Post Mortem: Seattle v Pittsburgh

auroraave

Post Mortem: Seattle v Pittsburgh

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:06 am

Okay, first of all - wow! Big win! On the road, against a proud Steeler team that has traditionally owned us at Ketchup Field. Not anymore. You know where you can stuff your condiments.

MVP candidate Russell Wilson gives Coach Pete Carroll his birthday wish - a win in Pittsburgh.

Wasn't this the the most Pete Carroll win of all time? Okay, maybe not all time, but c'mon, that was Classic PC. Starting with the conservative game plan, the head scratching first half challenge that made no sense as I was watching it from the comfort of my couch. Who is telling him to challenge plays? Penalties, another staple of the Seahawks under PC, hurt this team today. But they won, so, it is what it is... for today.

But I digress - Seattle won - and they deserved it. The earned it the hard way - in part due to two uncharacteristic offensive fumbles. Make no mistake, this game was ugly at times, but Seattle is a team that historically under PC finds their groove later in the year. maybe every team does. But to start out 2-0, with so many new parts, so many starters not participating yet - this was a big big win.

But I digress.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wilson is on an MVP run. The stars are aligning - and this team is already out of the gate 2-0.

Wilson continues his MVP run with fantastic passing and critical runs for first downs with the game hanging in the balance. Just f'n clutch. 29 for 35 for 300 yards - that's kinda ridiculous. Read it again: 29 for 35. Apparently he and Will Dissly are TD BFF's now as RW hit the former UDub star for two beautiful TD strikes.

Diddly is a stud. If he stays healthy - oh what a wonderful weapon he is. All Tyler Locket did today was Tyler Lockett things, and those things ate ten catches to lead the team. DK "YOu can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him" Metcalf is already making noise with two spectacular catches, one for a clutch TD. This Receiving Corp is going to be better and deeper than people realize, except for the people that actually watch and follow the team. It's a classic PC crew of underappreciated dogs that can run... right past you. And now they got some size and speed (that's what she said!) Boom!.

The running game.

This is where it gets interesting. In the first half, I kept thinking, "Okay, it's time for Rashaad Penny to step it up and produce." I have been a strong supporter of this pick, but have been feeling like if we can't get him going, somehow, some way, we need to move on and get some return value from him. We're wasting something here. Well, today he led the team in rushing with 61 yards, but that's not the real take away. On that TD run - did you see that TD run? Whoa, Nelly, as Keith Jackson would say. That kid's got a burst on him! Maybe Penny gets more carries now. That is a seriously deep backfield though, and it's good to see Procise get some touches. Where's McKissick?

Wilson's clutch runs sealed the game - and it's interesting to note that he doesn't seem to run until the game is on the line - after lulling the defense to sleep. His maturity here is another reason he'll be the MVP - he just gets it - and he is in his absolute prime.

Let's talk defense. Classic PC bend-but-don't-break. Clowney was surprisingly quiet, didn't see him making a difference. Wagner did Wagner things. Is this team on pace to break any batted passes records? Wags and Clowney both contributed. The secondary played reasonably well.

Tough day for Big Ben.

The real story here defensively, is this a defense that went into Pittsburgh, knocked Big Ben out, held the Steelers to 260 yards of offense at home - and Ziggy, Collier, and Reed have yet to play a down. And they're 2-0. Um, wow. What is this unit going to look like at full strength? The potential is frightening. I'll admit, I'm a bit giddy at the thought.

What a nice win for the Birthday Boy, Pete Carroll!

Now - The Complaint Department.

So, thanks to Iron Maiden, I only saw two games this entire weekend; Seattle v Pitt, and Wazzu v Houston. Why is this important? Well, I'm about to tell you. It's penalties. There were 15 in the Seattle game and 19 in the Wazzu game. To put it into perspective...

Penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, Penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty, penalty.

That's just ridiculous. It makes games unwatchable. It's hack a Shaq and it is simply unbearable - but it is part of a much bigger and deeper problem the NFL has - officiating. Yes, I know Wazzu ain't a pro team, but officiating, across the board is simply changing games beyond reason.

Want more proof? We have only begun to scratch the surface of the 2018 NFCCG officiating debacle - which, as a result of a complete failure by the officials - has now led to the review of pass interference. This is not going to turn out well for several reasons. let's just start with time. This means more reviews, more delays, longer games - and more games decided by officiating. Careful what you wish for. Death by a thousand cuts.

Yes, the PC challenge paid off, so that's a win for Seattle, but in the bigger picture, do we really want this? And remember - this is because of staggering incompetence and/or bias. Frankly, I think it is embarrassing. The NFL is never out in front of anything - unless it is fiscal. it is all part of the erosion of the league, a league that can't seem to grasp they are a beach that is quickly eroding away.

There are too many reviews already - it's become Hack-A-Shaq out there, and it is simply becoming unbearable anymore. Officiating is atrocious, and the incompetence is resulting in longer games, longer delays, and completely inhibits the flow of a game - turning the NFL into the last two minutes of every close NBA game. That is unacceptable.

Just my two cents.

So, where does Iron Maiden fit into this? I'm glad you asked. First, Iron maiden fits into everything - they're just plain awesome. I missed Saturday games because I was enjoying an Iron Maiden concert at the Banc of California stadium. So, that's how they fit into this. Amazing show, amazing band, not one penalty or challenge flag the whole night. Up the Irons!

