Dylan Morris looked ELITE!!!

D-train

Dylan Morris looked ELITE!!!

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58 pm

By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Dylan Morris looked elite.

That’s the word Cade Otton used, and honestly, it’s hard to argue. In Washington’s scrimmage Saturday — which was attended by roughly 1,500 spectators inside Husky Stadium — the second-year starter from Puyallup completed 17 of 26 passes, throwing for 214 yards with two passing touchdowns as well as a rushing score.

The highlight was a 27-yard touchdown strike up the seam to wide receiver Rome Odunze — who corralled the pass and held on, despite being sandwiched by Husky safeties Julius Irvin and Cameron Williams. Morris later slung a short completion to running back Kamari Pleasant, who coasted into the end zone for a 15-yard score that capped off a meticulous 99-yard march.

Of course, this excellence is accompanied by caveats. Because it was a scrimmage, Morris’ opponents were prohibited from tackling the third-year freshman. And many defensive starters — including linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio and cornerbacks Trent McDuffie and Kyler Gordon — played sparingly to prevent potential injury.

Even so, Morris continues to surge as the season opener against Montana approaches Sept. 4.

And, scrimmage or not, Morris’ improvement is not a mirage.

“It’s been just fun to watch,” Otton said. “I think you see the growth. It hasn’t been something where it’s been stagnant or you’ve seen him regress. He’s been constantly getting better, constantly making better reads, constantly having more control of the offense. You’re seeing an elite quarterback coming in today and moving the ball down the field, and I’m excited to work with him going forward.”

Speaking of work, freshman quarterback Sam Huard continues to receive more of it, with graduate transfer Patrick O’Brien sitting out a second consecutive practice with his right hand in a brace. Huard operated as the Huskies’ backup quarterback Saturday, while freshman walk-on Camden Sirmon took the entirety of the third-team snaps.

And Huard produced a few highlights of his own — notably a rainbow that wide receiver Sawyer Racanelli ripped away from safety Asa Turner for a 16-yard score. The former five-star quarterback from Kennedy Catholic completed 17 of 32 passes for 226 yards and a touchdown in the most meaningful snaps of his young Husky career.

But whether it was Morris or Huard, wide receiver Taj Davis dominated UW’s defense. With Jalen McMillan (who, according to his social media, has had surgery on his right hand) and Terrell Bynum (who watched from the sideline but did not appear seriously injured) both sitting out, Davis received reps with both the starters and the second-team offense — churning out a whopping 12 catches for 183 yards.

With Bynum and Odunze assumed starters at wide receiver, Davis, Ja’Lynn Polk and Giles Jackson could each conceivably slide into the final spot.

But while Polk also produced Saturday, it was Davis who seemed occasionally un-coverable.

“We always talk about, practice execution becomes game reality,” UW head coach Jimmy Lake said. “He was doing it in practice, doing it in practice. It showed up in the spring game. He’s been doing it in practice in training camp, and now he shows up in one of our biggest scrimmages of this training camp. Just like everyone, he’s still got things to improve on. But it’s awesome seeing Taj take the next step in his game.”

A game simulation
It goes without saying that the scrimmage Saturday won’t show up on Washington’s 2021 schedule.

But don’t tell that to sophomore inside linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio.

“I was honestly playing like it was a game, because it felt too much like a game,” Ulofoshio said. “We went to the hotel (on Friday night) and coach Lake made this great speech and I was like, ‘I can’t believe this isn’t a game right now.’ We went on the bus (to go to the stadium) and went through the whole regimen and everything.”

But while the proceedings were designed to simulate a regular-season game, Lake admitted that didn’t fully apply to the team’s play-calling.

“Those are internal things where we say, ‘Hey, we know we ran this play last year. It’s already on film. It’s OK if we show it again,’” he said. “You guys have noticed, we’ve been way more open this year than any year in the past, and we’ve probably been way more open than other teams in the country. But now this is the last day (the media or fans can watch practice). You’re out after this.

