Hawks got great Draft Grades

D-train

Hawks got great Draft Grades

Post by D-train » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Hawks got great Draft Grades

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 am

The first two picks they made kind of fell into their laps, so i'm not sure they deserve credit for anything besides not outsmarting themselves. The rest of the picks were pretty meh.

I give'em a C.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 am
The first two picks they made kind of fell into their laps, so i'm not sure they deserve credit for anything besides not outsmarting themselves. The rest of the picks were pretty meh.

I give'em a C.
According to several hundreds of posts over the years, you have always thought the Seahawks incapable of picking top prospects that fall into their laps...so now you give them a "meh" when they do it? Puzzling to say the least

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 am

Here is the PFF Draft grade for the Seahawks:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl ... l-32-teams

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: B+
1 (16): DI Byron Murphy II, Texas
3 (81): G Christian Haynes, UConn
4 (118): LB Tyrice Knight, UTEP
4 (121): TE AJ Barner, Michigan
5 (136): CB Nehemiah Pritchett, Auburn
6 (179): T Sataoa Laumea, Utah
6 (192): CB D.J. James, Auburn
6 (207): T Mike Jerell, Findlay
Murphy — The Seahawks opt to improve a position where they already have some pieces in place with one of the best defensive players in the draft. Since 2021, Murphy’s 12.5% pressure rate ranks third among defensive tackles with at least 500 pass-rushing snaps, trailing only 2023 first-round picks Jalen Carter and Calijah Kancey. A Murphy and Leonard Williams tandem on the interior creates a clear strength for Seattle heading into 2024.

Haynes — An elite athlete for the guard position, Haynes has the nastiness to be a solid pull-blocker in a gap scheme but really thrives in wide zone, where he posted an 89.2 run-blocking grade in 2023. Haynes is also solid as a pass-blocker and should push for a starting gig from day one in Ryan Grubb’s offense.

Knight — Knight wasn’t on the PFF big board but ranked just inside the top 200 of the consensus board. He recorded 75 defensive stops and earned a 74.0-plus PFF grade in each of his four college seasons.

Barner — Seattle adds more in-line blocking ability. His 82.2 PFF grade in 2023 ranked third among all draft-eligible tight ends, and he also recorded a fantastic 81.4 run-blocking grade this past season.

Pritchett — A lean cornerback with long arms and great long speed, Pritchett allowed just 12 catches in 2023, which ranked first among SEC cornerbacks. He offers a solid floor as a contributor on special teams with developmental upside as an outside cornerback.

Laumea — Laumea played 1,726 snaps at right tackle over the past two seasons and did not allow a single sack in 2023, but he projects to move back to guard, where he played 903 snaps in 2021.

James — The Seahawks add their second defensive back from Auburn in this draft in James. His 91.8 PFF coverage grade over the past two seasons ranks third among Power Five cornerbacks while his 24 forced incompletions in that span are fourth among cornerbacks in the SEC.

Jerell — Findlay’s Jerrell is the rare prospect who doesn’t have any PFF data, and he wasn’t on either the PFF big board or the consensus big board. He did test well with a 4.94-second 40-yard dash and 32.5-inch vertical at 309 pounds, bringing some athleticism to the Seahawks’ offensive line.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:57 am

Bil522 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 am

I give'em a C.
According to several hundreds of posts over the years, you have always thought the Seahawks incapable of picking top prospects that fall into their laps...so now you give them a "meh" when they do it? Puzzling to say the least
I'm not sure they've had anyone like Murphy fall to them in the 1st round before, and Haynes lasting to pick 81 was a minor miracle. Two studs at their positions of greatest need falling well beyond where they were expected to go was highly fortuitous and i was glad JS didn't try to get cute with those picks. And i liked the picks he made in the early rounds of '22 and '23, my only gripe being with passing on Jalen Carter.

Btw, the meh was for the day 3 picks.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 am

Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:57 am
Bil522 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 am

I give'em a C.
I'm not sure they've had anyone like Murphy fall to them in the 1st round before, and Haynes lasting to pick 81 was a minor miracle. Two studs at their positions of greatest need falling well beyond where they were expected to go was highly fortuitous and i was glad JS didn't try to get cute with those picks. And i liked the picks he made in the early rounds of '22 and '23, my only gripe being with passing on Jalen Carter.

Btw, the meh was for the day 3 picks.
Jalen Carter's 13 solo tackles and 12 assists would have done soooooooo much for the Seahawks last year. Jarran Reed had 33 solo tackles and 14 assists and they both had 7 sacks and 1 forced fumble. And the fun thing is, they both ran the same shitty defense as Sean Desai was a Fangio disciple that implemented the same defense for both teams.
Last edited by Bil522 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:46 am

Knight was a pretty clear reach to fill a need

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:40 am

PFF?
Devon Witherspoon graded higher than Jalen Carter in: Run Defense (80.0 vs 68.4), Tackling (62.1 vs 56.3), Pass Rush (90.8 vs 85.9), Coverage (79.7 vs 68.4). He also played 300+ more snaps and made the Pro Bowl

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm

More Grades:

Average is a B. I used a 15 point scale A+ 15, A 14, A- 13, B+ 12 etc and average the point totals 117/11 = 10.6 = B
Here’s a sampling of what is being said by draft experts.

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

Grade: B-.

Comment: “Seattle GM John Schneider passed on [Troy] Fautanu and selected top-ranked defensive tackle Byron Murphy II (16) instead, trying to shore up a run defense that ranked 31st in rushing yards allowed per game (138.4) and 32nd in rushing first downs allowed (143). Murphy also can penetrate as an interior pass rusher. I would have had a bigger problem with the choice if Schneider hadn’t landed my third-ranked guard in Round 3, as Christian Haynes (81) could be an instant starter. These are two solid picks for the Seahawks. Tight end AJ Barner (121) wasn’t much of a pass catcher in college, but he’s a good blocker. The Seahawks took not one but two cornerbacks from Auburn on Day 3 in Nehemiah Pritchett (136) and D.J. James (192). I actually had James rated higher.”

