USC and UCLA plan to leave P12 as soon as 2024

Pharmabro

Re: USC and UCLA plan to leave P12 as soon as 2024

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:59 am

The Name Image, and Likeness deal is about a year old and the 2 So Cal Schools just torpedo the league. The conference of champions.

The Pac 12 had the population base to compete
#1 Cal was 40M
#13 WA 8M
#14 Arizona 8M
#20 Co 6M
#27 Or 4.4 M
#30 Utah 3.4M

Current 70M
That has huge markets #2, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 25, 26. 36, 46, 53, 55, 62, 71, 76
new ones
LV 29, 56 Hon H, 61 ABQ, 75 Boise

Not to mention they could have added in:
Boise St and another 1.8M Boise, Idaho
UNLV another major market captured in Nevada 3.3M and LV
AB Q and U NM brings in a 2.1 M state and it's biggest city on Bugs Bunny's I forgot to take a left in:
and a 16 team configuration could add in 1.5M and U of Hawaii

Those 4 would add about 9M more each add in new states and add major markets.

Musings

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:55 pm
My guess is most of the Pac would end up in the Big 12. This sucks, but is probably inevitable. It will be funny to watch UCLA struggle to finish in the middle of the Conference. I am not even sure they will finish at .500 in football in the Big 10. Does anyone think this will help USC or UCLA recruit? Wouldn't it seem more likely that Cali kids go to a Mid West school because of this, than a Mid West kid going West because of it?

I don't get the draw for them, but CERTAINLY not UCLA. UCLA hasn't been relevant in football since what, Troy Aikman? And they are going to compete against Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State, plus a USC team that has beaten them like a drum for about two decades?
It's not about competition - it's about TV revenue. The BIG 12 now has access to the LA TV market. That's all any of these moves are about - money and TV money specifically. Oregon may be the only other national draw in the PAC, but the Oregon TV numbers are weak. Seattle is a decent TV market but UW just isn't a national draw in any sport. UCLA is still considered a basketball blueblood so this move makes sense. Ohio State at UCLA will be big numbers in both sports. USC/UCLA vs any Big 12 school - on the Big 12 Net - will generate substantial numbers because of the added LA market.

This is all an inevitable move into likely 4 superconferences of 16 teams that can secede from the NCAA and basically be for-profit sports institutes by controlling the TV rights and markets. PAC 12 has been so badly managed for years that this feels inevitable. They'll probably scramble to add the likes of the Baylor's and OK State's, maybe chase Boise St, but those are scraps. No one cares about the programs and the TV markets are small. It's ALL about TV add revenue and these conferences owning all the rights.

Welcome to the new professional sports league. What is really stunning is how the PAC wasn't ahead of this and looking to expand beyond the Texas OK play 10 years ago. PAC 12 always playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess. And how far has Washington fallen? They used to be a national power - now they're invisible.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:33 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:57 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:55 pm
My guess is most of the Pac would end up in the Big 12. This sucks, but is probably inevitable. It will be funny to watch UCLA struggle to finish in the middle of the Conference. I am not even sure they will finish at .500 in football in the Big 10. Does anyone think this will help USC or UCLA recruit? Wouldn't it seem more likely that Cali kids go to a Mid West school because of this, than a Mid West kid going West because of it?

I don't get the draw for them, but CERTAINLY not UCLA. UCLA hasn't been relevant in football since what, Troy Aikman? And they are going to compete against Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State, plus a USC team that has beaten them like a drum for about two decades?
It's not about competition - it's about TV revenue. The BIG 12 now has access to the LA TV market. That's all any of these moves are about - money and TV money specifically. Oregon may be the only other national draw in the PAC, but the Oregon TV numbers are weak. Seattle is a decent TV market but UW just isn't a national draw in any sport. UCLA is still considered a basketball blueblood so this move makes sense. Ohio State at UCLA will be big numbers in both sports. USC/UCLA vs any Big 12 school - on the Big 12 Net - will generate substantial numbers because of the added LA market.

This is all an inevitable move into likely 4 superconferences of 16 teams that can secede from the NCAA and basically be for-profit sports institutes by controlling the TV rights and markets. PAC 12 has been so badly managed for years that this feels inevitable. They'll probably scramble to add the likes of the Baylor's and OK State's, maybe chase Boise St, but those are scraps. No one cares about the programs and the TV markets are small. It's ALL about TV add revenue and these conferences owning all the rights.

Welcome to the new professional sports league. What is really stunning is how the PAC wasn't ahead of this and looking to expand beyond the Texas OK play 10 years ago. PAC 12 always playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess. And how far has Washington fallen? They used to be a national power - now they're invisible.
You mean Big 10 not Big 12??
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm

Ha! yes. But technically, aren't they now the big 14? Shit is confusing - add in the real Big 12 who is now technically the BIG 10 and I cannot keep this shit straight. :lol:

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:01 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm
Ha! yes. But technically, aren't they now the big 14? Shit is confusing - add in the real Big 12 who is now technically the BIG 10 and I cannot keep this shit straight. :lol:
That's okay. Most of the players can't keep it straight either. Unless you are talking about drug sales, they can't add, subtract or multiply.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:03 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:46 pm
I think some sort of Pac 12 Big 12 mashup might be the most likely. Although the big 12 already has expansion plans which might complicate things.
How about this for a 16 team conference

Eastern Division
Kansas
Tex
Baylor
TCU
Oaklahoma
Colorado
Utah
BYU

Western Division
Washington
WSU
Toilet Seats
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas and OK are already going to the SEC. TTU/TCU/Baylor/OK State I can see being invited to the PAC. Kansas is such a liability in football but a power in BB. The problem is those markets aren't really profitable, TV wise. This is about TV markets. BYU joined the BIG 12.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:45 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm
LOL yeah, the BIG 10 which is soon to be the Big 16 is currently the Big 14 and the Pac 12 which was formally the Pac 10 and Pac 8 is about to be the Pac 10 again. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:10 pm

dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:10 pm
Well, that's rather non-committal.

Basically, saying that we are currently here.....for now.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:03 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:25 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:10 pm
Well, that's rather non-committal.

Basically, saying that we are currently here.....for now.
I work with a lot of smart women but just seems two women deciding the fate of the Husky FOOTBALL program seems odd.
dt