It's Duck week!

Fungo

Re: It's Duck week!

Post by Fungo » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:53 am

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:49 pm
I think we even had more contributors on the Times forum than here. As much better as this place is, that is my only regret. That obviously the die hard Husky fans either don't post anymore or didn't make the migration over here.
Last week I was going to post some of my usual complaints about the game but there was no game thread and I didn't want to make a thread with my stupid comments likely being the only entry for the whole game. Unless Grandma Lynn has chimed in on here I'm probably the oldest fan that posts here, or ever has posted here :oops: . I graduated from the UW when tuition was $173.00 per quarter. I have always loved the Dawgs but I am not a purist like Michael. My comments are pretty much limited to emotional outbursts with none of the detailed X's and O's Michael is so good at. Anyway I'll try to post more on the upcoming games now that I know someone actually cares. By the way, I predict a close game Saturday with the Dawgs prevailing 35 to 27.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:54 pm

I will be pleasantly shocked it the Dawgs win. Ducks have look damn good since the Georgia nightmare and our D just won't be able to stop them imo.

They have scored at least 41 points in EVERY game since. How good is Georgia's D to hold them to 3 points??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:26 pm

Fungo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:53 am
Last week I was going to post some of my usual complaints about the game but there was no game thread and I didn't want to make a thread with my stupid comments likely being the only entry for the whole game. Unless Grandma Lynn has chimed in on here I'm probably the oldest fan that posts here, or ever has posted here :oops: . I graduated from the UW when tuition was $173.00 per quarter. I have always loved the Dawgs but I am not a purist like Michael. My comments are pretty much limited to emotional outbursts with none of the detailed X's and O's Michael is so good at. Anyway I'll try to post more on the upcoming games now that I know someone actually cares. By the way, I predict a close game Saturday with the Dawgs prevailing 35 to 27.
ALL comments are great, trust me. Most of my in game comments are simply me spouting off about how pissed I am about something anyway!

Game threads are tough for me. Husky football games are usually an event, I am watching with at least one of my buddies and my son. Seahawk games are often the same. I might grab my phone and log in here from time to time, but it's not like watching a Mariners game on a Tuesday night when nothing else is going on.

We used to have a pretty lively discussion during the week about the Huskies though. I am surprised that after the three straight New Year's day bowl games, two Conference Championships and this turn around with DeBoer, there is less interest then when Seven Sarkisian was asking Locker and Price to sling it all over the yard even though he had guys like Sankey and Polk to lug the rock. As much bitching as I did about Petersen's offense, I often feel that no one ruined weapons more than Sark. For fuck sakes, he was more worried about getting a QB drafted than he was winning ball games.

Then they brought in Pete and there were lots of lively discussions about why he became so conservative now that he wasn't at Boise St. Why did he fall in love with the WildCat, even after Gaskin left and Newton got hurt. That actually cost us one Oregon game. The other was lost when he decided to sit on the ball late and hope that a mediocre to bad kicker could make a long kick. That guy changed when he got here, and it was strange. That said, he flat out turned this program around. Sark had talent, but unless they were playing USC? He wasn't beating anyone he wasn't supposed to, and often lost to teams he wasn't supposed to. Hell, he went to USC and STILL helped us win. The fist time we played them they ran all over the field on us. Tequila Steve wanted to throw though!

Again, I went on a bit of a rant, but the point is Fungo....comment away. I don't care if it is to come in here and let us all know that you thought the throw that Pennix made on third and four was outstanding! LOL. The more the better.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Here is kind of a neat blast from the past. I believe it was my senior year in 67-68. A bunch of us drove up to Eugene to watch he Dawgs play a horrible Oregon team. We ended up winning big. Our kicker who I think was Donnie Martin was a little guy. My best friend noticed that Oregon had a big guy who was "targeting" him on every kickoff. After our last score late in the blowout I noticed our tight end, Clyde Werner if think, was kicking off instead of Martin. He was about 6-6 and 250lbs. We zeroed in and watched as he kicked, picked up speed and ran over the targeter like a Mack Truck over a VW Bug. Don't know how we noticed it as we were feeling no pain.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:51 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:26 pm
Fungo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:53 am
ALL comments are great, trust me. Most of my in game comments are simply me spouting off about how pissed I am about something anyway!

Game threads are tough for me. Husky football games are usually an event, I am watching with at least one of my buddies and my son. Seahawk games are often the same. I might grab my phone and log in here from time to time, but it's not like watching a Mariners game on a Tuesday night when nothing else is going on.

We used to have a pretty lively discussion during the week about the Huskies though. I am surprised that after the three straight New Year's day bowl games, two Conference Championships and this turn around with DeBoer, there is less interest then when Seven Sarkisian was asking Locker and Price to sling it all over the yard even though he had guys like Sankey and Polk to lug the rock. As much bitching as I did about Petersen's offense, I often feel that no one ruined weapons more than Sark. For fuck sakes, he was more worried about getting a QB drafted than he was winning ball games.

Then they brought in Pete and there were lots of lively discussions about why he became so conservative now that he wasn't at Boise St. Why did he fall in love with the WildCat, even after Gaskin left and Newton got hurt. That actually cost us one Oregon game. The other was lost when he decided to sit on the ball late and hope that a mediocre to bad kicker could make a long kick. That guy changed when he got here, and it was strange. That said, he flat out turned this program around. Sark had talent, but unless they were playing USC? He wasn't beating anyone he wasn't supposed to, and often lost to teams he wasn't supposed to. Hell, he went to USC and STILL helped us win. The fist time we played them they ran all over the field on us. Tequila Steve wanted to throw though!

