2023 Week 14: UW Football - Whoregon II

Walla Walla Dawg II

2023 Week 14: UW Football - Whoregon II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:31 pm

The Pac 12 Championship game is here!!!

How many of us [actually] felt that we would be the ones with a 12-0 record going into this game? I don't know about you, but I feel this year started out with a huge BANG, then ended with a 7 week long fizzle....but all wins. Horrifying wins, but wins nonetheless.

I am terrified about this game. Oregon has looked every bit a top 2-3 team, even when LOSING to the Dawgs. But since that game, we have looked poor....doing just enough to get the job done. I don't know if that will continue against great teams.

I will be at the game with my family supporting our Dawgs, hoping for a win and a Rose Bowl birth, then will go to that game as well....or the Fiesta Bowl if we lose.

But a Rose Bowl is what we all want.

Thoughts?

GO DAWGS!!

D-train

Re: 2023 Week 14: UW Football - Whoregon II

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:13 pm

Man this is either going to be an epic stressfest or a massive buzzkill. Sweating bullets...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:49 pm

All falls on the offense. The offense has been mediocre since beating Oregon. If that continues, I see us losing by a couple of scores. If we get back into the groove? I think we win. I really do. McMillen looked like he was healthy again...if Polk stops dropping balls and Penix gets out of his head? Or fixes what ever the Hell has gone wrong mechanically to cause him to be so erratic? If DJ gets healthy?

Damn, that's a lot of ifs. I don't feel good about this one. Sucks that Michigan plays Iowa, Florida State gets Louisville...and the Pac 12 and SEC have actual big time games going on...that will eliminate deserving teams from the playoffs. Again, four teams is such a dumb thing, only the NCAA could have come up with it. I know, let's take 100s of teams and dwindle it down to only four with a chance at the end. Don't tell me how we take almost 70 teams into a basketball tourney. Don't tell me how the FCS has been doing 16 teams since the dawn of time. Don't remind me that the NFL has 32 teams and nearly half of them make the playoffs. NOPE, we are going to take Five Power Conferences, and reduce the playoffs to four teams. OH, and the Conference Championships will NOT be a play in game...it will simply be another opportunity for a team that was IN THE PLAYOFFS the week before to play themselves out of the playoffs. We might just let a team that wasn't even playing for their own Conference Championship to take the week off and then get into a four team playoff to win the entire thing!

I know it will never happen, but I SO WANT Iowa, Oklahoma State, Bama and Louisville to win! If that was to happen, you watch...the Pac 12 winner, if Washington, would be #1. BUT, if it was Oregon? They have been getting nothing but praise for weeks, but I could see them getting jumped by Bama...Bama being #1, Oregon #2, Ohio State #3 and Georgia #4. And then? They would have to accept the fact that this isn't a committee to decide who the best four teams are...it is a committed to figure out how to maximize the SEC and Big 10s chances.

That scenario will never play out, but it would sure be fun to watch all the squirming and bold face lies the Committee had.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:24 pm

IF you think about it, and both UW and Oregon make the playoffs, we may play for a 3rd time.
:shock:

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:55 pm

Even with a healthy on-top-of-his-game Penix UW got outgained by 150 yards last time. It was a minor miracle that UW won. Don't expect another.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:21 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:24 pm
IF you think about it, and both UW and Oregon make the playoffs, we may play for a 3rd time.
Impossible. OSU will jump us.
dt

Fungo

Post by Fungo » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:01 pm

My cold logical side says this will be an Oregon blowout by at least 21 points. The Ducks want to humiliate us. My hopeful side is we eek out a victory through some act of God. But I have to go with Oregon 36-24.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:21 pm
You seem to be in a bad mood lately.

And it is possible for UW to still make the playoffs with a loss. We all have to remember that we did make it to the championship game and Ohio didn't. That does mean something in the eyes of the committee.

Now, do I believe that Ohio will jump us if we lose, yes. But it's also possible they wont.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:50 pm

Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:21 pm
You seem to be in a bad mood lately.

And it is possible for UW to still make the playoffs with a loss. We all have to remember that we did make it to the championship game and Ohio didn't. That does mean something in the eyes of the committee.

Now, do I believe that Ohio will jump us if we lose, yes. But it's also possible they wont.
In a good mood but just not going to ignore untenable scenarios. OSU didn't make the B10 solely because of the divisions they have in the B10. They are clearly the second best team. They were ahead of us all season when the were undefeated and will jump us if we lose.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:55 pm

If we had beaten our last 6 opponents but an average of 3 TDs and we barely lose to Oregon, then I think we likely would stay above Ohio St. but we barely squeaked by.
dt