CFP ranking thread

Michael K.

Re: CFP ranking thread

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:29 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:18 pm
Wilner is such a dipshit.
In his AP Poll he has the Dawgs ahead of Oregon, but in his weekly power rankings they are behind them.
:roll:
Again...looking for clicks. Non of it really matters.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:11 pm

57reasons wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:04 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:56 am
Wilner moved Oregon ahead of us after we slogged our way to a Win at Stanford. He's not changing it unless they lose. Lucky for us it doesn't matter. My son saw some shit on ESPN yesterday had us at like 12! Shit like that gets clicks, and that's all that matters.
i think Wilner's right though (not all those others). Oregon to me looks like the best team this side of Georgia, with the Dawgs just slightly behind. Not to say we dont deserve to be ranked higher in the polls, just my overall impression. What i hate is this narrative that UW has to win out to make the CFP. Why? does Michigan have to win out? does Georgia? Ohio State? I wont say FSU because they probably do, but i'd take our resume over Georgia and Michigan any day.
Neither Michigan or Georgia would make the playoff as a 1 loss team. The only way they would get in is if a couple of 2 loss teams managed to win power 5 conference championships which isn't going to happen this year.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:26 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:11 pm

Neither Michigan or Georgia would make the playoff as a 1 loss team. The only way they would get in is if a couple of 2 loss teams managed to win power 5 conference championships which isn't going to happen this year.
I agree on Michigan, because the Ohio State vs Michigan winner gets in. That said, if Bama beats Georgia in the SEC Championship game? The committee will put them both in. That scenario would be the Big 10 Winner, two SEC teams, and Oregon if they beat us, or FSU if we beat Oregon. I promise you that. We ill be punished for the back to back weeks we didn't destroy our opponent. Not sure why FSU doesn't get punished for an entire year of that. MAYBE, if we beat Oregon they have us jump FSU at the end. But my guess is they wouldn't...mostly because they wouldn't want to answer for why they had them above us all year.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:58 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:26 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:11 pm

I agree on Michigan, because the Ohio State vs Michigan winner gets in. That said, if Bama beats Georgia in the SEC Championship game? The committee will put them both in. That scenario would be the Big 10 Winner, two SEC teams, and Oregon if they beat us, or FSU if we beat Oregon. I promise you that. We ill be punished for the back to back weeks we didn't destroy our opponent. Not sure why FSU doesn't get punished for an entire year of that. MAYBE, if we beat Oregon they have us jump FSU at the end. But my guess is they wouldn't...mostly because they wouldn't want to answer for why they had them above us all year.
There is zero chance that a 1 loss Georgia without a conference championship gets in over either UW or FSU if they are both undefeated. If UW Loses to Oregon State and Beats Oregon in the Pac 12 championship I still think UW would get in over a 1 loss Georgia. Georgia would probably get in if Louisville beats FSU in the ACC championship because Louisville's one loss was to a really bad team.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:03 pm

I hope you are right, but I am pretty sure that the SEC love would trump us or FSU.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:37 am

i see our Utah victory wasnt enough to displace FSU for 4th - what a joke. no way their performance against their schedule outpaces ours this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 pm

It is annoying but I am looking at it like this. OSU Michigan loser is out so if we win out nobody will jump us so we are in.

If we lose there are ways that we should still make it but I have zero expectations that we will and it will be nobody's fault but ours so I will be fine with it...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 pm
It is annoying but I am looking at it like this. OSU Michigan loser is out so if we win out nobody will jump us so we are in.

If we lose there are ways that we should still make it but I have zero expectations that we will and it will be nobody's fault but ours so I will be fine with it...
Still, these rankings are garbage. Yes, they will sort themselves out, but if the ranking isn't an actual reflection of where each team is RIGHT NOW? Why have them? There is ZERO chance that Oregon or USC could have our resume and still be ranked below anyone except Ohio State and maybe Georgia. But Michigan? Fucking Florida State!?

As for being fine with it, if we lose? We play in arguably the second best top to bottom Conference in all of football...and one loss will cripple our chances? I am not fine with that.
Last edited by Michael K. on Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:20 pm

57reasons wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:37 am
i see our Utah victory wasnt enough to displace FSU for 4th - what a joke. no way their performance against their schedule outpaces ours this year.
You would have to think that a win over Oregon State would be enough for the flip. That would make 4 teams currently in the top 25 that we would have beaten compared to 1 for FSU.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:24 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:20 pm
57reasons wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:37 am
You would have to think that a win over Oregon State would be enough for the flip. That would make 4 teams currently in the top 25 that we would have beaten compared to 1 for FSU.
I see what you are saying, but this is exactly what pisses me off about these committees. So, three isn't better than one? If the committee is honestly ranking these teams based on their body of work at this time? They would have us at four, and maybe three. Like I mentioned, they do this shit for effect. That is why they raised a Big 12 team and Utah last year right before the CCG. They wanted to add intrigue to the matchups.