Tackling

Donn Beach

Tackling

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:49 am

Really can't get over how the defense has cratered. There was a time when Pete's tackling technique was being copied around football. Now his players are using matador capes.

Back in 2014, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, with the help of former assistant Rocky Seto, did something that professional coaches would rarely ever do: Release an instructional video that would help teach other teams, coaches, and players replicate what the Seahawks do so well. That thing that they do so well is tackling, but Carroll felt an obligation to try and help others have the same level of success and technique as Seattle has in that regard because it seemed so beneficial to the safety of the game and long-term health of the players.

In the video, Carroll lays out six types of tackling techniques, including “Hawk Tackle,” “Tracking,” and “Compression Tackle,” all of which are meant to improve how a defender approaches and makes contact with the ball-carrier by taking the head out of the action. The shoulder-level, “rugby style” tackling techniques, which the Seahawks have been using every year under Carroll as he started coaching this as far back as his USC days, helped Seattle’s defense reach historical levels from 2012-2015; in their Super Bowl win over the Denver Broncos, the Seahawks had just two missed tackles in the 43-8 win, their second-best game of that season in that category. The success that their defensive backs have with tackling continues to this day:
Chris Ash, former co-defensive coordinator for the Buckeyes, said he watched the video at least 20 times when it came out in 2014.

“The Pete Carroll video really got a lot of people to go back and evaluate what they’re doing, but not a lot of people necessarily bought into it because it’s different,” Ash said. “ If you get out of your comfort zone, people are willing to do that. We did, and it paid off. … If you’re a coach that’s been doing the same thing for 30 years and felt like you’ve had success doing it, why am I going to change what I’m doing? I1 look at it differently. There’s always a way to do stuff better. You’ve got to at least evaluate it.”
Ash said it wasn’t exactly easy, but eventually convinced head coach Urban Meyer and Ohio State’s defensive assistants, to go along with Carroll’s technique. That takes some guts for a guy who was in his first season as the Buckeyes’ co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach. It’s a risk to just start changing how you teach players to do the one thing that happens on almost every play, which is tackling.

Ohio State won the national championship that following season
What happened?

Donn Beach

Re: Tackling

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:56 am

Field Gulls on how really bad the current defense is

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/2/240 ... is-opinion

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:29 pm

I swear I have heard this somewhere before. At least it will be worth it when he gets a HC job with another franchise and we get a Get Woke Go Broke DEI draft pick. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :? :? :?

From FG article:
His promotion in itself was a curious choice when you consider the lackluster results along the defensive line when he was a position coach from 2017-2021. Only once in five seasons as DL coach did Seattle have a pressure rate in the top-half of the league. The run defense was at least good enough in 2020 and 2021 but that’s fallen apart over the two seasons he’s been DC.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:31 pm

Maybe Hurtt can get a job as President of Harvard! :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh wait, he is a man so he might need to become a transwomen and I am sure he would be a shoe in! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/business ... index.html
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:55 pm

What does that have to do with tackling? Honest to God I don't get it. Hurtt is responsible for them not knowing how to tackle? There has to be coaching levels below DC that handle how to tackle. How did they go from being a premier tackling team to ten years later later not knowing how to tackle, we're blaming Hurtt, okay

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:55 pm
What does that have to do with tackling? Honest to God I don't get it. Hurtt is responsible for them not knowing how to tackle? There has to be coaching levels below DC that handle how to tackle. How did they go from being a premier tackling team to ten years later later not knowing how to tackle, we're blaming Hurtt, okay
Nothing. It was from the article you posted. Yes NFL players needing to be taught to tackle, something they have been taught as kids is beyond mind boggling.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:11 pm

I'm not against NFL players being taught how to tackle.Its that PC had once led the way in teaching them how to do it

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:30 pm

Probably had more to do with the players than the technique.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:51 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:30 pm
Yup - and it's not just the players - it's the league in general - defense hs been legislated out of the game in an effort to promote offense and ratings - while the NFLPA doesn't want players practicing at all in an effort to avoid injury. The players are far less interested in the team concept vs the 'I'm getting mine" philosophy that has permeated the league. The LOB was probably the last great defense we may ever see - because of legislation, NFLPA, selfish attitudes, and they were a group that was the last of the strong willed alphas that meant business. That NFL is gone. We are on the threshold of flag football. The fundamentals are long gone. It's not just Seattle, but they are clearly exhibit A. Because Seattle was SO good makes this version look so much worse. The quality of play across the league has cratered and it is not going to improve anytime soon.

I cannot possibly be the only one seeing this.
Last edited by auroraave on Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:51 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:30 pm
Bingo. Pete win with Lynch, a pretty damn good O Line, a QB that was a huge run threat and one of the best defenses of all time. How, he must be a genius. Especially since he is now coaching that very same style WITHOUT those players.