But do they REALLY want to stop the run?

Michael K.

But do they REALLY want to stop the run?

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Two comments taken form a ST article about the Huskies new DC. Pretty much scares the shit out of me. This is Jimmy Lake, to a T.
“We’ve got to talk about it. There’s no doubt,” he said last month. “I think it was around 200 yards we gave up last year — which, we’re not going to win a lot of games if we give up 200 yards rushing. So talking about it......."
Makes perfect sense right, I mean, you can't give up 200 yards per game. 80th in the Country and 8th in Conference? But then, the article continues.
And it isn’t all talk. After traditionally relying on two defensive linemen in a system that emphasizes the secondary, Washington routinely added a third big body up front this spring. In those packages, sophomore Faatui Tuitele joined junior stalwarts Tuli Letuligasenoa and Sam “Taki” Taimani with the starters.

But how often will UW deploy its extra defensive lineman? And will that schematic adjustment yield the intended results? Will shining a light allow Washington’s defense to grow, or wilt?
So, the big debate about how we are going to stop the run is how often will we play a freaking 3rd D lineman!? Jesus. Does he care about anything besides getting DBs drafted and stopping the Air Raid?

Sounds to me like they are just waiting for the next Vita Vea or Danny Shelton so they can have one man stop the run game. I guess those guys just grow on trees in the Pac 12?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... subscriber

D-train

Re: But do they REALLY want to stop the run?

Post by D-train » Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Adding a 3rd DL is the big bold move? :| Are they not aware that the majority of Defenses have 4? :shock:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 17, 2021 3:10 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm
Adding a 3rd DL is the big bold move? :| Are they not aware that the majority of Defenses have 4? :shock:
Four, and often times an OLB at the LOS. We are too busy protecting against the deep ball against running teams to be concerned with that. Just play two down lineman and get to third and short and pray they screw up. Sorry, Leach is gone and so is Rich Rod. Everyone worth their salt is just gonna pound us into submission, and the coaches will stand on the sidelines screaming at the two lineman and three LBs that can’t stop the run.

Can’t make this shit up. Stanford will have more down lineman than we have lineman AND LBs, and Jimmy will talk after the game about how we need to do better against the run. We want to stop the run, and the genius move is to add a 3rd Lineman!?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm

Is it possible Jimmy Lake is as dumb as he appears to be?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 18, 2021 12:38 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm
Great Charisma though and checks the diversity box. Win Win.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 18, 2021 3:21 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm
I read yesterday that they are working on a three TE package. Only the Jimmy lead Huskies would play more TEs on Offense than D Lineman on Defense.