Uhhhh major trade. Hawks have a new QB

maoling

Re: Uhhhh major trade. Hawks have a new QB

Post by maoling » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 am

Not a Geno-or-bust person, but there's no telling how he might perform with a defense that can get him more opportunities -- instead of a defense that is on the field the entire game, and an offense working under a new system, instead of PC's ever-mundane and predictable vanilla.

Of course they are going to give the nod to Geno right now, almost six months before Week One. I think we should all relax about the QB situation until this summer, and maybe smoke a bowl.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:50 am

trharder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:13 am
57reasons wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:32 pm
I'll take Gee's side on this in thinking there will be an open competition, much more so than with Lock. Geno may have goodwill with the teammates to start with, but if Howell shows at the VMAC like he did against us last year, they'll have no problem switching allegiances to the better performer. and the coaching staff having no previous ties to Geno, combined with Schneider's reluctance to publicly declare Geno the guy (until backed into a corner), all points to it being open to me. And the crucial thing is, Howell wins any tie because of his cap number.
I hope you and Gee are right.
Howell has a punchable-looking face. He just doesn't look like franchise QB to me.
If he snatches the job from Geno I'll be happy though.
Whose QB room do you like better: Steelers (Russ and Fields) or Hawks (Geno and Sam)? still enough bad taste leftover here that not too many locals will agree with me, but i'd have to favor Pittsburgh at this point - even without considering salary.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:34 am

Interesting to read the scouting reports on the two new LBs added. Seems they make a nice platoon - Dodson good against the run but cant cover, Baker can really run but can get bullied up front. No issue with Dodson if you just pull him for nickel DBs and it's not like we're used to great coverage from Bobby and Jordyn the last few years. But together they should be thought of as filling one starter role, not two. I'm sure we'll add at least a couple to that in the draft though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:08 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:34 am
Interesting to read the scouting reports on the two new LBs added. Seems they make a nice platoon - Dodson good against the run but cant cover, Baker can really run but can get bullied up front. No issue with Dodson if you just pull him for nickel DBs and it's not like we're used to great coverage from Bobby and Jordyn the last few years. But together they should be thought of as filling one starter role, not two. I'm sure we'll add at least a couple to that in the draft though.
Hopefully our opponents will let us know if they are running our passing before every play so we know which LB to put in the game....
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:31 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:50 am
Whose QB room do you like better: Steelers (Russ and Fields) or Hawks (Geno and Sam)? still enough bad taste leftover here that not too many locals will agree with me, but i'd have to favor Pittsburgh at this point - even without considering salary.
I would favor RW and Fields too.
But I really don't know that much about Howell and Fields. My generalization is that Fields is a threat to run.
I need to go back to pretending Geno is legit.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:02 am

Some thoughts from Rob Staton on the Baker signing and how they should adress the QB situation going forward...

https://seahawksdraftblog.com/why-i-lik ... o-be-asked
The question needs to keep being asked. How exactly are the Seahawks going to find ‘the guy’ who can lead this team to the promised land at the most important position in the sport? Because until they start taking chances to get that individual — I don’t think the Seahawks will break out of the middle-ground in this league. And no, adding a former fifth round pick, discarded by the Washington Commanders, who threw 21 interceptions last season, who the GM is already calling a backup, is not a serious plan to find ‘the guy’ for the future.

The Vikings are being brave and bold. It might work, it might not. But at least they’re trying.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:10 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:02 am
The Vikings are being brave and bold. It might work, it might not. But at least they’re trying.
It probably won't work. Good article... how does a team find that guy to orchestrate their offense? The 9-8 seasons are mentioned, but I truly believe that had a lot to do with Pete's style of coaching, the 'play-not-to-lose-rather-than-play-to-win' mentality. In addition, and has been mentioned previously, the players aren't being utilized effectively. I think that changes with Macdonald.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:02 pm

dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 pm

I guess Holton Ahlers isn't the answer. :D

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:22 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 pm
I guess Holton Ahlers isn't the answer. :D
I hope they bring him back for camp. Love that East Carolina Pirate guy!
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!