Super conference idea

D-train

Super conference idea

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:20 pm

Just merge the Pac 10 and the big 12. Two divisions. A western division consisting of the Pac 10 teams and an eastern division consisting of the Big 12 teams.

One division would be called the Pac West and the other would be called the Big East division. Winner of each Division would play in a Conference Championship game. You would play 6 games in your division and three in the other division and three non con games so only 2 longer road trips a season. Conference champ would get a guaranteed spot in the Nat. Champ playoff.
dt

57reasons

Re: Super conference idea

Post by 57reasons » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:00 am

well as a pac 12 (soon to be Pac 10) fan, sure i would love that. but somehow i just dont see the Big 10 salivating over those megamarkets in Pullman and Corvallis.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:58 pm

57reasons wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:00 am
well as a pac 12 (soon to be Pac 10) fan, sure i would love that. but somehow i just dont see the Big 10 salivating over those megamarkets in Pullman and Corvallis.
Big 12. Sure drop those to and the B12 could drop their least attractive schools and have a 16 team conference.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:49 pm

There is a small problem with the "Big10" Conference. A brewing war with ESPN.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/10/b ... s-division

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:36 am

ddraig wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:49 pm

I believe the SEC just dumped CBS sports - will now have games on ESPN. ESPN is ramping up thier college football schedule, big time. I think the network overall has been really hurting, but getting the SEC is big. This is what all this realignment is about - the TV money. I would imagine super conferences like the SEC and BIG 10 will succeed from the NCAA altogether in the very near future. NCAA serves no purpose anymore. I was kinda hoping FOX would find a way to take over the PAC-12 Net , but now I'm not sure that would make much difference... for FOX. Maybe fold it into FOX Sport West. PAC 12 is just such a mismanaged dumpster fire. How they could fuck up the PAC-12 network is just perfect for this Dumb and Dumber conference. I'll be surprised if UW and Oregon aren't moving to the BIG 10.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:19 am

auroraave wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:36 am
ddraig wrote:

I believe the SEC just dumped CBS sports - will now have games on ESPN. ESPN is ramping up thier college football schedule, big time. I think the network overall has been really hurting, but getting the SEC is big. This is what all this realignment is about - the TV money. I would imagine super conferences like the SEC and BIG 10 will succeed from the NCAA altogether in the very near future. NCAA serves no purpose anymore. I was kinda hoping FOX would find a way to take over the PAC-12 Net , but now I'm not sure that would make much difference... for FOX. Maybe fold it into FOX Sport West. PAC 12 is just such a mismanaged dumpster fire. How they could fuck up the PAC-12 network is just perfect for this Dumb and Dumber conference. I'll be surprised if UW and Oregon aren't moving to the BIG 10.
they have to be invited first. Both schools rang them up immediately once word got out about the LA, and basically saw their turned up noses. in fact i heard their next two targets (have to think they add in pairs) are more likely to be Notre Dame and Stanford.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:02 pm

The only way Stanford makes sense is if Notre Dame requires it due to their long standing "Rivalry".

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:58 pm
57reasons wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:00 am
Big 12. Sure drop those to and the B12 could drop their least attractive schools and have a 16 team conference.
Yeah. I could see something like this

UW
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
ASU
Utah
BYU

Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
OK State
Kansas
K State
Colorado

We would be tossing out WSU and OSU and they would be getting rid of Iowa State as well keeping out CFU and Cincinatti who are supposed to be joing them. You could also swap out Iowa State or Cincinatti for K State I am not sure which of those schools is more attractive. 6 division games means you skip 1 division team a year. 3 cross division games. We could still keep the Apple cup and civil war and use them as cupcake games at the end of the year and that would leave you 2 more non conference games on your schedule.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:55 pm

57reasons wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:19 am
auroraave wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:36 am
ddraig wrote:

they have to be invited first. Both schools rang them up immediately once word got out about the LA, and basically saw their turned up noses. in fact i heard their next two targets (have to think they add in pairs) are more likely to be Notre Dame and Stanford.
I don't see Stanford in the mix - they are not a national draw, but even worse - they are a small tv market. Cal is at least in the SF market, and Stanford is just outside that. You'd have to take Cal and Stanford to get that market - but I'd be surprised if they did. with UW and OU you are getting a more substantial sports market between big Seattle and the smaller Portland area - but you are getting schools with national visibility and are competitive. This is about tv money and markets. I love stanford, been to many game there (and berkeley!), but that would be a tough sell in the BIG 10 market IMO. Notre Dame is a no brainer. The problem with them joining a conference used to be thier TV deal with NBC prevented it - not sure where that deal stands right now.

When people are drawing up these conference realignment ideas - you have to keep in mind this is about the TV markets and access to those viewers because the larger the viewership - the higher the ad rates. That's what this is about.