Again, I went on a bit of a rant, but the point is Fungo....comment away. I don't care if it is to come in here and let us all know that you thought the throw that Pennix made on third and four was outstanding! LOL. The more the better.
I think why I am a bigger Hawks fan than Husky fan even though I went to UW is the following:

1. Transitory nature of the roster due to college eligibilty. I can only name a handful of the starting 22. I can name all 22 of the Hawks.
2. You guys are the only Husky fans I know. I know A LOT of Hawks fans.
3. The nature of the College playoff format. Lose two games and you are looking at a meaningless Bowl game at best. Hawks were 2-3 and still can win the SB.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:51 pm

1. Transitory nature of the roster due to college eligibilty. I can only name a handful of the starting 22. I can name all 22 of the Hawks.
3. The nature of the College playoff format. Lose two games and you are looking at a meaningless Bowl game at best. Hawks were 2-3 and still can win the SB.
Yeah, I guess the difference is I somewhat follow the recruiting. Back in the Times days there were a couple of guys all over it. Some real in-depth posts about recruiting. For some reason I thought Captain 97 was one of them, but maybe not. Who ever it was had a crap load of information about who we wanted, who we might get or couldn't get and why.

Living over here I know a ton of Husky fans, and even more Cougar fans, so the Rivalry part is pretty fun. Probably not too big of a deal for you since most of our games kick off at almost Sunday morning over there!

I don't mind the Bowl games. I guess I don't see them as meaningless. I know guys that have played in and coached in Bowl games. They love them. I realize there needs to be an expanded playoff, but I still think a lot of fans and schools find value in making a Bowl and being ranked inside the Top 25. I will try and watch just about every Pac 12 team in their Bowl game. I think they are fun. Too bad you are correct though, the devaluing that started with one of the most injured players ever in football, Christian McCaffrey, making a business decision to not play, has had a real ripple effect on the Bowls. Reason number one I hate McCaffrey. Reason two and three is I had him in Fantasy two years in a row and he basically never played either year. Add in that he was amazing the year before and the year after!? Fucker. LOL Reasons four through ten are because he is now a 49er!

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:32 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:51 pm

Yeah, I guess the difference is I somewhat follow the recruiting. Back in the Times days there were a couple of guys all over it. Some real in-depth posts about recruiting. For some reason I thought Captain 97 was one of them, but maybe not. Who ever it was had a crap load of information about who we wanted, who we might get or couldn't get and why.

Living over here I know a ton of Husky fans, and even more Cougar fans, so the Rivalry part is pretty fun. Probably not too big of a deal for you since most of our games kick off at almost Sunday morning over there!

I don't mind the Bowl games. I guess I don't see them as meaningless. I know guys that have played in and coached in Bowl games. They love them. I realize there needs to be an expanded playoff, but I still think a lot of fans and schools find value in making a Bowl and being ranked inside the Top 25. I will try and watch just about every Pac 12 team in their Bowl game. I think they are fun. Too bad you are correct though, the devaluing that started with one of the most injured players ever in football, Christian McCaffrey, making a business decision to not play, has had a real ripple effect on the Bowls. Reason number one I hate McCaffrey. Reason two and three is I had him in Fantasy two years in a row and he basically never played either year. Add in that he was amazing the year before and the year after!? Fucker. LOL Reasons four through ten are because he is now a 49er!
Sure. All makes sense. 1992 Rose Bowl was prob my third best all time live sporting event. I lived at the football Dorm with Lincoln Kennedy, Donald Jones and Chico among others so I couldn't be more connected back in those days...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:14 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:50 pm
Here is kind of a neat blast from the past. I believe it was my senior year in 67-68. A bunch of us drove up to Eugene to watch he Dawgs play a horrible Oregon team. We ended up winning big. Our kicker who I think was Donnie Martin was a little guy. My best friend noticed that Oregon had a big guy who was "targeting" him on every kickoff. After our last score late in the blowout I noticed our tight end, Clyde Werner if think, was kicking off instead of Martin. He was about 6-6 and 250lbs. We zeroed in and watched as he kicked, picked up speed and ran over the targeter like a Mack Truck over a VW Bug. Don't know how we noticed it as we were feeling no pain.
Where in the hell did you live that you drove UP to Eugene???
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:30 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
After our last score late in the blowout I noticed our tight end, Clyde Werner if think, was kicking off instead of Martin. He was about 6-6 and 250lbs. We zeroed in and watched as he kicked, picked up speed and ran over the targeter like a Mack Truck over a VW Bug. Don't know how we noticed it as we were feeling no pain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck yeah! My son is a pretty big kid, pretty damn tough to. The last year I coached him in Pop Warner I told him that on every single reverse he is to carry out the fake, and become the lead blocker. Said, "it's your chance to hit that DE or OLB that has been teeing off on you all game". We threw a lot, so he did get hit frequently. He doubled back and cracked this big DE from Spokane so hard one time I thought it was going to draw a flag! Was clean, no doubt about it, but damn, straight up ear hole decleater. Loved it. Needless to say that big DE's head was on a swivel and he was charging into the backfield with much more caution afterwards!

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:11 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:14 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Where in the hell did you live that you drove UP to Eugene???
On Campus in McMahon Hall. I don't even remember who drove. It might have been the opening of Autzen Stadium.