Dawgs get another CB

Walla Walla Dawg II

Dawgs get another CB

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Why in the hell do we need another cornerback?

Someone/anyone explain why we need 12 cornerbacks on the roster?

https://247sports.com/Player/Davon-Banks-46080292/
-not even a very good one-

Michael K.

Re: Dawgs get another CB

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:06 pm

I don't know if I would say "not even very good."
It appears Jimmy Lake, Will Harris and Terrence Brown must have seen something in Banks that other college recruiters couldn’t.

Of course, one reason they couldn’t is that Banks tore the same meniscus twice during a frustrating prep career — forcing him to miss the majority of his junior season as well as the following spring. His senior season was then pushed to April of this year, after colleges nationwide had already solidified their signing classes.

But in a 35-21 win over Citrus Hill on April 17, the under-recruited two-way star piled up four catches for 171 yards and two touchdowns, including scores of 39 and 85 yards, while adding a 92-yard kickoff return touchdown as well. Two other Banks touchdowns were negated by penalties, most notably a 99-yard would-be pick-six.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... subscriber

A lot of his highlights are on offense, but it sure seems like he can run. A bit small, but aren't all of our Nickel Backs?

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:06 pm
I don't know if I would say "not even very good."
It appears Jimmy Lake, Will Harris and Terrence Brown must have seen something in Banks that other college recruiters couldn’t.

Of course, one reason they couldn’t is that Banks tore the same meniscus twice during a frustrating prep career — forcing him to miss the majority of his junior season as well as the following spring. His senior season was then pushed to April of this year, after colleges nationwide had already solidified their signing classes.

But in a 35-21 win over Citrus Hill on April 17, the under-recruited two-way star piled up four catches for 171 yards and two touchdowns, including scores of 39 and 85 yards, while adding a 92-yard kickoff return touchdown as well. Two other Banks touchdowns were negated by penalties, most notably a 99-yard would-be pick-six.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... subscriber

A lot of his highlights are on offense, but it sure seems like he can run. A bit small, but aren't all of our Nickel Backs?
If other coaches can see it, that would explain why Lake is after him. :? :?

Maybe he should be some offensive linemen....or defensive linemen.....12 cornerbacks is a few too many.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Funny thinking Lake is to DBs as Jerry Dipoto is to Relief Pitchers. Lake was a mediocre safety in college and JD was a mediocre reliever in MLB.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm

They offered. He committed.

The recruiting sites scrambled.

“He was off the radar, honestly,” Biggins said. “It’s kind of embarrassing to admit that, right? He’s in my own backyard, essentially. Southern California is my region. I had heard about him as a sophomore, and then he completely fell off for me.

“So (after the injuries and postponed senior season) he was kind of just out of sight, out of mind. Then all of a sudden I’m seeing that he committed and my first thought was, ‘Oh, I remember that guy from a couple years ago. That’s a pretty solid preferred walk-on for UW.’ Then I go, wait, this is actually a commitment. I hit up (defensive backs coach) Will Harris at UW. And he’s like, ‘No, he’s a dude for us.’”

According to Galliano, that dude can do just about everything.
One percentage point from four Stars!
“He’s going to bring speed,” he said. “He’s very athletic. He’s football smart, and he’s not afraid to come down and hit you either. That’s the one thing that separates him from a lot of people: he’s not afraid of contact. And he has great ball skills. He played wideout for us. So I think they got a good one.”

The film said the same.

On the morning of June 16 — the day he announced his commitment — Banks lacked a profile picture, a star ranking or a scholarship offer in the 247Sports database.

A day later, he was assigned a recruiting ranking of 89, a single percentage point from four-star status. (For context, UW’s other 2021 cornerback signees — Zakhari Spears and Dyson McCutcheon — also earned an 89 each.)
Worrying about star rankings is often a futile effort, but especially during COVID.
“I did some background and went out and watched his season highlights with one of our guys from Texas who’s on our rankings team, and we’re both going, ‘This guy is, like, legit. He’s got length. He’s fast. He’s quick. He has ball skills. He has short-area burst. This guy has almost everything you could possibly want,’” Biggins said.

“We’ve always been big on two-sport athletes, but especially if you’re a skill guy, that verified speed you see in track. He goes out and he ran a 10.78 (100 meters). So he’s 6 feet, long arms, 10.78, making plays with the tape on. He essentially was someone who we were trying to figure out, ‘How high can we rank this guy without ever seeing him live and in person?’

“I thought he was just a really good late pickup. Man, he’s got a nice skill set and a nice package, for sure.”

Galliano knew it. The Huskies knew it.

And in any other year, they wouldn’t be alone.

“In a normal year where he had a fall season and now he’s playing well and now he’s on the radar, 100% he’s getting noticed by a lot more than Washington,” Biggins said. “But it just happened to be bad luck for him. He’s having this really big year, and then track comes around, and it’s too late … except for Washington. And that’s like a dream school for him. It worked out perfectly for both sides.”
Seems maybe reacting to getting an unranked kid and acting like it is a waste might be a bit premature.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... von-banks/