Geno Poll

Geno should he stay or should he go now?

Should be cut and will be cut
14%
Should be cut but won't be cut
43%
Should not be cut but will be cut
No votes
Should not be cut and will NOT be cut
29%
Won't be cut tomorrow but won't be Starting QB in 2024
No votes
Won't be cut tomorrow and will be Starting QB in 2024
14%

Total votes: 7

57reasons

Re: Geno Poll

Post by 57reasons » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:45 pm
Geno frustrates me, for sure. But if they don’t fix the defense it won’t matter who’s playing QB. Not having a second round pick, IMO, really limits our options. I think Geno is our guy next year.
well he's the guy for now, until someone better comes along, especially with the 12.7M guaranty kicking in. not that that paltry sum was ever going to be an obstacle - even if they'd wanted to flip to Lock to be the starter it wouldnt save much from that figure. But is Geno the long-term answer? doubt this new regime is sold on that, probably reserve judgement for a year to see how he does in the new offense. Arm strength and talent is there, so it wouldnt shock me if he becomes "the guy", but given the uncertainty i still think drafting a QB this year is very much in play, largely due to the colossal difference in QB talent between the 24 class and 25. Last year was pretty good, but i dont recall a QB class this advanced since the Andrew Luck/RG3/Russell draft.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:34 pm

They can trade him, get cap relief and add a pick. That is what I would do. Even with a slight downgrade at QB you can get much better in the trenches with the cap relief and the pick.
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:39 am

D-train wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:34 pm
They can trade him, get cap relief and add a pick. That is what I would do. Even with a slight downgrade at QB you can get much better in the trenches with the cap relief and the pick.
That all true, and dont get me wrong, trench upgrade is critical, second in importance only to QB.
But because of the severe dropoff at that spot next year, i'd be hugely disappointed to not come away with anything less than one of the second-tier QBs (Nix/Penix/Rattler/McCarthy) to challenge Geno. And wont cost a lot because there are 3 others ahead of those guys, plus a lot of depth at OT, DT and receiver (not a big need but just pushes everyone else down). So if you trade back and nab Penix or Nix somewhere in the 25 - 45 range, should still be able to score a solid Guard, Free Safety (Bullock/Brade/Bishop), LB, and TE, plus maybe a Maason Smith at DT in late 3rd/ early 4th. 3r
Or a primo interior lineman could be had first if you're satisfied with the choice of Rattler in the 3rd.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:02 am

57reasons wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:39 am
D-train wrote:
That all true, and dont get me wrong, trench upgrade is critical, second in importance only to QB.
But because of the severe dropoff at that spot next year, i'd be hugely disappointed to not come away with anything less than one of the second-tier QBs (Nix/Penix/Rattler/McCarthy) to challenge Geno. And wont cost a lot because there are 3 others ahead of those guys, plus a lot of depth at OT, DT and receiver (not a big need but just pushes everyone else down). So if you trade back and nab Penix or Nix somewhere in the 25 - 45 range, should still be able to score a solid Guard, Free Safety (Bullock/Brade/Bishop), LB, and TE, plus maybe a Maason Smith at DT in late 3rd/ early 4th. 3r
Or a primo interior lineman could be had first if you're satisfied with the choice of Rattler in the 3rd.
Why would there be a severe drop off when both MM and Grubb have brought up Lock without being prompted and despite the fact he is no longer a Seahawk....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:31 pm

By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
The news last week that Geno Smith’s 2024 base salary would become fully guaranteed might have seemed to quash any offseason drama revolving around the Seahawks’ quarterback position.

But to quote Lee Corso, “Not so fast, my friend.”

The guarantee of Smith’s $12.7 million base salary came with the caveat that the Seahawks could still explore trade options. They would not have to pay the salary if Smith were dealt.

There’s also the question of what becomes of backup Drew Lock.

The Seahawks seem to like him, with head coach Mike Macdonald and offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb volunteering his name when asked about the QB spot in recent days.

Lock can become an unrestricted free agent in March and said after the season that playing time will be a priority in his decision this year.

With the NFL scouting combine and free agency fast approaching, it’s time for our yearly offseason overview of the Seahawks’ position groups.

And we’ll start by examining the questions at quarterback.

Quarterback
STARTER
Geno Smith

Snaps played in regular season: 906 of 1,051.

Contract situation: Smith is entering the second season of a three-year deal signed last March. If he met every incentive, the deal could have paid him as much as $105 million. The contract includes various dates when salaries and bonuses come due. Smith made $27.5 million last season and as noted, had his $12.7 million base salary for 2024 guaranteed last week, meaning he is assured of making $40.2 million on that deal. Smith had made roughly $17.5 million in his career before signing that contract.

BACKUP
Drew Lock

Snaps played in regular season: 145 of 1,051.

Contract situation: Lock played last season on a one-year deal that paid him $4 million.

