UW Football Week 6; bye

D-train

Re: UW Football Week 6; bye

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:20 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:29 pm
Obviously the program is not where we want it to be but I don't think its nearly as dire as it looks. There is a lot of potential with this team they just seem to be struggling to find themselves and have an identity that they can thrive with. This whole conference is a disaster and any team can throw out a clunker any week. Maybe I am just a pie in the sky optimist when it comes to the Huskies, but I think we beat Arizona, Colorado and the Cuogs for sure. and I think we will win at least one more in an upset hopefully against the toilet seats and get bowl eligible.
The mass exodus of players isn't promising, and I have little faith in the staff. But I hope you are right!
The recruiting seems even worse than the play on the field. How will it be next year if we go 4-8.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:02 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:58 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:29 pm
Obviously the program is not where we want it to be but I don't think its nearly as dire as it looks. There is a lot of potential with this team they just seem to be struggling to find themselves and have an identity that they can thrive with. This whole conference is a disaster and any team can throw out a clunker any week. Maybe I am just a pie in the sky optimist when it comes to the Huskies, but I think we beat Arizona, Colorado and the Cuogs for sure. and I think we will win at least one more in an upset hopefully against the toilet seats and get bowl eligible.
Unfortunately, their identity is "the school" that lost to a FCS school.

It's hard to rebound from that!! Every player knows that they are the school that lost to a FCS school (doesn't matter which school). Every player knows they are the school that got totally bitch slapped by Michigan. Every player knows they are the school that lost to the Beavers....and needed overtime to beat Cal.

This team is a train wreck, and the entire roster knows it.

But, I will root for them....I agree that we beat AZ, Col and WSU. Don't know where else we get another win, but stranger things have happened.

I am still astounded that everyone thought our Dawgs would be a 10+ win team. How wrong they were. :shock:
I know comparing our game to WSUs game vs. Cal is flawed but I don't have any confidence that we beat them based on that alone.
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:13 am

Lake will keep his job based on the color of his skin instead of his success

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:58 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:24 pm
That may not be as big of a deal as you think. Kids have short memories. In 2015 The Cuogs Lost to an FCS School and ended up winning 9 games. In 2016, they lost to another FCS school in week one and to a mountain west school in week 2 They went on and only lost 2 games in conference. If we wouldn't have beat them in the apple cup they would have been playing in the Rose Bowl.
I can understand why it wouldn't affect the Cougs as much as other schools. Wasn't it the late, great Don James that said WSU teaches you not to expect too much from life.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:01 am

Cougars beat the Beavers
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 pm

I attended Penn St@Iowa yesterday. Absolutely unreal experience

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:01 am
Cougars beat the Beavers
Yeah, just like with Cal, we see a week later that the Beavs are nothing special. Either that or WSU is a top 25 caliber team.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:07 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 pm
Wow. I went to the 1992 Rose Bowl. Neutral site but still amazing and is still the best college football experience I have ever had.
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:07 pm
Hasslecracked wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 pm
Wow. I went to the 1992 Rose Bowl. Neutral site but still amazing and is still the best college football experience I have ever had.
It was amazing to be part of the stadium wave where they wave to the Children’s hospital

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:57 pm

We're number 9!
1. Oregon (4-1/1-1)
Last week: 1
Result: DNP
Next up: vs. Cal (Friday, 7:30 p.m., ESPN)
Line: Oregon -14
Comment: The Ducks are three spots behind Ohio State in the AP poll and four behind in the Coaches poll — it’s like the head-to-head never happened. What says the CFP selection committee? The first rankings are due out Nov. 2.

2. Arizona State (5-1/3-0)
Last week: 2
Result: Beat Stanford 28-10
Next up: at Utah (7 p.m., ESPN)
Line: Arizona State -2
Comment: You say the Sun Devils just beat the team that beat Oregon; we say Ohio State. You say the Sun Devils are the most statistically dominant team in the conference; we say Ohio State. You say one game shouldn’t matter that much; we say … Ohio State.

3. UCLA (4-2/2-1)
Last week: 4
Result: Won at Arizona 34-16
Next up: at Washington (5:30 p.m., FOX)
Line: UCLA -1
Comment: The season hinges on the next three weeks as the Bruins visit Washington, host Oregon, then head to Utah. If they win at least two, the trajectory should remain positive. Anything less, and the grumbling will commence.

