sacks because of ONE game. Do you think they'll be leading the league in week 17? That's totally mischaracterizing the situation. And the run game stats are misleading - teams are CHOOSING to not run against them because they are having so much success passing. Seattle isn't stuffing the run - they are getting smoked in the passing game. Why would you run against defense that has almost the worst passing defense in the league? You attack the weakness, This isn't some insane running defense - it's a terrible passing defense.

You need to add context to this stuff. what DC bothers running against a defense that is giving up 280 YPG passing - in a passing league? I think the d will improve but this is just misleading IMO. We have this 'all world' secondary - giving up 280 YPG - THAT should be your take away. That is troubling.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:29 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:07 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:37 pm
auroraave wrote:

they are only leading the league in sacks because of ONE game. Do you think they'll be leading the league in week 17? That's totally mischaracterizing the situation. And the run game stats are misleading - teams are CHOOSING to not run against them because they are having so much success passing. Seattle isn't stuffing the run - they are getting smoked in the passing game. Why would you run against defense that has almost the worst passing defense in the league? You attack the weakness, This isn't some insane running defense - it's a terrible passing defense.

You need to add context to this stuff. what DC bothers running against a defense that is giving up 280 YPG passing - in a passing league? I think the d will improve but this is just misleading IMO. We have this 'all world' secondary - giving up 280 YPG - THAT should be your take away. That is troubling.
They are FOURTH in yards per carry and have been run on more than 17 other teams. So that part is made up and ignores the actual facts.

I agree that setting a team record for sacks is an aberration but you don't set a nearly half century record for sacks if your pass rush sucks.
rush.JPG
rush.JPG (29.92 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:06 pm

where did anyone say anything about the pass rush sucking? seattle had the luxury of barkley not suiting up - which would very likely have led to a much heavier rushing attack by the giants - reducing sacks and elevating rushing numbers - and all the teams seattle played before that were pass heavy teams. You are ignoring all that. As far as the pass rush sucking or the d line sucking - I don't know who you are arguing that with but I've never said that. The one monster running back seattle would have had to face so far this year - didn't even play. this is not some awesome run defense, they haven't faced any upper level rushing attacks. Cinci has a pretty good stable of backs. having a low YPC while playing the leagues worst running teams who are simultaneously throwing for 280 a game - isn't a win, IMO. But to each his own...

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:38 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:06 pm
where did anyone say anything about the pass rush sucking? seattle had the luxury of barkley not suiting up - which would very likely have led to a much heavier rushing attack by the giants - reducing sacks and elevating rushing numbers - and all the teams seattle played before that were pass heavy teams. You are ignoring all that. As far as the pass rush sucking or the d line sucking - I don't know who you are arguing that with but I've never said that. The one monster running back seattle would have had to face so far this year - didn't even play. this is not some awesome run defense, they haven't faced any upper level rushing attacks. Cinci has a pretty good stable of backs. having a low YPC while playing the leagues worst running teams who are simultaneously throwing for 280 a game - isn't a win, IMO. But to each his own...
Maybe you weren't on twitter and here much all off season. Literally saw hundreds of posts there and here concerned that the D line wasn't adequately addressed and bewilderment that they didn't take a D lineman with one of their early round picks and it turns out the concerns were unwarranted to date.

With you, I am only pointing out that the facts don't back up the claim that teams are just choosing to attack our shitty Pass defense thus the lack of rushing yards. Teams have tried to run on us more than the average team and we are 4th in yards per rush.

Lions are 10th in Rushing Yards
Rams are 18th
Carolina is 22nd

So prior to the Barkley less Giant have faced about average Rushing Offenses and our Run D has been very good and it has nothing to do with our shitty passing defense. Maybe they will end up sucking again by the end of the year but it seems that have fixed that problem despite almost nobody thinking they had.

btw the Bengals have the second fewest Rushing yards in the NFL so likely won't get tested next game.
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:17 pm

you're both overreacting. This game against a junior college o-line and one-look QB COMPLETELY skewed the results. The defense hasn't been tested by a good team or a top WR yet, and the one good team they played, they gave up 31 pts. This is not the LOB... but that's OK.

A game like Monday's also skews the offense's stat line. The game was well in hand, the entire O-Line was out (seriously not one single starter out there in their actual position), plus a hurt QB meant they really scaled back the play calling. Really amazing to me how people are glossing over the fact that we had backups in at EVERY POSITION on the O-Line, and talk about worrying about the offense. How many teams could have any success with 5 freaking backup O-linemen?? We saw how the Giants did with 3 linemen out.

So everybody should just chill. The pass rush isn't as good as it looked Monday. They are closer to the 5 they totaled the first 3 games than the 11-sack juggernaut. The offense isn't as anemic as it looked Monday, either. The run blocking was terrible for most of it, and the passing game was limited to protect the backups.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:17 pm

Bobby and Spoon have been excellent at run stop from their respective positions.