Danny Kelly, The Ringer

Grade: B.

Comment: “Seattle focused primarily on the trenches in the first draft of the John Schneider/Mike Macdonald era. That strategy started with the selection of defensive tackle Byron Murphy II, an instant impact interior defender who plays with first-step quickness and immense strength to collapse the pocket. The Seahawks lacked a second-round pick (used to trade for Leonard Williams last season), but got great value in the third round with offensive guard Christian Haynes, a plug-and-play starter at a position of need. Seattle added a rangy linebacker in Tyrice Knight, a strong blocking tight end in AJ Barner, and a pair of potential depth linemen in Sataoa Laumea and Michael Jerrell on Day 3. Plus they grabbed two former teammates at Auburn who could compete for snaps in cornerbacks Nehemiah Pritchett and D.J. James. All in all, an unsexy but solid weekend for the Seahawks.”

Chad Reuter, NFL.com

Grade: A.
Comment: “Murphy was always the pick for Seattle if available at No. 16 because of his ability to pressure quarterbacks and play the run. Haynes will start as a rookie for the Seahawks due to his athleticism and toughness. Re-upping defensive lineman Leonard Williams paid off the second-round investment in that trade with the Giants.

“Knight is the strong tackler the Seahawks needed in the middle of their defense, though others like Jeremiah Trotter Jr. were available. Barner is a reliable receiver and blocker who can replace Will Dissly. Pritchett should have been picked much earlier. Laumea played well at tackle but projects as a power blocker at guard. No edge rushers were selected, so I suspect a couple top undrafted free agents will be signed.”

The Seattle Seahawks Select Byron Murphy II as the No. 16 Pick in This Year's NFL Draft

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News

Grade: B-, 22nd overall.

Comment: “Murphy and Haynes were a great start to the draft for both interior line needs, but then the next-best pick was James. GM John Schneider continued to look at the board differently than most teams, but it wasn’t his best work to kick off the post-Pete Carroll era with Mike Macdonald.”

Mark Maske, Washington Post

Grade: C+.

Comment: “The Seahawks landed the only defensive tackle to come off the board in Round 1 when they took Byron Murphy II at No. 16. That was a solid choice. It was interesting that they did not make a move to add a developmental quarterback, even as Spencer Rattler fell through the draft order.”

Chris Trapasso, CBSSports.com

Grade: B+.

Comment: “Scattered draft here from Seattle. Murphy was the finest, most explosive rusher in the class with run-stopping prowess. Haynes is a rocket at guard in an ideal guard frame with length. Barner has the dynamic movement skill and reliable hands to be a better pro than he was in college. Laumea is another masher on the interior. James’ feet are lightning quick, and he plays the ball aggressively on a routine basis.”

Matt Verderame, SI,com

Grade: C+.

Comment: “New coach Mike Macdonald gets a defender in the first round who can be mentored by savvy veteran Johnathan Hankins. We’ll see if the Seahawks plan on causing a similar amount of targeted chaos in this iteration of Macdonald’s defense. He has many different pieces now, but Murphy, like Macdonald’s units in Baltimore, can create havoc from multiple positions.”

Ryan Dunleavy, New York Post

Grade: C, 24th overall.

Comment: “The Seahawks traded their second-round pick in October for DT Leonard Williams (re-signed in free agency) and then added more interior pass rush with Murphy. Haynes (more than 3,300 career snaps) brought scouts out to watch a dreadful UConn program.”

Eric Williams, Fox Sports

Comment: “First-round defensive tackle Byron Murphy II is a home-run pick — one of the top defensive players in the draft who should develop into a mainstay on Seattle’s defense for the next decade. But Seattle had just two picks in the top 100 because of the Leonard Williams trade, making it tough to secure impact players. Christian Haynes should fight for time along the starting offensive line. Tyrice Knight is a tackling machine and AJ Barner has a chance to earn a role as a blocking tight end. But it appears these late-round picks are more developmental prospects who could take a few years to find roles for Seattle.”

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

Bleacher Report

Comment: “The Seattle Seahawks took the second defensive prospect in the draft by selecting Texas’ Byron Murphy II with the 16th overall pick. Murphy was the top-ranked defensive line prospect on the B/R Scouting Department’s final big board and he should be a great pickup for Seattle under new head coach Mike Macdonald.

“Seattle got an incredible value by grabbing Christian Haynes in Round 3. The UConn product was the 55th-ranked prospect on the final B/R big board and is an experienced interior lineman who should start sooner than later.

“General manager John Schneider picked up a few promising players on Day 3. Linebacker Tyrice Knight has the tools and the upside to develop into a future starter, and tight end AJ Barner is an intriguing, traits-based prospect to develop behind Noah Fant.”

Walter Football

Grade: A-.

Comment: “Seattle didn’t end up trading down, but that’s understandable because a very talented player fell to them at No. 16. Byron Murphy was considered the best defensive player in this class by some, so he was a steal. The Seahawks have maintained a pedestrian defensive line for far too long, and Murphy will certainly improve that area.

“While the Seahawks eschewed an offensive lineman at No. 16, and understandably so, given the circumstances, they spent three other picks addressing the interior blocking. Two of them, however, were late-round choices, so only Christian Haynes will likely contribute as a rookie. Haynes, like Murphy, was a tremendous value where he was chosen. “
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

As the Ringer put it, 'All in all, an unsexy but solid weekend for the Seahawks.'