Penny's halftime study session led to TD

Donn Beach

Penny's halftime study session led to TD

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:03 am

So at halftime, Penny and his coaches plotted—with the help of 2019 in-game technology—to use Pittsburgh’s aggressiveness against them.

“We went back and watched film,” Penny said, as he walked after the game from the locker room to the Seahawks’ team bus that was taking them to the airport for Sunday night’s flight home. “If I would have cut it back (then), it probably would have been the same result, or a good gain.”

So that’s what he and the coaches decided at halftime. Next time we run that play, Penny, expect Barron in your face after you get the hand-off and cut sharply away from him and the flow of the play, to the right.

Third and 2 at the Steelers 37, Seahawks clinging to a 14-13 lead after a Pittsburgh field goal. Wilson hands the ball to Penny. The flow of the play and the blocker go left. Sure enough, Barron reads one of the Seahawks’ pet running plays. He immediately shoots the gap. The linebacker is waiting for Penny like a high-school kid waits for a bus in the morning.

“Same exact thing. Same exact run,” Penny said. “So I said, ‘Forget. Let’s go for all the marbles here. Just make one guy miss.’”

He did.
https://www-1.thenewstribune.com/sports ... 28107.html

trharder

Re: Penny's halftime study session led to TD

Post by trharder » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Penny is a very nice kid. I'm proud of him hanging in there. If he stays healthy the ceiling is still much higher.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Not to be overly negative, but at some point wouldn't it be nice if Penny could make these reads on his own? How many times is he going to take the ball and run directly into a pile of bodies, usually behind the line of scrimmage. Surely the futility must occur to him at some point and he will feel empowered to try something different without needing encouragement or permission from the coaches.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:57 pm

I didn't think the post was about Penny, it was about the team's half time adjustments. We talk about making them, some of us complaining about the lack of them, and there you have it. They engineered that TD. They studied the Steelers aggressive approach and saw how they could take advantage of it. I think Barron should feel like an idiot. They adjusted to him and scored on him, and that was the game, that TD

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:09 pm

My point is that there are some adjustments that they should be able to make on the fly without waiting until halftime. Other teams seem to be able to do this. Why can't the Seahawks? I don't think they needed to study film to realize that the Steelers were keying the run to the detriment of containment. Hell, i could see that.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 pm

well the Steelers didn't make them on the fly or in the locker room either which led to them coughing up a TD

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 pm

The thing is, these two backs are a great compliment. Penny frustrates me with his butt sniffing. He can make three runs in a row that are a loss or zero yards, probably all three of which would be runs that Carson would fall forward for a few. But then? He hits a homerun on the 4th run....one that Carson probably wouldn't have taken to the house.

I am sure I will continue to complain about him, because I hate being in 2nd and long because a back slams into his lineman's ass, or stops his feet and goes down easy...but he is a great lightening to Carson's thunder.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Penny, 10 carries for 62 yards, the longest 37, 6.2 average ...Carson 15 carries for 60 yards longest 21 yards for a 4 average...if you subtract the longest, that gives Penny 9 carries for 25 yards for a 2.77 average, and Carson 14 carries for 39 yards 2.78 average

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:54 pm

You watch these two run the ball and think....need a couple yards, give it to Penny....need a long one give it to Carson?

Come on dude. Three fumbles in two games and on the biggest short yardage play of the game they went to Carson. Take it up with Pete.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Carson is the lead runner, never said he shouldn't get it, nothing to take up with Pete, i am happy with how he is handling the two of them...I do think Penny had a pretty decent day