For the angry Cougars looking for someone to blame...

D-train

Re: For the angry Cougars looking for someone to blame...

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:13 pm

I didn't finish my Masters in Finance at Seattle U but that doesn't stop me from being a huge fan of their football team! :lol:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:56 pm

Tom Flick and Ray Horton were playing for the Huskies the first time my dad took me to a game. We went pretty much once a year every year after until I was out of college. And no, I did not go to the U. A good friend of mine coached under Lambright, Neuheisel and Gilbertson. Through him I met a ton of the players, was in the lockerroom after a couple victories. Was on the sidelines for the epic comeback against AZ on the day they honored CW. I was standing in the corner of the endzone where Willie Hurst scored to put us ahead. I remember watching the replay of the game and seeing myself jumping around like a crazy person. I stood next to my buddies dad in the endzone that day. Shoulder to shoulder....we were screaming at each other when we talked, and couldn't hear a damn thing. You could feel the sound down on the field in your chest! It was absurd.

Sorry, I have had a deep connection with this team for as long as I can remember. As I am sure plenty of small town farm kids that grew up Cougar fans do. As a matter of fact? I grew up in one of those towns. My dad just wasn't a local and wasn't a farmer and I didn't grow up a Cougar fan. Many of those guys I know bleed Cougar red, and never attended. I am always quick to point out to them that most Cougar alums don't believe they can be fans because they didn't go to the school! It is quickly pointed out to me that it doesn't work that way. How convenient. Kind of like reverse racism right?

By the way, one of those Farmers who never left the home town? Is a HUGE Cougar donor. Funny thing is? He never went there, but they have no problem taking his donations? How strange. He has no skin in the game, can't be a fan, but goes to every home game and donates money. According to Cougar fans...shouldn't he be taking his business elsewhere?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:02 pm

I can't believe my good fortune for the first 3 weeks of the season. Have a 3:30pm and two 5pm (Cocktail Hour!) EDT start times for the first three weeks of the season! :D

I am sure once the P12 season starts all those TBDs will turn into the heinous 11pm EDT start times though. :evil:

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/schedule/2023
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:02 pm
I can't believe my good fortune for the first 3 weeks of the season. Have a 3:30pm and two 5pm (Cocktail Hour!) EDT start times for the first three weeks of the season! :D

I am sure once the P12 season starts all those TBDs will turn into the heinous 11pm EDT start times though. :evil:

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/schedule/2023
Everyone is pissed at us. My guess is the PAC 12 looks at all the complaining we did the past few seasons about night game and says…”oh yeah? Hold my beer,”

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:13 pm

At least there won't be any more of those fucking 7:30 pm conference games starting in '24.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:38 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:13 pm
At least there won't be any more of those fucking 7:30 pm conference games starting in '24.
Actually there have been A LOT of 11pm ET kickoffs since I have been here. Those games end about 2:30am in the morning for about 155 million people. And they wonder why the P12 folded....
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:41 am

Lamda wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:05 am
As a Coug I hope they walk away from the Apple cup. If I were the Prez i'd walk away after this year but it might continue for a few years but with the disparity in the programs depending on what happens to WSU, to continue the game much beyond that won't make a whole lot of sense for either side. At best, it lasts another 10 years.
The Pac 12 fucked up. It is all fucked up. You take several blue bloods from the #1 state in the country. You have Oregon and Nike's push, Washington and Arizona which are #12, and 13 by population, not to mention Colorado and Utah. And all the population they represent but they couldn't figure out how to get a media deal done.

And did the value of WSU's degrees just plummet.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:07 am

I will say I don't know which way this thing goes.

But when they were talking about the remaining 4 schools options, they basically had like go to:

Mountain West Which would be closer geographically. Which is really important for baseball and basketball which have more than say 5 or 6 road games which are separated by at least a week if not 2.

The MW does not have the dollars that the Pac 12 had. Endowment in the MW: lowest is Air Force with 98.9 M Highest is UNM with 577M. Compared to Pac Endowment dollars: Lowest was ASU 1.25 Billion, Highest is Stanford 37.8 B
Enrolled students Lowest Pac 12 is Stanford about 17K, Highest was ASU 79K+
MW Lowest enrollment is Air Force with just over 4100, SDSU and San Jose S.U. are tied for the top near 35K
The MW deal signed in 2020 pays those schools an average of 4M/ year

The AAC They have some bigger schools USF has near 51K in enrolled students and University of N Texas has about 42K enrolled students. The endowment The U of North Texas has the smallest at 211million and Rice is the biggest endowment of over 6 Billion. This conference would have some bigger markets in play Houston (Rice), U of T @ S.A. San Antonio, Dallas UNT, Tulane is in New Orleans, Temple is in Philadelphia, you have Tulsa and Wichita, Tampa/St Pete USF, UNC Charlotte Charlotte, Memphis, Birmingham, and of course the 4 remaining Pac 12 fan bases with the Bay being the big get. But the school's lucrative new deal signed in 2019 averaged out to 7 million or so per year.

