Pay to play

Michael K.

Re: Pay to play

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:18 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 pm
I fear that college football is irreparably damaged. The only appeal in the first place is school allegiance. Fans identify with their school and take pride in the fact that other students who have a similar identity are out there on behalf of the alma-mater. What is the use in committing emotional capital to players who are just as likely to walk 3 months later for whatever reason? It's no longer college athletics its just a crappy version of an independent minor league football league. I'll probably stick it out for a while for old times sake but if things keep progressing like this its not hard for me to envision a time in the not too distant future where I have no interest in college football. I am already there with basketball.
I couldn’t agree more with this! I feel exactly the same way. I used to love college basketball. Now? I watched the Zags on the Friday night of Thanksgiving because I was with some people that wanted to watch. Otherwise? I haven’t watched one game.

I loved college football and the Bowl season even more. I watched one quarter of the Cougar’s Bowl game, about half a quarter each of the semi finals and two drives of the NC game. I just don’t really care that much anymore.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:06 pm

I just looked at the 2018 Seahawks starters and there were only 5 starters on the current team but the difference is that RW, Bobby and Tyler have been on the team much longer than four years....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 pm

Five years? You are lucky to get three months out of most college basketball players. And now? Football too, since if they have a little bitch fit they can just leave.

Name a Husky that left and was even good beside Nakua and the QB we didn't want anyway? Judging by how Browning finished his career, the "progress' that Eason and Morris made, and what Huard looked like when he played? The best thing Haener did was get the fuck out of Montlake and find someone to coach him. That said, TONS of highly ranked QBs have left. Haener had a good season at Fresno. Zip zilch and nada from the rest.

Now we have hand wringing over some D Lineman and LBs leaving. Yes, I agree, our scheme under Lake was fucking stupid, but did anyone see a player in our front 5 (yes I know, everywhere else it is 7) that we can't afford to lose besides ZTF? These kids leaving just left one of the worst run defenses I have ever seen! Good riddance.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:24 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 pm
Five years? You are lucky to get three months out of most college basketball players. And now? Football too, since if they have a little bitch fit they can just leave.

Name a Husky that left and was even good beside Nakua and the QB we didn't want anyway? Judging by how Browning finished his career, the "progress' that Eason and Morris made, and what Huard looked like when he played? The best thing Haener did was get the fuck out of Montlake and find someone to coach him. That said, TONS of highly ranked QBs have left. Haener had a good season at Fresno. Zip zilch and nada from the rest.

Now we have hand wringing over some D Lineman and LBs leaving. Yes, I agree, our scheme under Lake was fucking stupid, but did anyone see a player in our front 5 (yes I know, everywhere else it is 7) that we can't afford to lose besides ZTF? These kids leaving just left one of the worst run defenses I have ever seen! Good riddance.
Four years but I get your point.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Oh, gotcha, I read it wrong. Still, an NFL player can't walk on on a contract and get paid. If these guys are going to capitalize on NIL AND be able to come and go as they please? Shit, pretty soon the NFL guys are going to be on strike because they want the NCAA model!

IMO? It is a huge mistake. I understand if the University is going to make money off them, they should get a piece....but it is used as a straight up recruiting tool. When you have the guy that has won like 7 of the last 12 National titles complaining about it upsetting the competitive balance? You see what a shit show the NCAA is, and has been for some time.

Maybe if I wasn't a fan here? I mean, who is more passive and less involved that Seattle fans? Do you think there is a Husky alum that is ready to go Phil Knight or T. Bone Pickens to boost the program? Raise money for a third jab? Maybe, but I don't see anyone in Seattle stepping up. The only NIL deal I have even read about here is Dick's Burgers sponsoring the O Line!

The girl from little Cashmere right down the road here, playing basketball at Louisville, is about to make more money in jersey sales next month than those dudes will ever get in free burgers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 pm

Wow. This makes it a bit more real.....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:06 am

Yep! And to my point...there are probably more farmers with money willing to spend on Cougars then there are people in Seattle willing to spend on Huskies!

We could be in trouble. I hope I am wrong.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:09 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:06 am
Yep! And to my point...there are probably more farmers with money willing to spend on Cougars then there are people in Seattle willing to spend on Huskies!

We could be in trouble. I hope I am wrong.
Very true.

And just think....if there is a 'diamond in the rough' that nobody recruits, but after his RS season he is a total baller......who's the high bidder.

Nobody will be safe.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:41 am

So we are now at the point where guys feel the need to have elaborate announcement stating that they are NOT transferring??? :roll:

https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1482156801546018817
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:20 pm

Was just talking about this with my cousin. These punks now can transfer any time. It’s ruined signing day cause 80% of these kids are going to be gone after year 1. I fully support college athletes getting paid, but there needs to be restrictions like that they can’t transfer til after Junior year. By the way, don’t look at our recruiting rankings. 114th nationally and 12th in the PAC