BYU

Juliooooo

Re: BYU

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:37 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:17 am

Didn't you see the last minute of the 4th quarter? There was an offensive pass interference penalty against USC where the BYU defensive back was getting beat and fell down into the WR's legs, essentially tackling him. Ostensibly, because there had been some insignificant contact between them off the break they called it offensive PI. The commentators as well as the entire USC sideline (needless to say) were sure it was going the other way. It would have resulted in a USC first down just short of midfield with 41 seconds remaining in a tie game.

So, yeah, they likely had a victory stolen from them. If it wasn't corruption, it was certainly incompetence. And I have never defended Pac12 officiating so I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring that up.
First off, you realize that BYU is not in the MWC right? These refs were neutral refs with no ties to either side. You seem to have suggested that they were favoring BYU intentionally. I also found it ironic that you were afraid of another conferences refs. P12 is atrocious on both sides, and they are totally incompetent. MWC refs (do they even have their own refs) would be light years better than if Washington is bringing P12 refs.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:38 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:07 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:17 pm
BYU fan here, figure I'll chime in here since I'm on the forum already. Should be a better game than last year. BYU isn't great, and is a few plays from being 0-3, but they have a lot more confidence coming off the last 2 wins. Should be a closer game than last year, but BYU will have to play great and Washington will have to have an off game for BYU to win.

BYU is much better than last year. Wilson is a much better QB than Mangum was, despite being only a sophomore to Mangum being a Sr. BYU's top RB last year is now 3rd string, as they have 2 grad transfers, including one from South Carolina who is a big time recruit, and could possibly end up being a mid-late round draft pick with his size and speed combo. They have more depth at TE, and most of the receivers return and are looking much better this year (although there really isn't a big time receiver in the group).

Defensively, the DL has been playing much better, and the NT Tonga is a force. The LB don't have the experience or the big time playmaker they had in the past (Takitaki was 3rd round pick, and Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick before that), but they have a lot of young talent that seems to be stepping up. A lot of them were banged up last week, so depth may be an issue there. Probably the weakness of the defense. DB is better and more physical than last year at CB.

BYU usually plays pretty conservatively on defense and doesn't generally create much pressure. It was a horrible combo last year as Browning went 23-25, mostly off quick screen passes to the WR and RB. Hopefully BYU has a better gameplan against that, but I'm worried Washington will move the ball at will to get to the Redzone.

Offensively, the RB Williams is the best playmaker, and has been solid against some pretty good talent. Bushman at TE is probably the biggest playmaker, but teams have been doubling him and he hasn't been much of a factor because of it. The WR have generally been a weakness for BYU, but this year they are doing a better job of making tough catches, and not trying to do too much.

Anyway, I just hope for a good game and a better effort than last year from BYU. Going 2-2 early in the season is better than I expected, and the team looks better than last year overall. Heres to a good game, and that everyone stays healthy.
Hey what are you doing forum hopping! :)
I figured since I'm already a member, I could at least give you guys what to watch for from a BYU fans perspective.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm

believe the BYU USC game was officiated by PAC 12 officials

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:17 am

Didn't you see the last minute of the 4th quarter? There was an offensive pass interference penalty against USC where the BYU defensive back was getting beat and fell down into the WR's legs, essentially tackling him. Ostensibly, because there had been some insignificant contact between them off the break they called it offensive PI. The commentators as well as the entire USC sideline (needless to say) were sure it was going the other way. It would have resulted in a USC first down just short of midfield with 41 seconds remaining in a tie game.

So, yeah, they likely had a victory stolen from them. If it wasn't corruption, it was certainly incompetence. And I have never defended Pac12 officiating so I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring that up.
Ummm, wrong. The defender was running with the receiver, who pushed him with his right arm in the Left shoulder pad causing him to fall down. It was the right call. I was surprised it was made because it is usually missed, but it was the right call. Go back and watch it. Only reason the defender falls is because of the push by the offensive player.
Here's the video - let people judge for themselves.

https://youtu.be/aFATGeqhgw0?t=8577

The announcers first thought it was defensive PI then changed their minds to saying it should have been a no-call. It is hard to really say what caused the WR (Pittman) to fall down. Was he dragged down? Did he stumble due to being pushed off balance? Did he go down purposely to keep the WR from getting free? I suppose it could have been PI if the WR caused him to fall through the use of his arm. The defender also spun around and ran directly into the receiver's path, initiating contact and almost forcing him to use his arm to fend him off so that his momentum wouldn't be stopped. Unfortunately, you can't see Pittman's right arm/hand very well right before the DB goes down because of the camera angle. Another thing to consider is that if the DB hadn't run into him in the first place, Pittman may have caught the ball for a big gain.

Sure, I over-stated the significance of the call in the overall scheme of how the game played out. BYU played a good game and deserved to win as much as USC did. I didn't watch the game but happened to go to the channel it was on just before that play so it kind of skewed my impression of things. And then I assumed since it was in Provo that the officials must be from BYU's conference.

Anyway, should be a good game next week. I won't be surprised if the Huskies lose this one.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:44 pm

I think it should have been a no call. The offensive guy innitiated contact but it was really just hand fighting. I don't think that ball was catch able anyway.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 am

Hard to tell what made him fall down? Do you not see the Right arm of the receiver on the shoulder pad pull down right as he's falling? He pushed the CB down, and that is what caused the defender to trip up the receiver. It seems clear as day to me that the CB was pushed down. I could see them doing a no call, because that offensive PI is rarely called, but the offensive player caused the CB to fall as plain as day. To suggest that it was "Stealing the game" to not call defensive PI is laughable though.

And again, BYU is not in a conference, so the officials were neutral. Typically the visiting team will bring officials, but they worked out that it would be neutral officials instead of P12 in the contract with USC. Nobody wants P12 officials if possible. I sure hope they are neutral officials this weekend and not p12 officials.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 am

For reference, here is the TD for USC. Watch as the receiver grabs the shoulder pad of the defender to keep him from jumping and making a play on the ball. Also, very subjective to say he was "forced out" as the offensive player has more contact than the defender. I believe they saw this on the replay, and may be part of the reason they were looking for it later in the game.

https://youtu.be/aFATGeqhgw0?t=6390

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:59 am

again, i read that it was PAC 12 officials that worked the SC BYU game

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:05 am

DH: Well, Brandon Gurney, this game will be again officiated by Pac-12 officials and I’m not saying that they do a good job or a bad job, but it could be a factor. But what are your key factors?
https://www.deseret.com/2019/9/10/20859 ... il-podcast

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 am

I thought it was p12 officials at first, but was told during the game that it was B12. I can't find anything official. Don't know if Dick was just assuming it was P12 in that podcast, or not. Either way, P12 officials scare me. They are generally pretty bad for both sides.