Jedd does recruiting

D-train

Re: Jedd does recruiting

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:22 am

Killing it!
By Andy Yamashita
Seattle Times staff reporter
The Bay Area has been kind to Washington during the 2025 recruiting cycle. Now, the Huskies have landed one of the top prospects in the region and one of the highest-rated recruits in northern California.

Four-star wide receiver Chris Lawson out of Archbishop Riordan High School in San Francisco committed to Washington on Sunday. He’s the third-highest rated recruit in UW’s 2025 recruiting class according to the 247Sports composite rankings and the 21st high school player to announce a public commitment to Washington and coach Jedd Fisch.

The Huskies currently have the No. 17 recruiting class in the country following Lawson’s commitment.

Lawson, listed at 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, chose Washington out of a final three that also included Oregon and California. He also held offers from Arkansas, Auburn, BYU, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Penn State, UCLA, USC, Utah and Washington State among others. He took an official visit to UW on May 31.

The Bay Area native is considered the No. 23 player in California and the No. 32 wide receiver in the country, according to 247Sports composite rankings. Lawson is the No. 247 player in the country.

Only Spanaway linebacker Zaydrius Rainey-Sale and Southern California tight end Vander Ploog are rated higher than Lawson among UW’s current commitments. Greg Biggins, 247Sports national recruiting analyst, wrote Lawson “has been one of the top players in the NorCal region since his freshman year.”

“Shows plenty of burst and explosiveness after the catch and can routinely take a short hitch or slant, make multiple defenders miss and take it to the house,” Biggins wrote in his evaluation on June 4. “Can stop and start on a dime and change direction without having to gear down or lose much top end speed. Is natural catching the football and doesn’t need to slow down or fight it which allows him to quickly get up the field.”

“Has the speed to outrun a defense and had an impressive track season this spring with personal bests of 10.96-100m and 22.46-200m.”

He finished the 2023 season with 68 catches for 969 yards and 11 touchdowns, according to the Mercury News.

“Shows the versatility to play out wide or in the slot and should get opportunities in the return game as well,” Biggins wrote. “Has a really nice all around game and has a very high ceiling. Has the talent to play for any program in the country and has an NFL upside to him as well.”

Lawson is the fourth wide receiver to join Washington’s 2025 recruiting class. The Huskies earned an early commitment from Raiden Vines-Bright, a 247Sports composite four-star recruit from IMG Academy in Florida who began his high school career at Corona Del Sol High School in Tempe, Ariz., on April 15.

The Huskies also hold pledges from three-star athletes Dezmen Roebuck and Deji Ajose. Roebuck is a 5-foot-10, 170-pound standout from Marana, Ariz. Ajose, listed at 6-foot-2, 170 pounds, hails from Bishop O’Dowd High School across the bay from Lawson in Oakland, Calif.

Roebuck and Ajose are both two-way stars at their respective high schools, but were primarily recruited by UW wide receivers coach Kevin Cummings so they’ll likely start their collegiate careers on offense.

Lawson is also Washington’s fifth Bay-area pledge. Along with Ajose, the Huskies also have commitments from four-star offensive lineman Champ Taulealea from Valley Christian High School in San Jose, Calif., three-star edge rusher Devin Hyde out of Menlo-Atherton High School in Menlo Park, Calif. and three-star running back Julian McMahan, a Monte Vista High School standout from Danville, Calif.

Washington’s only expected to lose two wide receivers during the 2024 season: former California transfer Jeremiah Hunter and sixth-year contributor Giles Jackson.

The seven other receivers have minimal experience, combining for 17 catches and 193 yards. A majority of those stats come from sophomore wide receiver Kevin Green Jr., a spring transfer portal addition who reunited with Fisch and Cummings after spending the past two seasons at Arizona.
Sophomore Denzel Boston and redshirt freshman Rashid Williams enjoyed standout spring practices, and will likely contribute during the upcoming season. Redshirt freshman Keith Reynolds and true freshmen Justice Williams and Jason Robinson Jr. are Kalen DeBoer holdovers while true freshman Audric Harris, a Las Vegas native and Bishop Gorman High School standout, transferred to UW before spring practices after initially signing with Arizona.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:09 am
I am totally happy with the Job Jed has done but those rankings are misleading. The ranking is based on quantity over quality. UW has 5 more guys signed but Michigan and SC have a higher AVG in recruit ranking. I'd much rather have 10 Four Stars and 3 Three Stars like Michigan rather than 5 Four Stars and 13 Three Stars like We have.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:33 pm

I look at the average score per player.

In my opinion, this class is more like a 'hyped up' WSU or OSU class.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:48 am

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:33 pm

:roll:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:53 am

The overall and Composite rankings are both 17th. You must have just loved last year's class which were 30th and 47th. lol

https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... l/commits/
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:48 am

Does it not? The cougs and beavs usually get 2-3 4-star guys every year. UW usually gets 7-8 4-star and sometimes a 5-star guy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:48 am

Does it not? The cougs and beavs usually get 2-3 4-star guys every year. UW usually gets 7-8 4-star and sometimes a 5-star guy.
WSU got a Grand total of ONE four star guy in the past TWO years. They were ranked 80th last year.

OSU got a Grand total of ZERO four star guys in the past TWO years. They were ranked 88th last year.

https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... l/commits/

https://247sports.com/college/oregon-st ... l/commits/
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:59 pm

I did say "hyped up" class. I guess I should have said "in one of their better than average classes".
My Bad.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:25 pm

I wouldn't call it a great class for us and like I said, I don't know why we get a five star with seeming frequency of a Solar eclipse but it is a good class especially for his first ever here with massive losses to the NFL...
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:25 pm
I wouldn't call it a great class for us and like I said, I don't know why we get a five star with seeming frequency of a Solar eclipse but it is a good class especially for his first ever here with massive losses to the NFL...
That is certainly true.