“It’s funny, because we’ll run things on defense that we’ve run for the last eight years. So there’s really not a secret in some of the stuff we’re doing. But now as no one will be at practice for the next two weeks, definitely the installs will go in for our first game. It’ll be different plays, different schematics that are just for our first opponent.”

And, besides the absence of an actual opponent, the scrimmage differed from the experience Sept. 4 in one other obvious way.

“It feels like something from a past life, playing in front of 70,000 (fans),” Otton said wistfully. “You kind of faintly remember the roar of the crowd and the electricity, and you can’t hear yourself think. You can feel the noise. I just kind of replay that in my head. It’s different when you’re in the moment. So I’m excited to get that feeling back, to have Husky Nation back in the stadium. I can’t wait.”

Extra points
Seahawks general manager John Schneider attended the scrimmage.
Irvin and Williams worked as the starting safeties Saturday, and it’s looking more likely they’ll be the starting tandem Sept. 4. Lake was unwilling to make that leap, however, saying only that “those guys are going to be playing against Montana, for sure, and early. But there could be some other guys as well that could be thrown into the rotation.”
Morris’ first pass of the day was knocked down by sophomore defensive lineman Tuli Letuligasenoa, who proceeded to wag his finger in defiance.
The biggest hits were delivered by redshirt freshman cornerback Mishael Powell, who upended wide receiver Jackson to force an incompletion and later popped tight end Quentin Moore to add an exclamation point on the end of a 19-yard catch. Second-year freshman inside linebacker Carson Bruener also came hard up the middle to corral running back Caleb Berry for a tackle for loss.
Besides their primary positions, safety Julius Irvin and nickelback Brendan Radley-Hiles took occasional reps at cornerback as well.
Inside linebackers Drew Fowler and M.J. Tafisi and defensive linemen Kuao Peihopa and Voi Tunuufi all recorded sacks Saturday.
Running back Cameron Davis was UW’s primary kick returner, while Odunze and Jackson returned punts.
Redshirt freshman Julius Buelow again operated as the starting left guard, while sophomore Ulumoo Ale — the returning starter at that position — worked with the second team at right guard.
Kicker Peyton Henry converted 1 of 2 field-goal attempts, knocking through a 36-yarder before drilling a 29-yarder off the left crossbar. Tim Horn made a short field goal as well.
dt

D-train

Re: Dylan Morris looked ELITE!!!

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58 pm

JS scouting Morris to replace RW??? :lol:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Crazy to think Sirmon is now third string. I watched him play before COVID. He was OK, but I sure never thought PAC 12.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:05 pm
Crazy to think Sirmon is now third string. I watched him play before COVID. He was OK, but I sure never thought PAC 12.
Remember all the excitement about Sirmon and Yankoff. That sure fizzled hard and fast...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:02 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:05 pm
Remember all the excitement about Sirmon and Yankoff. That sure fizzled hard and fast...
Yep, and I don’t think either are playing are they? Pretty sure Yankoff moved to WR and Sirmon is in a two way battle at Central Michigan. No offense, but if a guy should start in the PAC 12, should be be in a QB competition at Central Michigan?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:57 am

Dylan Morris elite, that's hilarious.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:07 pm

I really would like this to be true, but find it hard to believe.

I will believe it when I see him shred Montana (sorry, if he shreds Montana). Then and only then will I start to believe. :shock:

But if he shreds Michigan......I will become a believer.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:41 pm

So if Dylan Morris has a great season, Huard is gone, right?

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:27 pm

I don't think so. I think Sam's here for the long haul.

If Morris has a great season, I think he will declare for the draft because he can see the writing on the wall that another season for him "may not happen".

The Huard family (and a lot of boosters) want Sam to start for 4 years and take all the QB records.....and I think he can do that baring injury. The kid has the skills and talent to do that (with the right supporting cast). He already looks pretty good and he has only been there for 3-4 months. Sam's ceiling is much higher than Morris's.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 pm

What if he only has a good season?