09/21 BYU game thread

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: 09/21 BYU game thread

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:45 pm

UW is a Jeckyl and Hyde team ever since Petersen took over. Quarter to quarter, game to game they are capable of looking elite or looking crappy. You never know which team to expect, although you can count on at least one game every season where it's a complete clusterfuck of coaching mistakes or dumb plays by players that don't seem focused or preparwd. They need to get past that.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:45 pm
UW is a Jeckyl and Hyde team ever since Petersen took over. Quarter to quarter, game to game they are capable of looking elite or looking crappy. You never know which team to expect, although you can count on at least one game every season where it's a complete clusterfuck of coaching mistakes or dumb plays by players that don't seem focused or preparwd. They need to get past that.
Sounds like BYU. Beat USC 1 week, then look horrible the next. Washington is clearly the better team, but BYU made way too many correctible plays.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Well, that was a nice butt kicking and that was even with being nice enough to give BYU a free touchdown in the 3rd quarter. BYU is a good team, this is very much a high quality win.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Just be sure to Kick Utah's butts when you play them in a few weeks.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39 pm
BYU sure layed a giant egg. Lots of dumb mistakes, and they all result in points for Washington, or taking points off the board for themselves. They needed a near perfect game, and weren't close. Dropped passes, fumbles, untimely penalties, forgetting people in coverage despite dropping 8 (Washington's first TD).

As far as the targeting, that's a penalty imo. You may not like the rule, but you can't hit high. BYU had a player with a very similar penalty 2 games ago. Don't want a targeting, wrap the QB around the waist.
I totally disagree about the targeting call. He didn't hit his head or neck and didn't drive him into the ground. Even the announcers said bad call

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:13 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39 pm
BYU sure layed a giant egg. Lots of dumb mistakes, and they all result in points for Washington, or taking points off the board for themselves. They needed a near perfect game, and weren't close. Dropped passes, fumbles, untimely penalties, forgetting people in coverage despite dropping 8 (Washington's first TD).

As far as the targeting, that's a penalty imo. You may not like the rule, but you can't hit high. BYU had a player with a very similar penalty 2 games ago. Don't want a targeting, wrap the QB around the waist.
I totally disagree about the targeting call. He didn't hit his head or neck and didn't drive him into the ground. Even the announcers said bad call
Agree to disagree

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:49 pm

So, he hit him in the chest, and that is too high? Should have taken out his knees I guess?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:24 pm

On the fake field goal play...
Washington’s fake field goal from the BYU 5-yard line in the second quarter — in which holder Race Porter caught the snap, took off and was swallowed up 4 yards shy of the end zone — was so ineffective it almost looked like the Huskies didn’t plan to run it.

Because, well, they didn’t.

“The (fake) field goal was a miscommunication,” Petersen said. “The fake should not have been run. It’s on me. That’s me.”
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... rst-start/

I wonder if he's just saying that because it was such a poorly designed play. Either way, it was a blunder and Petersen just seems to commit at least one of these every game. Fortunately it didn't cost them the game, this time.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:49 pm
So, he hit him in the chest, and that is too high? Should have taken out his knees I guess?
I missed seeing the play. Did the official announce specifically what aspect of the tackle was considered "targeting"?

Here is the rule for targeting as of 2018...
Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -explained

So, did he lower his head and initiate contact with the crown of his helmet?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:39 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:49 pm
I missed seeing the play. Did the official announce specifically what aspect of the tackle was considered "targeting"?

Here is the rule for targeting as of 2018...
Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -explained

So, did he lower his head and initiate contact with the crown of his helmet?
Basically it was a hard hit and the QB's head moved back, so they flagged it. It was a chicken shit call, that is a chicken shit rule, and pretty soon QBs are just going to have careers ended because if I was Tryon...the next time I hit a QB on that play it will be a hell of a lot lower. I assume that BYU kid would rather get hit in the chest than the knees.