Seahawks vs Cardinals game thread

Seattle or Bust

Re: Seahawks vs Cardinals game thread

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:54 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:22 pm
Late to the party (and not to overstate the obvious), but this team needs a quality kick returner.
2x positions I've never understood teams don't uniquely draft and keep positions for:

KR and a goal line/short yardage back.

Instead, we got 5th string LB's dressing so they can not make a tackle in kick coverage.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:28 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:54 pm
douche wrote:
Late to the party (and not to overstate the obvious), but this team needs a quality kick returner.
2x positions I've never understood teams don't uniquely draft and keep positions for:

Instead, we got 5th string LB's dressing so they can not make a tackle in kick coverage.
Short Yardage back is something that is used a lot less than a guy making a tackle in coverage on special teams. I think you would change your tune about the time our kick cover unit gave up big plays because we didn't have the bodies to cover kicks. Not to mention, short yardage isn't about having a big dude run the ball, it's about scheme and the guys up front. Our short yardage is dog shit, because we run every play from the shotgun. Getting the next Jerome Bettis isn't going to change that, nor is it going to stop the O Line from allowing penetration on every snap around the goal line. I could be wrong, but I don't even remember Lynch being dominant from that formation. He kicked ass when we put Mike Rob in front of him and let him run downhill though.

Stop asking K 9 to take the fucking handoff seven yards back from a standstill position and defeat a goal line defense. They don't need a short yardage back, they need a better short yardage scheme. Get under center, get a fucking FB in front of him, let K9 run down hill with momentum and you'd be amazed how different this would look. OR? Spread the fucking field. Running a short yardage from a tight formation and then running out of the gun straight into the teeth of the defense is so fucking stupid. That said, we watched Geno take two or three snaps under Center and he fumbled one. So....maybe that's why?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 pm

Also nobody every says anything about it but throw to a guy at the 2 yard line on third and goal with a guy draped all over him is an idiotic decision too. If you are lucky and they guy does jump the route and go for a pick six you gain one fucking yard on third and goal. Either throw it in the end zone or throw away.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 pm
Also nobody every says anything about it but throw to a guy at the 2 yard line on third and goal with a guy draped all over him is an idiotic decision too. If you are lucky and they guy does jump the route and go for a pick six you gain one fucking yard on third and goal. Either throw it in the end zone or throw away.

You just described the throw to Lockett in the SB loss. :D

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:07 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:54 pm
douche wrote:

Remember Godwin Igwebuike? While he barely played on offense, he was solid as a kick returner with 308 yards on 11 returns, including a 50-yard return in 2022. I guess they decided they didn't need that guy.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:23 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:07 pm

Remember Godwin Igwebuike? While he barely played on offense, he was solid as a kick returner with 308 yards on 11 returns, including a 50-yard return in 2022. I guess they decided they didn't need that guy.
I really wanted them to bring him back. Even if he only gains a few yards more per return, he's a THREAT. That makes teams adjust, like squib kicks or kicks towards the sideline that sometimes go out of bounds. And maybe, just maybe, he breaks one. Kickoff returns for touchdowns are always game changing. No team out there is scared of DeeJay. Probably why he's actually having a pretty good statistical year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:01 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 pm

You just described the throw to Lockett in the SB loss. :D
Exactly! No way he gets in even if he catches it.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:30 pm

Wasn't Lockette in the endzone on that play?

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:40 pm

douche wrote:
Do quality kick returners even exist anymore? Remember Leon Washington? Percy. Devin Hester?
They changed the kickoff rules and teams seemed to lose interest.
I like DJ a lot. He seems like such a genuine kid. Yes - huge fuck up fumble. But usually he's trustworthy.

Iowa has a white kid that's a freaky returner. this one got called back, but it's evidence anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFw-MPzsqL4