4. Oregon State (4-2/2-1)
Last week: 3
Result: Lost at Washington State 31-24
Next up: Idle
Line: N/A
Comment: Facts: The Beavers won at USC for the first time in 61 years and beat Washington for the first time in a decade. Fact: Oregon State has yet to defeat a team with a winning record.

5. Utah (3-2/2-0)
Last week: 7
Result: Won at USC 42-26
Next up: vs. Arizona State (7 p.m., ESPN)
Line: Utah +2
Comment: After a weekend in which Tavion Thomas pummeled USC, Devontae Booker (Giants) filled in for Saquon Barkley and Zach Moss (Bills) produced 92 yards from scrimmage, it’s pretty clear that Utah is the closest thing to Tailback U in the conference these days.

6. Stanford (3-3/2-2)
Last week: 5
Result: Lost at Arizona State 28-10
Next up: at Washington State (4:30 p.m., ESPNU)
Line: Pick
Comment: Remember when Stanford had not only the best running game but also the best run defense in the conference? Welp, it’s currently last in both. And that’s a recipe for sustained mediocrity, no matter how effective the receivers might be with jump balls in the end zone.

7. USC (3-3/2-3)
Last week: 6
Result: Lost to Utah 42-26
Next up: Idle
Line: N/A
Comment: The defense is bad, the offense is worse and Jaxson Dart needs to play as soon as he’s healthy. But at the root of all these embarrassing losses is the lack of discipline, accountability and mental and physical toughness that festered for years under Clay Helton.

Lumen
Connect. Collaborate. Grow.
Securely jump-start productivity and enhance engagement—all while minimizing costs—with collaboration voice solutions.
SPONSORED BY LUMEN
See more

8. Washington State (3-3/2-2)
Last week: 9
Result: Beat Oregon State 31-24
Next up: vs. Stanford (4:30 p.m., ESPNU)
Line: Pick
Comment: Given the stretch-run road schedule (Tempe, Eugene and Seattle), the Cougars cannot whiff on winnable home games if they hope to make the bowl math work. And this is a winnable home game.

RELATED ARTICLES
Pac-12 rewind: Utah breaks through, WSU wins again, USC’s spiral resumes, drives stall and ground games roll
My AP top-25 ballot: Georgia on top, followed by Iowa and Cincinnati (it’s chaos … glorious chaos)
Saturday Night Five: Utah gets right, squirmy situations with ASU and WSU, CFP update and showdowns loom
Hotline mailbag: Assessing Pac-12 hot seats and the coaches who might simply walk away
Pac-12 preview: Stanford back on the road to face surging ASU, first-place OSU, Jedd Fisch vs. his ex and the light schedule
9. Washington (2-3/1-1)
Last week: 8
Next up: vs. UCLA (5:30 p.m., FOX)
Line: Washington +1
Comment: National ranking in key offensive statistics: No. 88 in yards-per-play; No. 89 in passing yards-per-attempt; No. 90 in points per game; and No. 102 in rushing yards per game. So at least the Huskies are consistent.

10. Cal (1-4/0-2)
Last week: 10
Next up: at Oregon (Friday, 7:30 p.m., ESPN)
Line: Cal +14
Comment: No team has defended the Ducks better in recent years than Cal. Then again, Cal’s defense is nothing like what it was. However, the offense might have discovered it old, err, um, form.

11. Colorado (1-4/0-2)
Last week: 11
Next up: vs. Arizona (12:30 p.m., Pac-12 Networks)
Line: Colorado -6
Comment: Breaking: Colorado is no longer last in the nation in points per game, having been overtaken (undercut?) by the juggernaut that is Vanderbilt. However, the Buffaloes are still looking up at UConn and UMass, so the world isn’t completely off its axis.

12. Arizona (0-5/0-2)
Last week: 12
Result: Lost to UCLA 34-16
Next up: at Colorado (12:30 p.m., Pac-12 Networks)
Line: Arizona +6
Comment: Some might avoid watching Arizona-Colorado at all costs, for fear of being scarred for life. Here at the Hotline, we’re counting the minutes until kickoff.
dt