JAWA

Re: Post Mortem: Seattle v Pittsburgh

Post by JAWA » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 am

Nailed it yet again, friend!

You know what's better than a wim? TWO WIMS! :mrgreen: :P :lol: ;)

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:22 am

auroraave wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:06 am
Okay, first of all - wow!

Big win! On the road

You know where you can stuff your condiments.

But I digress

But I digress

Diddly is a stud. Boom!.

The running game.

This is where it gets interesting. Whoa, Nelly,

Classic PC bend-but-don't-break

Tough day for Big Ben.

The real story here - knocked Big Ben out

I'm a bit giddy

So, thanks to Iron Maiden

To put it into perspective...

Penalty, penalty, penalty,

That's just ridiculous.

Want more proof?

Death by a thousand cuts.

PC challenge paid off

That is unacceptable.

Just my two cents.

So, where does Iron Maiden fit into this? I'm glad you asked. First, Iron maiden fits into everything - they're just plain awesome. I missed Saturday games because I was enjoying an Iron Maiden concert at the Banc of California stadium. So, that's how they fit into this. Amazing show, amazing band, not one penalty or challenge flag the whole night. Up the Irons!
Just thought I's sum up your post mortem, auroraave.

And to say my son and two his buddies from Canada and Utah went to Iron Maiden at the Tacoma Dome last week. I drove down from Lynnwood and picked them up. They loved the concert!

Good summary!
Last edited by rockycola on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:23 am

And speaking of WR depth, Turner had a nice day as well. Best Turner WR since Daryl DP Turner who is somehow 57 years old.

Not sure what the solution is for the PI calls if not review. What, just tell the officials to stop making bad calls? Just like baseball I am grateful that teams aren't getting screwed on bad calls anymore. I would much rather take a couple minutes, get it right and have us win that game on the reversed PI than lose.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:24 am

rockycola wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:22 am
auroraave wrote:

Big win! On the road

But I digress

But I digress

Diddly is a stud. Boom!.

The running game.

Tough day for Big Ben.

I'm a bit giddy

That's just ridiculous.

Want more proof?

PC challenge paid off

That is unacceptable.

Just my two cents.

And to say my son and two his buddies from Canada and Utah went to Iron Maiden at the Tacoma Dome last week. I drove down from Lynnwood and picked them up. They loved the concert!

Good summary!
Wow, I thought you were doing that for a job. Might want to make them aware of this invention called Uber. lol
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:52 am

1. It seems the answer for constant blitzes and pressure on RW is torching teams over the middle with our tight ends... why is that the case? Blitzers vacate that area of the field in order to create pressure and the throws/reads are significantly faster for RW to make. I've always been a harsh critic of our passing game because it always feels like 99% of the throws go to the sideline or are long-developing throws down the field. We threw more to the middle of the field in the 2nd half of this game than I can remember doing all last season... and guess what? It worked. Keep doing it.

2. I call bullshit on anyone who says that Russ isn't running because "it's not there." Bullshit. It's there before the final drive of the game... he's just not doing it. You can't tell me that all of a sudden on the final drive of the game the lanes for him to run magically opened up... there's just no way. He's choosing not to run early in games for injury sake... problem is, if he gets sacked 4 times in a half and refuses to take off, don't you think he has a better chance to get injured purely because he's being tackled more?

3. The right side of our O-line is brutal. Ifedi just continues to struggle... Fluker hasn't had a good start to the season.

4. I can't wait for Ziggy Ansah to be on the field at the same time as Clowney. Our pass rush was a little iffy today... it also really bothered me that they decided to not bring pressure on the rookie QB. Give him different looks... he's young, easily confused... that's inexcusable.

5. Seemed like the D was maybe better with Lano Hill than TT. He bit on the flea flicker... but almost recovered. But he wasn't picked on today like TT was against a pretty shitty Bengals offense. Kendricks and Bwags were only OK for me today... Bwags missed a few tackles... misdiagnosed a few plays that he typically reads like a book. Kendricks missed a couple big tackles.

6. If that goon who nailed Russ in the head isn't fined heavily... I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 am

auroraave wrote:
Where's McKissick?
He's now a Detroit Lion.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 am

NFL ratings up 5% in week one. I guess not many people are finding it "unwatchable"
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 am

trharder wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 am
auroraave wrote:
Where's McKissick?
He's now a Detroit Lion.
And Lions had a hard time scoring points. today.ASK ME!!! ASK ME!!! I KNOW WHY!!!!

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 am

rockycola wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:22 am
auroraave wrote:

Big win! On the road

But I digress

But I digress

Diddly is a stud. Boom!.

The running game.

Tough day for Big Ben.

I'm a bit giddy

That's just ridiculous.

Want more proof?

PC challenge paid off

That is unacceptable.

Just my two cents.

Good summary!
This is an outstanding post. Dude - I was just out in Utah over Labor Day - stayed in Provo, went to Sundance (I've done this trip many times - usually we see a game there, too) to ride the chairlifts and mountain bike - just epic. Also went river rafting and that was next level too. Love Utah - but no, I ain't living there. Canada? Meh. :P