2023 Week 4: UW Football vs California

D-train

Re: 2023 Week 4: UW Football vs California

Post by D-train » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:10 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:08 pm
I take it UW had lots of defensive replacements in during that 2nd half. 500 yards allowed...
Yep pure garbage time....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:37 pm

I highlighted Key positives in red. btw I have watched football for almost 50 years and have never seen better QB/WR connections as I have seen these first for games. Just completely in tune with pin point passing combined with elite athleticism, great routes and amazing catches. Beauty in sports.
By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Washington led 14-0 Saturday before Michael Penix Jr. attempted a pass.

On the Cal Golden Bears’ sixth play from scrimmage, quarterback Ben Finley felt pressure from edge Zion Tupuola-Fetui and unfurled a gift for linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio. UW’s sixth-year senior captain corralled his first career interception and returned it 45 yards for a Husky touchdown.

That’s one way to score.

Six plays later, UW wide receiver Rome Odunze centered under a punt at his own 17-yard line, burst left, deposited defensive back Cam Sidney and exploded along the left sideline for an 83-yard touchdown.

That’s another way to score.

POSTGAME COVERAGE WASHINGTON 59, CALIFORNIA 32
Michael Penix threw 215 yards and 3 touchdown in the first half against Cal. for The California Golden Bears played the Washington Huskies in NCAA Football Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023 at Husky Stadium, in Seattle, WA. 225058

It was UW’s first pick-six since Byron Murphy brought one back against Utah in the 2018 Pac-12 championship game … followed by the Huskies’ first punt return touchdown since Aaron Fuller bombarded BYU in 2019.

In UW’s searchable database — which dates back to 1996 — the Huskies have never scored 14 points before their starting quarterback took the field.

“Nah, never,” Penix said with a smile, when asked if he’s ever been spotted an immediate two-touchdown lead. “It’s crazy. But I’m not complaining.”

In Washington’s 59-32 win over Cal, the statistical oddities didn’t end there.

UW’s 45 points in the first half Saturday were both tied for the Huskies’ most points in a half … and tied for Cal’s most points allowed in a half (after also surrendering 45 points in the second half against Alabama in 1973).

This is also the first time UW has produced 40-plus points in four consecutive games (in the same season) since 1944 … when the Huskies opened with two meetings apiece against heavy hitters Whitman and Willamette.

“That’s a couple weeks now in a row where it isn’t just one side of the ball coming out of the locker room ready to go to start the game. It’s every single guy,” said UW coach Kalen DeBoer. “Special teams are showing up, scoring a touchdown on punt return. Our kickoff team has done a great job. Now you got Eddy [Ulofoshio] with a pick-six.”

UW’s defense and special teams provided the first 14 points in Saturday’s Pac-12 opener.

But the Husky offense didn’t need help.

Penix — the nation’s leading passer — completed 19 of 25 attempts (76%) for 304 yards with four touchdowns and an interception, distributing outlandish dimes. Backup Dylan Morris relieved the Heisman Trophy contender in the third quarter for a second consecutive game.

Without standout junior wide receiver Jalen McMillan — who missed the game with an injury — Odunze (five catches, 125 yards, 3 total TDs) and Ja’Lynn Polk (eight catches, 127 yards, 2 TDs) each excelled.

“We’re very confident, obviously, when we go out there [as an offense],” DeBoer said. “We expect to score every drive. It doesn’t always happen, but if we just stick within ourselves, do what we do, there’s going to be a lot of confidence that we can put points on the board.”

Prior to this season, two Huskies exceeded 100 receiving yards in the same game just eight times in school history.

It’s happened in all four games this fall.

“Receivers were making big-time plays,” said Penix, who has tallied 16 interceptions and two interceptions in his first four games. “They make my job easy. I just sit back there and throw the ball.”

But UW’s revitalized running game is also encouraging as the Huskies enter Pac-12 play. They rushed for a productive 140 yards and 4.7 yards per carry Saturday, led by Mississippi State transfer Dillon Johnson — who notched 10 carries for 66 yards and a 3-yard score. Sophomore Sam Adams II tacked on a 9-yard touchdown, while freshman Tybo Rogers logged a 47-yard reception.

“He’s still getting stronger and stronger and stronger,” DeBoer said of Johnson. “I don’t think we’ve still seen the best of him.
Because we know what it looks like on the practice field and what we’re pushing him to do. Just physically, he’s still improving every week. Great skillset. Team player. He’s really meshed in well with our guys as a teammate, so it’s fun seeing him go off and have another great game.”

