Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:10 am
D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:19 am
Christian Caple
@ChristianCaple
·
12m
Cohen says firing a coach after 13 games "goes against my belief as an administrator." But says when it's obvious something isn't working, she has an obligation to act. "I'm really disappointed and I'm sad to be here today in his second season. .. His hire is on me, and I own it"
Does that mean she's stepping down?
No just that she acknowledges her incompetence.
dt

D-train

Re: Lake to be fired

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:14 am
Since UW apparently really values equity and inclusion maybe the next head coach will be a cross-dressing gay transgendered transexual non-binary bi-polar person of color. I know Jen can pull this off. 👍
Think of how much it will open up the possibilities on the recruiting trail...
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:08 pm

When Lake was first hired, my understanding was that it was sort of a no-brainer. He was a great defensive coordinator and recruiter, and knew the northwest, and presumably some of the donors, and so no one was surprised that he got the job.

With that said, how critical were you all on hiring him at the time? D-Train has said that he was an affirmative action hire. Is that really true? It goes against what I've read about him and why he was hired, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Was he really as good at his Defensive Coordinator job as reported? As good at recruiting?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:13 pm

I liked the hire, but became skeptical when Kwiatkowski left, and more skeptical when all the kids entered the portal. Everyone knows I think Kwiatkowski was the better DC, but they had to appease Jimmy because he was the hot new guy. In hindsight? We should have let him go to Bama.

I think he is really good at coaching and recruiting DBs. He stinks at most everything else he has to do. And now can't even recruiters. Normally you worry about losing recruits with a mid season firing. But this class is outside the top 50 in the Nation. We may gain some just by him being gone.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:36 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:08 pm
When Lake was first hired, my understanding was that it was sort of a no-brainer. He was a great defensive coordinator and recruiter, and knew the northwest, and presumably some of the donors, and so no one was surprised that he got the job.

With that said, how critical were you all on hiring him at the time? D-Train has said that he was an affirmative action hire. Is that really true? It goes against what I've read about him and why he was hired, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Was he really as good at his Defensive Coordinator job as reported? As good at recruiting?
I did say that but that was a flippant comment. I think it was a convenient easy hire and that might have been frosting on the cake. They didn't do a national search like they will this time.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:36 pm
GL_Storm wrote:

I did say that but that was a flippant comment. I think it was a convenient easy hire and that might have been frosting on the cake. They didn't do a national search like they will this time.
Well, I wouldn't put it past the UW administration. This is Seattle and anyone in any sort of position of authority has to be running scared about not having a diverse enough workforce.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:15 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:36 pm
GL_Storm wrote:

Well, I wouldn't put it past the UW administration. This is Seattle and anyone in any sort of position of authority has to be running scared about not having a diverse enough workforce.
Did you see this. I believe in judging by the content of character not color of skin. Two wrongs don't make a right and that these well intended efforts will only perpetuate racial tensions as even well qualified minority hires will always have that cloud of doubt and the spurned white guys will resent hires they don't believe were based purely on knowledge skills and experience. It will always end badly imo.
By Brittany Ghiroli 4h ago 65
Major League Baseball has made modifications to the Selig Rule aimed at addressing internal club promotions, The Athletic has learned. The memo, sent to teams in October, was discussed as part of larger industry issues at the general managers meetings last week in Carlsbad, Calif.

The changes are effective immediately and are made to enhance diversity in future leadership of the sport. The modifications require several stipulations.

*Any club making an internal promotion for a senior baseball operations position must provide the Commissioner’s Office with a succession plan for all of the club’s senior baseball operations positions. That plan requires the club to include diverse individuals for future leadership positions.

*In the event of a non-diverse internal promotion, it’s the Commissioner’s expectation that a diverse individual will be promoted, or hired, to a vacancy created by the promotion.

*A club must provide the Commissioner’s Office with notice of the internal promotion and the rationale for not conducting an external or internal interview process.

The Rockies, for example, in promoting Bill Schmidt from interim to permanent GM, remained in compliance with the new modifications by filling his previous job with a person of color — Danny Montgomery, who was promoted to vice president and assistant GM of scouting.

The Selig Rule, created by former Commissioner Bud Selig in 1999, requires teams to consider minorities when filling vacancies for manager, general manager, assistant general manager, scouting director and minor league director. The thought process was that by forcing a more diverse picking pool, hiring numbers would improve. But from 2010-17, the number of minorities in control of a club’s baseball operations department increased only once.

In 2011, four general managers were diverse hires. Ten years later that number is still at four, with MLB clubs getting a 2021 racial hiring grade — done yearly by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES) — for president of baseball ops/GMs of a C-minus, (13.3 percent). That’s the same grade as last year.

One of those four people of color who is a president of baseball operations or GM, White Sox executive vice president Ken Williams, revealed his disappointment with the league’s lack of progress in front office diversity in a story published by The Athletic on Monday morning.

MLB teams received a B+ for racial hiring for senior administration, professional administration, and team managers, but a C+ for vice presidents, a C- for general managers and a D+ for C-suite executives, which refers to executive-level managers, such as chief financial officers, chief operating officers, and chief information officers. Chief executive officers are included in the CEO/Presidents category, where MLB teams received an F, the same grade they were given in the owners category.

For gender hiring, MLB clubs also got an F for CEO/presidents, vice presidents and C-suite employees. According to Tides, there were 86 women holding team executive vice president, senior vice president and vice president positions on MLB teams, representing just 22 percent. (That figure is up from 17.2 in 2011.) Team gender hiring in senior administration — which includes directors, managers, asst. GMs, senior managers, general counsel, legal counsel, senior advisors, and assistant VPs — was graded as C-, with women in 28.5 percent of those positions, down 0.3 from 2020.

The new additions to the Selig Rule were made to help balance internal promotions and avoid forcing clubs to interview external, diverse candidates when they’ve already selected someone for the job. Many felt those “token interviews” undercut the original spirit of the Selig Rule. By stipulating that clubs must explain internal promotions, fill diversely and provide a specific, diverse roadmap for the future, it places the onus on clubs to have a sufficient number of diverse employees in its pipeline.

Michael Hill, senior vice president of baseball operations for MLB, has recently assumed oversight of baseball operations diversity functions, including the Diversity Pipeline Program. That program, headed up by Tyrone Brooks, was created to help to identify, develop, and grow the pool of qualified minority and female candidates for on-field and baseball operations positions.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:26 pm

I had not seen that. It's chilling. The fact is, there are several reasons more minorities don't get hired to these positions in sports (and corporate America), and it's not because organizations aren't trying.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:31 pm

It was clearly rampant probably all the way through the 70s and even to some extent as recently as 15-20 years ago but I just can't fathom someone interviewing two guys today and choosing the inferior one because they are white. It just defies logic.

It may still exist regarding women for pure baseball roles though.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:41 am

GL_Storm wrote:
He wasn't a great DC and was overrated as a recruiter since he was selling a great head coach. He was a decent defensive backs coach though.
I never felt good about the hire. Here's one of my comments from early Nov 2019 when Lake was still DC...
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 pm
Hopefully Jen Cohen steps in and fires Hamdan. They should also demote Lake back to secondary coach and if he doesn't like it let him leave.