Re: Kalen DeBoer

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:44 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:22 pm
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:12 pm

I see it as the the same issues I had with the Peterson hire.....
So what, if he is great in the JV league. Can he sustain it in the majors (Power 5 conference).

This isn't just game planning for 2-3 game a season. In a power 5 conference you must be able to game plan for all 12 games, and Peterson didn't hack it. I truly hope Kalen can.
Really? I have a big problem with the way that Peterson just up and quit but I really don't understand how anyone could have a problem with him as a coach. He "hacked it better than any coach we have ever had other than Don James. Peterson won 10 or more games 3 years in a row. James never did that.
Yeah, agree with that. I never understood how people could have an issue with a coach that took second tier recruits and Beat Oklahoma an other Power 5 schools.
So, how many years did Don James coach in a power 5 conference verses Peterson?
Who burned out first?
Did DJ actually burn out?

It is a world of difference between game planning 12 games verses 2 games....just saying.

Am I happy with the quality of teams we had under Peterson, sure I am, but still wonder about the 7 games he blew (I don't care what the charts say).

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 pm

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:15 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:44 pm
Captain 97 wrote:

Really? I have a big problem with the way that Peterson just up and quit but I really don't understand how anyone could have a problem with him as a coach. He "hacked it better than any coach we have ever had other than Don James. Peterson won 10 or more games 3 years in a row. James never did that.
Yeah, agree with that. I never understood how people could have an issue with a coach that took second tier recruits and Beat Oklahoma an other Power 5 schools.
So, how many years did Don James coach in a power 5 conference verses Peterson?
Who burned out first?
Did DJ actually burn out?

It is a world of difference between game planning 12 games verses 2 games....just saying.

Am I happy with the quality of teams we had under Peterson, sure I am, but still wonder about the 7 games he blew (I don't care what the charts say).
Oh I do remember that road game when they just had to kneel down and then he said he wouldn't do it differently. Brutal.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:32 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Ok thats fine if your not impressed that's your prerogative. It's just odd that you would try to use one of the most successful coaches in the history of the game as a comparison for why you are not impressed.
So what, if he is great in the JV league. Can he sustain it in the majors (Power 5 conference).

This isn't just game planning for 2-3 game a season. In a power 5 conference you must be able to game plan for all 12 games, and Peterson didn't hack it. I truly hope Kalen can.
True, but James won the national title.
And had 5 seasons with 10 or more wins.
And coached 3 times as long as Peterson in a power 5 conference without burning out.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:34 pm

We can also say that New-weazle finished 3rd place in 2000.....Peterson only got as high as 4th.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:22 am

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:32 pm
Captain 97 wrote:

True, but James won the national title.
And had 5 seasons with 10 or more wins.
And coached 3 times as long as Peterson in a power 5 conference without burning out.
When James coached they only played 11 games + bowl game. Under Peterson it was 12 games + conf champ game + bowl game. So 12 games vs 13-14 games. Not really a fair comparison.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:05 am

I agree...and there were not 50 different bowl games.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:51 am

Who's to say James didn't burn out? He coached in an era where he needed to keep working to support himself and didn't have the luxury of just walking away. It took him six years before he got the Huskies into the national title conversation in the early 80's. Then he had a long run of mediocrity before getting back on top in the 90's. Man they were 6-5 in 1988. If he had Millions of dollars in the bank Like Peterson maybe he would have hit the road too.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Just to get back on track. My "inside" source is indicating that Junior Adams will be the only coach retained. Another interesting tidbit is that Cristobal may leave Oregon for one of the Florida schools because his wife hates Eugene. I think Kalen is bringing most of his staff with him including the OC. He seems to be making the right moves so far but recruitment and the portal will tell the tale.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:04 am

Haha Oregon gets beat down by the Utes again 38-10.
Wittingham > Cristobal

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:08 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:04 am
Haha Oregon gets beat down by the Utes again 38-10.
Wittingham > Cristobal
Outscored them 68-17 in eight quarters. Damn.