Better yet, Ulofoshio’s opening pick was the first of three Husky interceptions, with safety Dominique Hampton and cornerback Jabbar Muhammad pilfering an erratic Finley. The Huskies have seven interceptions through their first four games.

They had seven picks in 13 games last season.

“This is exactly what I imagined [when I transferred from Oklahoma State this offseason] — making some big plays and just being electric and being greedy on defense,” Muhammad said. “This is exactly what I imagined.”

Cal crept closer in garbage time, tacking on three essentially irrelevant touchdowns. Finley completed 17 of 32 passes for 207 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions, before exiting with an injury. Standout sophomore running back Jaydn Ott managed just 40 rushing yards and a touchdown on 2.9 yards per carry.

But against an offense that churns out statistical oddities, it was too little and far too late.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:10 pm
I take it UW had lots of defensive replacements in during that 2nd half. 500 yards allowed...
And started to play a much softer defense....no as aggressive.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:07 pm

“Receivers were making big-time plays,” said Penix, who has tallied 16 interceptions and two interceptions in his first four games. “They make my job easy. I just sit back there and throw the ball.”
When i first read that i thought he meant 16 interceptions over his college career lol.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:14 pm

Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:07 pm
When i first read that i thought he meant 16 interceptions over his college career lol.
Yeah not sure how that got past the editors. Obviously TDs.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:22 pm

I don't think the Times can afford editors anymore.
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:05 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:10 pm
And started to play a much softer defense....no as aggressive.
I'm glad DeBoer is like Chris Petersen and Don James in that respect and sees the value in giving playing time to the reserves rather than running up the score like the Oregons and Alabamas of the world.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:05 pm

It simply amazes me how open these receivers are. Then? When they aren't? Pennix just drops a dime!

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:23 pm

I found this in the comment section over at UW Dawg Pound.
-it about sums it up.
As many have noted, we went deep into the roster this game. We played 54 non-starters this game! While that definitely impacted the final score, as noted, it is really important for those guys to get playing time. But, looking forward to upcoming games, it may be instructive to look only at the starter's performance to see how they did. Well, it turns out, both offense and defense did pretty damned well. Through three quarters, Cal ran for 90 yards on 24 attempts, a 3.8 per average. Remember that Ott was averaging 6.7 yds/rush up to this game. He was 14 for 43, 3.0 per with a long of 8 yards! Passing? Cal was 17-32 for 207 yards, 3 Ints, 1 TD, 6.5 yds/attempt and a QBR of 99, well below their 122 QBR up to this game. A total of 297 yards, 5.3 yds/play. Throw in the Int for a TD and the defense was pretty strong.
Our offense? 21 for 128, 6.1 yds/rush! 20-26 for 312 yards, 4 TDs, 12.0 yds/ attempt, a 222 QBR and 38 points. Not too shabby.
In short, if we clean up a few penalty issues, this team is going to be very, very hard to beat!

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:50 pm

yeah, last night it wasnt scheme getting them wide open as it frequently does, it was just pure dimes and some impressive pass-catching as well -Udonze in particular but Polk as well. didnt miss McMillan one iota, as good as he is.

as for the dimes - Penix doesnt get nearly the credit nationally that he deserves - i think Kiper still has him rated his number 8 QB?!?
Like Stroud last year, it's understandable to question his escapability, since he's never pressured, but he consistently makes deep throws in tight windows, the kind you have to in the pros that so many good college QBs cant adjust to at the next level. There were a couple/few of those last night, not to mention the hole shot to Taj Davis for the game winner over the Ducks last year.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:38 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:50 pm
yeah, last night it wasnt scheme getting them wide open as it frequently does, it was just pure dimes and some impressive pass-catching as well -Udonze in particular but Polk as well. didnt miss McMillan one iota, as good as he is.

as for the dimes - Penix doesnt get nearly the credit nationally that he deserves - i think Kiper still has him rated his number 8 QB?!?
Like Stroud last year, it's understandable to question his escapability, since he's never pressured, but he consistently makes deep throws in tight windows, the kind you have to in the pros that so many good college QBs cant adjust to at the next level. There were a couple/few of those last night, not to mention the hole shot to Taj Davis for the game winner over the Ducks last year.
I loved the reaction of the frustrated corner that was covering Polk just before half. Polk kept catching the 12 yard curls, then jumping out of bounds. Just his frustrating reaction made the entire game worth it.