Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:30 pm

But I do have an open mind about our new coach....but don't expect much.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:51 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:29 pm
I can't disagree with anything you said.

But keep in mind, it was me that was trying to temper the people that believed he was the 2nd coming of Don James. I never believed that. I never believed he could withstand the rigors of a Power 5 schedule for years on end.
I was right.

CP was a good coach, but not nearly as good as so many of the people on this board predicted.

My main issues with CP:
He was frail, couldn't stand the rigors of a Pac12 schedule.
Made plenty of bone-headed mistakes that may have worked in the MW, but not the P12.
His whole OKG philosophy, was corny.
Hired J. Smith when J. Smith had basically ZERO experience.
Never took blame for his mistakes....never, ever......never did. Always make excuses.

But yeah, always being in contention for the division title, a good thing.
Seriously.
I was hard on Pete about a lot of those things, it hard to fault his recruiting. That seemed to be a big beef of a lot of guys, could he recruit here. It had been some time since ai liked our offense. Slick Rick and Sark were too in love with the pass and Pete became too conservative. I like what I have seen from the offenses this guy has run. Do I expect PAC 12 or 10 titles? Not right away, but I think we will be back in the running soon enough. It took, what, four games of us watching Lake’s offense with Morris under Center to wonder if we would even be .500?

I think a Pete did what he thought was right when he stepped down, but who’s to say he wouldn’t have regained his desire to coach? He left because we were going to lose Lake. In hindsight I wish we had. Should have kept Kwiatkowski all along, let Lake be poison somewhere else.

Pete is the second best coach to ever be here. To chastise him for not being #1, and to write off the next guy because of similar backgrounds? Strange.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:44 pm

2nd best coach?
No

I'd certainly put him in the top 5, but not top 2.

Jim Owens - Won a national championship in 1960.
Gil Dobie - .975 win percentage (in 61 games)
Rick Neuheisel - He was sleazy, but a good coach (to top out the top 5, not necessarily better)

As far as I'm concerned:
#1 Don James
#2 through #5 The rest above.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:04 pm

I think we can all admit that when we talk about this program, most of us didn't watch a game before James. And seriously? Slick Rick? Again, he won with Lambright's guys!

He coached for four years, won ten or more games only once and after Lambright's guys were mostly gone? He went 15 and 10 in his last two seasons. Oh, and the only Bowl game he was was in his one real good year. He finished 19th once and 3rd once.

CP coached for six seasons, won ten games in half of those seasons, and "struggled" in his last two to the tune of 18 and 9. So, his collapse was better than Rick too. He finished in the top 15 three times with a #4. His Bowl record was a disappointment, but still better than Rick's. Like you, I have several complaints for some of his decisions with Assistant Coaches. BUT, he didn't lie about interviewing for other jobs, he didn't get involved in a freaking gambling scandal that left us high and dry, and he actually exited like a man, doing what sure seemed to be the right thing...at the time.

I don't know how there is anyone alive that could watch CP and Slick Rick coach and think, "yep, give me Slick". You're nuts dude.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:04 pm
I think we can all admit that when we talk about this program, most of us didn't watch a game before James. And seriously? Slick Rick? Again, he won with Lambright's guys!

He coached for four years, won ten or more games only once and after Lambright's guys were mostly gone? He went 15 and 10 in his last two seasons. Oh, and the only Bowl game he was was in his one real good year. He finished 19th once and 3rd once.

CP coached for six seasons, won ten games in half of those seasons, and "struggled" in his last two to the tune of 18 and 9. So, his collapse was better than Rick too. He finished in the top 15 three times with a #4. His Bowl record was a disappointment, but still better than Rick's. Like you, I have several complaints for some of his decisions with Assistant Coaches. BUT, he didn't lie about interviewing for other jobs, he didn't get involved in a freaking gambling scandal that left us high and dry, and he actually exited like a man, doing what sure seemed to be the right thing...at the time.

I don't know how there is anyone alive that could watch CP and Slick Rick coach and think, "yep, give me Slick". You're nuts dude.
Maybe so. But Slick Rick could create an offensive that could score.

As for recruiting, there were plenty of [extremely high] recruits in our state (Washington) that CP didn't land.
-It was a shame-

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:57 am

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 am

As for recruiting, there were plenty of [extremely high] recruits in our state (Washington) that CP didn't land.
-It was a shame-
I laugh every time this is mentioned. Take a good hard look at the "studs" to come out of this State, specifically the ones that left. Name the one that lived up to the hype. Buddah, yep, was a Husky. But we have had a ton of QBs with a lot of hype, and if Huard keeps on the path he is on, he will join Max Browne, Jake Heeps and the Millen kid as just another that was beating up on over matched poor talent in State and rated too high.

Boo hoo, we lost out on in State kids, that are mediocre. They look good because they play here. Every year this place goes nuts about the next stud to leave the State, and every year it's Gee Scott or some other kid that really doesn't amount to much.

Obviously there have been kids in State that have done good things, but NOTHING compared to the fricking hand wringing by Husky fans every time one "gets away".

Man, I think I am about as pessimistic as it comes, but I don't know that you will ever enjoy another Husky season. Because if you think it's about to be the early 90s again you are going to be disappointed.

Under CP we finally beat Oregon.
We went to a Final 4.
We went to the Orange Bowl.
We had three straight ten win seasons.

I find it hard to believe any Husky fan that was alive for the years after Lambright can find fault in that. Again, I was critical, but because I think if he coached the way he did at Boise we would have beaten Oregon four times in a row, beaten Auburn, beaten Ohio State in the Orange Bowl, and I think he wouldn't have lost the fire to coach. He burned himself out, IMO, by coaching scared instead of doing what he does best.

But to say he is less if a coach that Slick Rick? To act as though anyone not Don James just doesn't cut it? I am eager for the days that Saban leaves Bama. Believe it or not, Bama was pretty average between Bryant and Saban. Coaches like that don't grow on trees, and add in the other disadvantages we have geographically, and certainly now with a Shitty Conference? The next Glory Days might be 8 and 4 and winning Apple Cups and occasionally beating Oregon.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:36 pm
Feels like it was the right choice? :lol:
dt