Offense is going to be Grubbing

D-train

Offense is going to be Grubbing

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:24 pm

Downplays the lack of NFL experience and explains why it is overblown...
RENTON — By one measure, Ryan Grubb’s early transition to the NFL has gone about as well as he could have hoped.

“We haven’t had to punt yet, so that’s the good part,’’ Grubb said with a smile Monday following the seventh of the Seahawks’ 10 OTAs (Organized Team Activities).

Grubb knows better than anyone that no assessment of how his offense — which worked so dynamically the last two years at the University of Washington — will translate to the NFL won’t come until the fall.

Of what he can get a sense of so far, Grubb feels good.

About half of the installation of the offense has been completed, Grubb said, giving the team a good base for hitting the ground running when training camp begins in late July.

“I think we are right on schedule, and I think we are in a good spot,’’ Grubb said. “I think a lot of the big spots that we haven’t hit yet are more some of the things that you hit in camp when you have a little more contact and things like that.’’

As Grubb noted, OTAs are a no-pads, no-contact time when the emphasis is on teaching and learning.

Practice Monday ended with a session in which the starting offense and defense took off their helmets and ran through plays against each other at barely a jogging pace, the point being to nail down the responsibilities and communication between players.

“The more situations you can bring up for the guys that they have to communicate and execute a full vision I think is better,’’ Grubb said of the early emphasis in working 11-on-11 — with the starters usually going against each other and the backups working against each other.

It’s an offense that Grubb reiterated Monday may not be a carbon copy of UW’s pass-heavy attack the past two seasons, instead tweaked to emphasize the Seahawks’ personnel.

“I think that grows and evolves every year, right?” he said. “ … So when you talk about some of the run-pass balance, you have backs like (Kenneth Walker III) and Zach (Charbonnet), you are pretty excited about your ability to run the ball. So I think for us we are trying to meld some things together with some things we’ve done in the past, whether it’s a long time ago or even just the last few years and get the guys to understand that we want to be a physically dominant team and at the same time have that same explosive, confusing element that people are used to.’’

Not that the Seahawks won’t try to throw it as much as they can with a veteran QB in Geno Smith and a starting trio of receivers in DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett and Jaxon Smith-Njigba that could be among the better trios in the NFL.

Smith is the unquestioned starter at QB. He again appeared to take all of the snaps with the No. 1 offense during team sessions Monday. Grubb says he likes the way newly acquired Sam Howell is adjusting, as well.

“They’re awesome,’’ Grubb said. “Freaking awesome. … I couldn’t be happier with where they are at and the type of guys that management has brought into this place.’’

Smith said earlier during OTAs how well he thinks the scheme will fit his skill set, saying, “I’m a drop-back passer. I feel this is a drop-back offense.’’

Grubb said it won’t be that easily categorized.

“I think that there is a really good marriage there where some of the skill set that Geno has. I think that we ask our quarterbacks to do a lot,” Grubb said. “Luckily for us Geno is really athletic, as well. I think for us we don’t have to limit it to just drop back. I think he is really good in the play-action game as well, which will be a big part of our offense. I think for us it’s not just five-step (drops) all the time.

“But I do think Geno is really good at getting the ball out on time and very efficient with the football, which he obviously showed in ’22 when he led the league in completion percentage.”

Still, questions will persist of how well Grubb can adjust to the NFL in his first year in the league.

Before 2022, the 48-year-old Grubb had not even coached at the Power Five level.

Grubb noted that the Seahawks have other assistants on the offensive side with significant NFL experience, including quarterbacks coach Charles London (who has coached in the NFL all but two years since 2007), running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu (13 years) and receivers coach Frisman Jackson (five years).

“I think there’s a ton of perspective there,’’ Grubb said. “… Just different styles that people have used for success in the NFL. And marrying that with our system has been a lot of fun.’’

Grubb said the moves he’s made — from the University of Sioux Falls to UW from 2013-22, with stops in between at Eastern Michigan and Fresno State — has prepared him for that challenge

“I mean there’s always stuff that maybe you got away with in one league that you know can’t in another,’’ he said. “I mean even Mountain West to Pac-12, all those types of things I think absolutely are applicable and you’ve got to find the things that are realistic.”

And he sounds confident that ultimately he will.

“I’ve always felt like the next step I was really anxious and excited to prove myself,’’ he said of his moves up the coaching ladder. “I feel like every step I take, I just get more excited and more motivated and determined to make sure that we succeed. It’s a lot of fun. I’m excited to show we can do it on the biggest stage.”

While he said leaning on his UW success can be “a little bit of living in the past as far as what we’ve accomplished there,’’ he sounded like he won’t be surprised if that follows him to the VMAC.

“Just really determined to show these guys that we can be a resource to push their careers to the next level and hopefully show a brand of success with this offense that is one of the best in the league,’’ he said.
dt

Nwadventure

Re: Offense is going to be Grubbing

Post by Nwadventure » Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:30 pm

Please maintain healthy running backs this year -

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:05 pm

'It's Going To Be A Lot Of Fun To Be A Quarterback In This Offense'

Sam Howell Raves About Ryan Grubb's Offense

https://www.seahawks.com/news/it-s-goin ... -s-offense

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:01 pm

Both Geno and Pharaoh Brown are wowed by the new offense.
But even for an experienced veteran like Smith, there’s a unique level of creativity to new Seahawks offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb’s scheme.

“In the past two weeks, I’ve seen plays that I have never seen before, and that’s something to say for a 12-year veteran,” Smith said last week on The Jim Rome Show. “Coach Grubb, he’s come right in (and) laid it out for us. He’s set the tone. He’s got high expectations.

“And the guy, he’s got some plays, man. I can’t wait to get out there and show the world. … Schematically, it’s going to be great. It’s really going to be good, and I think it’s going to help all the players.”

Seahawks tight end Pharaoh Brown, who played for four different teams over six seasons before signing with Seattle this spring, echoed a similar sentiment.

“It’s completely different,” Brown said of Grubb’s scheme after one of Seattle’s OTA practices last week. “Mostly in the NFL, people come off the Bill Parcells tree and all these different (coaching) trees, so the foundation of the offenses in the NFL across the league is fairly similar and it’s just different verbiage. This is like a whole new animal.”
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:07 am

I'd like to see them use DK on those double slants.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:22 pm

Agreed. I'd like to see DK involved a lot more. With everything. He's physically strong, a competitor, he wants the ball and he's fast. Give it to him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:02 pm

douche wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:22 pm
Agreed. I'd like to see DK involved a lot more. With everything. He's physically strong, a competitor, he wants the ball and he's fast. Give it to him.
When was the last time you can remember DK just go on a simple fly route. So simple. Fastest WR in the NFL and they refused to do the obvious.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:23 pm

It's a head scratcher, fer sure. Hopefully those days are over. It's time to start utilizing what we've got and using the strengths we have to create mismatches and win the battles.

I saw a post on YouTube recently where a Seattle fan stated that all Carroll would do was the same old predictable stuff and refuse to adapt. The example he used was to continue to run the ball against Aaron Donald and, when it didn't work, just keep doing it. :lol: The definition of insanity.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:55 am

Let's hope the days of Decoy Metcalf are behind us.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:52 pm

Looks like Riqo Suave has something to say about it...

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2024/ ... f-offense/