2023 Week 5: UW Football at Arizona

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: 2023 Week 5: UW Football at Arizona

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:04 pm

I'm not talking trash or anything, but I call that a very confusing stat.

There is a huge difference between "attempt" and "completion". Sounds like they should call that stat "yards per completion".

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:04 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:04 pm

There is a huge difference between "attempt" and "completion". Sounds like they should call that stat "yards per completion".
It is just Passing yards/Attempt.

It is actually one of the most common ways to judge QB performance. And it isn't new.
Early in 1974, while previewing the Miami Dolphins-Minnesota Vikings Super Bowl, pioneer football analyst Bud Goode revealed that yards per throw -- just plain yards gained passing divided by the number of throws -- was pro football's premier statistic, the one that correlated best with winning. Goode quipped that he wanted the inscription on his headstone to read "Here lies Bud Goode: He told the world about yards per throw."

A quarter of a century later the football world has yet to fully absorb Goode's wisdom, even though great NFL coaches have always instinctively known it: over four decades, from Johnny Unitas' sudden-death victory over the New York Giants to last year's Super Bowl, only one team, Bill Parcells' 1996 New England Patriots, has played for the NFL championship while failing to average more yards per throw on offense than it gave up on defense. Over the last 20 years, the team that averaged the highest number of yards per throw in a game has won more than 80 percent of the time.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:34 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:04 pm

Some look at yards per completion, but that stat isn't nearly as relevant, if you ask me. If a guy goes 1 for 10 with a 50 yard bomb, are you impressed with his 50 yards per completion, or underwhelmed by the fact that is yards per attempt were only 5?

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:11 pm

I do get it now, but it's still an absurd stat.
-sorry I was a little dense-

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:58 pm

Seattle times beat reporter citing some absurd made up stat. :lol:
dt