2023 Week 9: UW Football - S-furd

Michael K.

Re: 2023 Week 9: UW Football - S-furd

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:04 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:49 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 pm
We hold steady at 5 Oregon is at 6. The first CFP rankingcome out Tuesday. That's the only one that matters.
Many pundits are predicting that Whoregon and the Huskies meet in the Pac-12 Championship game...with Whoregon winning.
Yeah, and the Ducks would get in, IMO, based on winning in a neutral site and losing on the road. If they both have only one loss….they should both get in, but won’t. Four teams was the stupidest idea. Only the NCAA would think that if you start a season with over 100 teams that all you need to decide the champ is to have four of them play at the end of the year. :roll:

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:24 pm

Doesn't feel like it right now but if we beat them once we can beat them again.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:24 pm
Doesn't feel like it right now but if we beat them once we can beat them again.
I think there was a lot going against us after the Oregon game. I know I've said it over and over, but it bears repeating...Penix was hurt in the Oregon game. Gritty effing kid obviously to finish that game the way he did, but he was obviously in pain. Then there is the natural let down. Read this forum, we were predicting 30, 40 or 50 point blow outs the last two weeks. No way the kids don't go in a little less motivated. I don't see that against USC, Utah or WSU...and certainly not if they get in to the Ship and draw Oregon.

I think we win out, but Oregon in the Ship scares me. Hard to beat a team like that twice in one year. Hell, Coach Pete could only beat them twice in his career! Even though every time we played them in his tenure we should have won. There is just something about the Green and Gold that haunts us.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:51 pm

Fortunately there is a lot of time between now and the PAC 12 title game to right the ship and get healthy. Got to make sure they make it there in the meantime though. I think we see a much more polished game coming up here against USC.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 pm

I think the same way Captain. I really do think we have held some stuff back on offense after beating Oregon and knowing we had two bottom of the Conference teams next. It almost bit us in the ass against ASU...but the play calling didn't cause us to turn the ball over left and right.

Fungo

Post by Fungo » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:43 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 pm
I think the same way Captain. I really do think we have held some stuff back on offense after beating Oregon and knowing we had two bottom of the Conference teams next. It almost bit us in the ass against ASU...but the play calling didn't cause us to turn the ball over left and right.
The poor pass defense against Stanford was certainly not because we were holding back stuff. I'm afraid Caleb Williams has the ability to overwhelm our defense. I just hope he doesn't find his groove. It's plain to me that we will get beat if we play anywhere near as bad as the past two weeks. The old argument that this team beat USC by so many points and we beat them doesn't hold water. I think the only way we win this thing is to score 50 points.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:50 am

Fungo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:43 am
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 pm
The poor pass defense against Stanford was certainly not because we were holding back stuff. I'm afraid Caleb Williams has the ability to overwhelm our defense. I just hope he doesn't find his groove. It's plain to me that we will get beat if we play anywhere near as bad as the past two weeks. The old argument that this team beat USC by so many points and we beat them doesn't hold water. I think the only way we win this thing is to score 50 points.
If Cal can score 49 we can score 50.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:58 am

dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:58 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:04 pm
ddraig wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:49 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 pm
We hold steady at 5 Oregon is at 6. The first CFP rankingcome out Tuesday. That's the only one that matters.
Many pundits are predicting that Whoregon and the Huskies meet in the Pac-12 Championship game...with Whoregon winning.
Yeah, and the Ducks would get in, IMO, based on winning in a neutral site and losing on the road. If they both have only one loss….they should both get in, but won’t. Four teams was the stupidest idea. Only the NCAA would think that if you start a season with over 100 teams that all you need to decide the champ is to have four of them play at the end of the year. :roll:
I'd prefer 16 teams. Take all the Conference Winners and then fill out the remainder with "At Large" teams. Eight games the first weekend, four games the following week. Two the next week, and then the Championship Game. 15 games total and a month to do it. Play the Games at neutral sites and those teams in the SEC have to play elsewhere than in the South. There are many relatively "Warm Weather" sites that can be used. Seattle included. San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Phoenix are also possibilities. That's five of the 15 sites needed.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:55 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:58 pm

I'd prefer 16 teams. Take all the Conference Winners and then fill out the remainder with "At Large" teams. Eight games the first weekend, four games the following week. Two the next week, and then the Championship Game. 15 games total and a month to do it. Play the Games at neutral sites and those teams in the SEC have to play elsewhere than in the South. There are many relatively "Warm Weather" sites that can be used. Seattle included. San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Phoenix are also possibilities. That's five of the 15 sites needed.
I've always said that....use the Bowl sites or NFL sites in warm locations, what ever. I'd even settle for 12 teams. You want controversy? Decide which of the Power 5 Champs doesn't get a bye! That seems to be what they love the most about this bullshit format....the controversy that keeps them in the news each and every week. Of course? Starting next year, it wouldn't me much controversy as there will only be 4 Power 5 Conferences. The winner of each Conference Championship game would get a bye in a 12 team format.

The only reason I like 12 more than 16 is I think from 13 to 16 you are looking at some pretty weak competition. Right now those first four games if you just use the AP rankings?

Georgia vs Oregon State
Michigan vs Louisville
Ohio State vs Missouri
Florida St vs LSU

So, never mind. Fuck it, let's have 16 teams. Those are some pretty decent games!

Washington would draw ND!

In either format, I'd like to see the first round games be played at the home field of the higher seed. There needs to be some more reward for having the better resume, IMO. Or use seedings....So Georgia would play at Mercedes Benz in Atlanta. Michigan could play at Ford Field in Detroit. Ohio State plays in Cincy or Celevelan and Florida State plays at Hard Rock in Miami. Huskies get Lumen?

I'd still rather see it be home field, TBH.