Others on roster: Sean Mannion finished the season on the practice squad but has since retired and been named as an offensive assistant coach with the Green Bay Packers.

2023 review
After an offseason of much conjecture about what the Seahawks might do at quarterback — remember the team’s QB selfie tour of Pro Days? — they ended up standing pat, re-signing Smith to be the starter and Lock to be the backup.

Smith’s raw numbers were all down from his breakout 2022 campaign — completion percentage from 69.8 to 64.7, TDs from 30 to 20 and rating from 100.9 to 92.1, to name a few.

Battling more injuries than he had the previous year — missing two games — and working behind an offensive line that was also more injury-prone and something of a revolving door all season — surely contributed.

Smith had his moments — often when it mattered most, throwing seven go-ahead or overtime TD passes, the most in a season in NFL history.

While QBs inevitably get more credit or blame, depending on how things are going, Smith was nowhere near the top of the list of the Seahawks’ problems in 2023.

Lock surely opened some eyes with his performance in two starts, most notably the late-game comeback against the Eagles.

The Seahawks went much of the year with just two QBs on the roster, but signed Mannion to the practice squad late in the year following the injuries to Smith.

2024 preview
That the clause guaranteeing Smith’s base salary triggered last week led to much speculation that he is assured of being the starter in 2024.

The Seahawks could still look to trade Smith, and his base salary, which is why an even more vital date may be March 18, when Smith is due a $9.6 million signing bonus.

That bonus can’t be traded, and if that date passes with Smith on the roster — and at that point guaranteed $22.3 million for 2024 — then you maybe can put his name in ink as the QB next season.

So, who might want Smith?

Five teams who appear potentially in need of a QB are Atlanta, Las Vegas, New England, Washington and Minnesota if the Vikings do not bring back Kirk Cousins.

Pittsburgh was thought to desire a veteran QB. But a report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette over the weekend stated that the Steelers “are not interested in bringing in a quarterback who wants to be a starter.”

Of course, Cousins becoming available would put him at the top of the list of veteran QBs teams would go after.

And, well, Russell Wilson also figures to become available. Should we even consider the idea that if the Broncos cut Wilson they’d be interested in trading again with the Seahawks for a QB?

There also are other veteran options for QB-needy teams to consider. Other QBs who can be free agents include Ryan Tannehill, Baker Mayfield (though he is widely expected to re-sign with Tampa Bay), Gardner Minshew, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, Mitchell Trubisky and Jameis Winston.

The broader point is that for a trade to happen, another team would need to think that Smith — who turns 34 in October — would be a plug-and-play answer as their starter this fall.

Conversations at the NFL scouting combine, which runs Feb. 26-March 4, figure to give Seahawks GM John Schneider a better idea of what kind of market there could be for Smith.

As for Lock, that Macdonald and Grubb each volunteered mentions of him when asked about the QB spot over the last few weeks was certainly intriguing.

If nothing else, it seemed to indicate the team hopes he’ll be on the roster in 2024. Re-signing with the Seahawks would seem to consign him to another year of backing up Smith.

A new offensive coordinator and a new system mitigates the advantages in returning. Lock said one reason he was content to come back in 2023 was that it would be a rare time in his career he’d be in the same system for a second straight season, something he felt would improve his game.

Conversely, it’s hard to assess what Lock’s market will be. It could well be that at least returning to a team that would want him, even in a backup role, turns out to be his best option.

Even if Smith and Lock return, drafting a QB can’t be ruled out. The Seahawks can again get out of Smith’s contract after this season, and Lock would logically sign a one-year deal if he returned.

The top three QBs — USC’s Caleb Williams, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels — will be gone when the Seahawks pick at 16.

Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy might be available, and Oregon’s Bo Nix and UW’s Michael Penix Jr. almost certainly will be.

When Pete Carroll was around, the Seahawks figured to be focused mostly on the present. A new coaching regime could mean being more receptive to drafting a QB to develop while also trying to win now.

Up next: Running backs.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm

So is that your prediction now, they use Lock as the starter?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:11 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm
So is that your prediction now, they use Lock as the starter?
No. Bob wrote that.
dt

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:08 pm

Sorry I posted this in the other thread without reading this first. Just watched a highlight video of Rattler. Gotta say the dude looked good. Definitely a possibility on Day 2.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:40 am

Trade Geno for a 3rd rounder. Start Lock. Draft a QB.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:22 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:02 am
57reasons wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:39 am
D-train wrote:
Why would there be a severe drop off when both MM and Grubb have brought up Lock without being prompted and despite the fact he is no longer a Seahawk....
Sorry to confuse ya, kinda forgot which chat topic i was in, all absorbed in the draft as i am. Severe dropoff in QB talent from the 24 draft to 2025, not too severe a dropoff from Geno to Lock i dont think.