Playoff picture

D-train

Playoff picture

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:50 pm

First of all we should win the last two but knowing us we will cough one up. Might still make the playoffs at 9-8 though:
dt

douche

Re: Playoff picture

Post by douche » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:35 am

Not to worry. Coach Carroll will implement the age-old proven formula of 'sleep-til-the-4th-quarter' (otherwise known as rope-a-dope) and eke out stunning and improbable victories to clinch! :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:11 am

So if the Packers hold on to win they would need to lose at home to the Bears for us to make the playoffs IF we win at AZ.
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:59 pm

I watched a couple games. I like the offense if Walker is out there. Defense doesn't make enough plays. Doesn't look like a Bowl contender. Draft position is probably better for the franchise. But, still, Go Bears!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:36 pm

There are a lot of people that like the offense when Walker is involved. Too bad two of those people are PC and Waldron.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:19 pm

As another poster mentioned, what if we make the playoffs? What does it matter? Another early exit, and then PC can tell everyone that we made the playoffs in a rebuilding year. 'Always Compete'.

Sure, it could be a lot worse. We could be a perennial loser and never have a sniff at the playoffs, but what's the point of fielding a team just over .500, squeaking into the playoffs only to be trounced? Does this franchise ever get back to the big game with this approach? It would be different if the team were improving, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

And I've said this before, but PC knew college players that were 'diamonds in the rough'. He doesn't coach against those players anymore, he doesn't see them up close like he used to (Baldwin, Sherman, etc.).

I think aurora makes a good point... this team likes to draft the skilled, flashy secondary guys, but ignore the trenches.

When's the last time this team had a legitimate run stuffer?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 pm

Remember when all anyone could talk about was how the salary cap would kill the Rams? They beat us twice this year, have been to the Super Bowl twice since our last one, winning one, and are currently in a better position to make the playoffs than we are. The Seahawks are very similar to the Mariners. Let's just be pretty good all the time and never contend. That's great, the fans will love it, we can say we have this great tradition, and make a shit ton of money.

I get it that we are not the Mariners, but it is funny that my two favorite teams have a fan base that are infatuated with salaries. Every other team in the NFL makes moves and everyone is like "how the fuck can they do that with the salary cap!?" When is the last time we ever wondered how we would make that move based on the salary cap? The poor Rams, two NFC Titles and one Super Bowl ring since we were last even in an NFCCG, and are just as good as we are right now. BUT, BUT, the salary cap, they will be in Salary Cap hell, remember? Just wait, it'll happen. Who cares!? That is the same BS that fans backing the Mariner FO are saying about Texas right now. Poor Texas.

Fine, stink for a year or two. The only reason the Rams stunk was Stafford got hurt. Sound familiar? How good were we when Russ got hurt? You miss every shot you don't take, and this team has taken a few shots (Harvin, Graham, Adams, Williams and Richardson), but they haven't been good ones. They don't have great aim I guess.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:27 pm

Worst case and most likely case is we win and finish with a winning record hurting our draft status and making it more likely PC is back next season and the Packers win and we miss the playoffs. If the Packers win I hope we lose badly.

Games are on at the same time.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:56 pm

So the likeliest reward for either the Packers or the Seahawks is the 7th seed spot which has so far yielded an 0-6 record in the previous years of this format.

Even if a #7 seed overcomes a #2 in the Wild Card, what do they get? A shot at the #1 seed in the next round. I suppose a play-off spot of any kind is coveted but it's an almost meaningless prize for either of them as progression towards the Championship games is somewhat unlikely. I can't ever see a #7 seed reaching a Super Bowl under this format.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:58 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 pm
Let's just be pretty good all the time and never contend.
It sure feels that way. And in the end, what does that get you? Bragging rights over your buddy who is a Browns or a Vikings fan. And that's about it.

And as D-train noted, '... most likely case is we win and finish with a winning record hurting our draft status and making it more likely PC is back next season...'.
Last edited by douche on Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.