Big 12? The two Arizona schools and Colorado and Utah are there. What if the pitch was to join the remaining 4 and outgoing 4 into the big 12? Let's assume the Big 12 can scale up the 2.2 B deal they had back in 2022 and just enlarge it from 14 schools which included Texas and Oklahoma but adds the 8 Pac 12 schools. The original average was 27.1 M per school. And that is more than they had in guarantees as the Pac 10 negotiated with Apple(23 Million per school +/-)

Big 10? This is probably the best fit. UW and OU gently remind little brother about being little brother and if the 4 Blue bloods are taking 1/2 shares maybe the Beavs and the Cougs take 1/3rd shares? I don't see them pushing that toward Stanford and Cal as between the endowments, markets they are in, academic excellence, and athletic excellence if I could remind our readers gently, "Pac 12 Conference of Champions": Universities by Olympic medals:
1. USC 309
2. Stanford 270
3. UCLA 233
4. Cal 207
5 Mich. 6. U of Texas, 7. U of Florida, 8. Harvard 108, 9. Yale 107
10 tie Ohio S. and Indiana 104

UW is 12th
U. Arizona is 13th
ASU is 20th
U. of O. is 41st
OSU is #52
Colorado was #54
and
WAZZU # 77
Utah #99

I am just dismayed that a really academically focused division could be so outplayed, outwitted, and utterly defeated while having such a wealth of resources in dollars in funding, markets that are marketable, and just go belly up and take their collective knees to Billy Joe Bible Belt and Detroit Rock City Buck eye.

I am having a melt down here. How about Nobel prize winners ranks from Power 5's
#1 Cal (2nd only to Harvard)
#2 Stanford ( 6th overall 3 Ivy's and U of Chicago ahead)
#16 U. of Minnesota
#17 UCSD???
18 Mich.
19 U. of Wisconsin
20. UCLA
22 Northwestern (If this doesn't = the other Pac 12 schools should join I do not know what does.
24 UW
27 Duke (1st non-Pac-BIG power 5 type
28 UCSB????????????
29 U of Colorado
31 U of Texas at Austin ( Big 12 --> and 1st SEC)
33 USC
Of the 1st 33 overall Nobel prize winning credited to Universities: Power 5 programs the top 2 are/were PAC & had 6 of them BIG had 4, ACC had one and either the Big 12 had 1 or now SEC has 1.

How the FK did PAC 12 leadership have this embarrassment of riches and end up sucking dick for beer money :?: :?: :?: :?:

I am thinking that the remainder of the PAC 12 the group of four push for a joining with the BIG. They are a conference that has the similar academic prowess while having the athletic focus as well.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:11 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:07 am

How the FK did PAC 12 leadership have this embarrassment of riches and end up sucking dick for beer money :?: :?: :?: :?:

I nominate this as the quote of the day.
:lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:45 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:11 pm
Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:07 am

I nominate this as the quote of the day.
:lol:
The answer might not be this simple, because it all came down to football and money, and maybe a little basketball sprinkled in. But I would answer the question in two parts. Larry Scott is an absolute fuck up, and the Conference Presidents are arrogant idiots that completely over valued their product and gave total control to Larry Fucking Scott.

There are only 13 people in America that thought what was going on with the Pac 12 Network was OK. 12 Pac 12 Presidents and Larry Fucking Scott. Less than half of the sports fans in America, and FAR fewer then half the sports fans in your region can watch your fucking Network, and you can't figure it out!? The Pac 12 died the day he sent out a message to fans in Pac 12 areas to change providers if they don't have the Pac 12. Change to what, you fucking arrogant jackass!?

I already posted the story about the three person committee that was taxed with figuring out if the $30 million offered by ESPN, you know, the one the Big 12 basically accepted after our idiots passed? One of the people on that committee was the President at WSU. One of four schools now left out in the cold. Plenty of blame to go around here, well, at least a blame pie split into 13 pieces, IMO.

Better yet, probably 26 pieces. 12 of them for the dumb asses that sat back and watched Larry fuck it up, and then 14 pieces for that mother fucker Scott that basically stole money while he was here.