D-train

Re: The Natty

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:26 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:27 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm
Here is the beauty if we win on Monday.

We will end the season UNDEFEATED. We beat two teams that beat Alabama who beat Georgia who Beat FSU. AND we also beat the 2nd best team in the Country TWICE.

Literally nobody can come up with ANYTHING disputing the legitimacy of it. Might be the most undisputed NCAA Football champion EVER.
Agree, to a point. I think lately most of the Champions have been pretty undisputed. That said, we are in the Pac, so I imagine many, mostly dunderheads like Finebaum, might try to take shots. IMO, Oregon and Texas are better than Michigan. I honestly believe that four or five Pac 12 offenses are better than Michigans. That said? They do have the ability with that run game to take the air out of the ball, so to speak.
If we had one loss they would say we were lucky to avoid playing an SEC team and undefeated FSU and 1 loss Georgia. And if that loss was to the Ducks they would say we got lucky in the P12 chip and Oregon was the best team in the P12.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:27 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:26 pm
Looking at the team stats, I was surprised to see that our Run Defense is ranked 41st in the country in yards per game. Really not that much worse than Ohio State and Alabama who ranked 27th and 31st respectively. Some of that is due to the fact that Pac12 teams just don't run as much but still I think that they may not be quite as bad as people make them out to be. They are 83rd in Yards per rush allowed so that is just a bit below average.

I was also surprised to see that Michigan really isn't a stellar running team. They rank 61st in Yards per game. Boise State 6, Texas 24, Oregon 31, Utah 33, Tulsa 35, Cal 45 and Oregon State 56 all rank above them. Counting two games against Oregon, this makes Michigan the ninth ranked rushing team on our schedule.
Yep compare Dillon Johnson to their lead back. Other than TDs DJ is right with him.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:32 pm

I think we are going to shock the world and boat race them just like we would have with Texas if not for the fumbled punt and brain dead play calling.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:27 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Looking at the team stats, I was surprised to see that our Run Defense is ranked 41st in the country in yards per game. Really not that much worse than Ohio State and Alabama who ranked 27th and 31st respectively. Some of that is due to the fact that Pac12 teams just don't run as much but still I think that they may not be quite as bad as people make them out to be. They are 83rd in Yards per rush allowed so that is just a bit below average.

I was also surprised to see that Michigan really isn't a stellar running team. They rank 61st in Yards per game. Boise State 6, Texas 24, Oregon 31, Utah 33, Tulsa 35, Cal 45 and Oregon State 56 all rank above them. Counting two games against Oregon, this makes Michigan the ninth ranked rushing team on our schedule.
Yep compare Dillon Johnson to their lead back. Other than TDs DJ is right with him.
On a per carry basis, Michigan ranks 70th at 4.25 Yards per carry. UW ranks 53rd at 4.4 yards per carry.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:40 pm

Captain 97 wrote:

That is incredibly interesting to me. For one thing, you are very correct in the fact that Pac 12 teams don't run as much. Yet? Four Pac 12 teams rank ahead of Michigan in rushing yards per game! Not to mention the fact that freaking 8 teams we have beaten all rank ahead? Again, more misplaced perception about who Michigan is just because a few talking heads say it's so. I am honestly worried some about their run game still, but more about what happens when McCarthy moves around. Ward killed us moving around, and it seems that the kid at Utah did as well. Ewers had some success running the ball as well, especially that big one before the half.

Of those teams above?

BSU? I don't recall the backs hurting us.
Texas had their moments, that's for sure. But Ewers was almost more of a threat than the backs on several occasions. Having a lead sure helped.
Oregon? I don't remember being worried about their backs, especially in the second game. We had a great game plan and the kids played out of their minds! Another game that should have been over much earlier, and without a BRUTAL PI call (which is why I have a new phone by the way)? It would have been over earlier.
Utah? The QB hurt us the most.
Tulsa? I was at that game. There were some moments when the backs got loose, but I seem to recall the QB hurting us again by moving around.
Cal? That game was over before anyone even really paid attention.
Oregon State. That is probably the game where the backs seemed to have the most impact.

McCarthy has a little wiggle to his game. If we can keep applying pressure on offense by scoring, they are going to struggle to keep up with traditional run game. So I think keeping McCarthy in the pocket is the key.

I still think Texas was the second best team in the country this year. To us. I realize you can if and but all kinds of things. But don't muff a punt? Probably at LEAST a ten point swing. Don't pass on the FG? Another three points. No injury to DJ? No fair catch interference? That game could have been a blow out in our favor. That said? So could Utah and both Oregon games. LOL

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm

We also passed up a chip shot field goal and went for it on 4th down in the first half. We could have easily been up 10 at half time.

Personally, I think Oregon is the second best team in the country.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:19 pm

So what's the deal with Dillon Johnson? He had to be carted off the field but we're supposed to believe that he will be good to go for the CG. I don't buy it. Unless it was just a cramp, but then why didn't they get him off the field?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:06 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm
We also passed up a chip shot field goal and went for it on 4th down in the first half. We could have easily been up 10 at half time.

Personally, I think Oregon is the second best team in the country.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to on passing up a FG. That said? I didn't hate going for it, what I did hate was running a dive play right at their two dominating DTs. Murphy and Sweat are too tough to run right at them on fourth and one. It reminded me of how Seattle used to gain seven or so yards on first down against LA, come up to the line of scrimmage and see Donald RIGHT IN THE SPOT WE ARE RUNNING TOO, and Wilson just shrugging and running the play anyway. I used to think that was on the coaches for not getting the play in and them not breaking the huddle in time. Kind of fault Wilson for that now. That play should have never been called, but Penix also should have gotten out of it.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:08 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:19 pm
So what's the deal with Dillon Johnson? He had to be carted off the field but we're supposed to believe that he will be good to go for the CG. I don't buy it. Unless it was just a cramp, but then why didn't they get him off the field?
If he is able to play, then I SERIOUSLY question the end of that game.

1. He couldn't get off the field, putting us at a HUGE disadvantage
2. He was carted into the Locker Room
3. He was on crutches after the game.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:30 pm

Johnson is supposed to be ready to play