Breaking: Penix named starting QB

D-train

Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:36 pm

dt

Michael K.

Re: Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:20 pm

Really didn't think there was any other option, when he is healthy. Will be interesting to see the Depth Chart. If Morris is third, does he look to transfer? Hell, if Huard is third, does he look to transfer?

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:10 pm

Big shot recruit can't even crack the starting lineup in his 3rd season with the program. :(

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:47 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:10 pm
Big shot recruit can't even crack the starting lineup in his 3rd season with the program. :(
Is it his third season and he is still just a Redshirt Freshman? Either way, I thought about that myself. It is curious, though I really think non of these QBs got any coaching. Lake's offensive staff was a dumpster fire. When the OC has never been an OC and your Head Coach wears a Run the Damn Ball hat to his first Press Conference? You have to wonder how advanced your passing game is going to be. We played Montana, who had 9 and 10 defenders in the box, and these idiots decided that double TE dive plays were the way to attack.

That said, name the last highly rated State of Washington recruit that lived up to the Hype? Sam's uncle? And even Brock suffered through injuries and finished his career getting his ass kicked by a drunken pill popper from Pullman.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:08 am

By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
Washington coach Kalen DeBoer on Tuesday described a quarterback battle that was won by Michael Penix Jr., not lost by the two odd men out, Dylan Morris and Sam Huard. In fact, DeBoer stressed that Husky fans should throw out any preconceived notions they have of Morris and Huard, because they are completely different quarterbacks now, vastly improved.

Hold that thought, because the stark reality is that either of those two still may be called upon this season, given Penix’s injury history.

Yet the crowning of Penix, conveyed to the vying QBs on Monday and to the media Tuesday, should just add to the excitement building for the start of the Husky season in 10 days against Kent State. It was the expected result from the day Penix announced via Instagram on Dec. 14 that he was transferring to Washington after four seasons at Indiana. But his official ascension to the starting job gives their fans something tangible to dream on after last year’s 4-8 all-around debacle.

UW Huskies name junior Indiana transfer Michael Penix Jr. starting quarterback
There’s always a sense of anticipation for a new season, of course, and that’s multiplied when accompanied by a new coaching staff. DeBoer has been impressive in helping the Huskies move past the disarray left over from Jimmy Lake’s late-season ouster.

Yet DeBoer’s mark will be made, as with all coaches, by the results on the field. Now in Penix, the Huskies have a quarterback who has shown that when healthy he can play at the highest level against the most elite competition.

Furthermore, Penix has specifically thrived under DeBoer, who has been something of a quarterback whisperer in his career. In 2019, when DeBoer was offensive coordinator at Indiana, the Hoosiers produced the No. 3 offense in the Big Ten, and Penix, before suffering a sternoclavicular joint injury, dazzled with a school-record 68.8 completion percentage in six games, which yielded 1,394 passing yards, 10 touchdowns and just four interceptions.

It’s no secret that the Huskies’ offense the past two seasons was stymied by the unimaginative play-calling of offensive coordinator John Donovan. One gets the distinct feeling that Morris, designated by DeBoer as the No. 2 quarterback, has far more to offer than what he put forth under the old regime. That goes as well for Huard, who had four interceptions in his lone Husky start in the Apple Cup but was described by DeBoer as having made a “hard charge” for the starting job.

Penix, though, is the one who gives the Huskies the best chance to soar. Anyone who can put up 491 passing yards and five touchdowns against an Ohio State team in 2020 that was third-ranked when they played and made it all the way to the NCAA title game is clearly oozing with upside.

From the outside, it looked like the Huskies offense in 2021 was less than the sum of its parts. Their highly touted offensive line never coalesced. They seemingly had a slew of dynamic skill-position players who never made the impact that their tools indicated was possible.

Under new offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb, the Huskies will have a more aggressive, big-strike attack, one that should be more adeptly schemed up and adaptable than that of the past two years. Asked how good the Husky offense could be in 2022, Penix replied, “I feel like we’re going to make a lot of special things happen here.”

To hear DeBoer and Grubb talk Tuesday, the junior Penix, 6 foot 3 and 213 pounds, has all the tools to fulfill that goal. They raved about his leadership, knowledge of the offense, decision-making, arm talent and toughness. The fact that DeBoer has seen it all in the heat of action in the Big Ten no doubt was a huge factor in weighing the competition in his favor (though the coach insisted that his showing in Husky camp was the clincher).

“He’s taking care of the football; that’s how I know him,” DeBoer said. “I know there’s been a season where he had a few more interceptions and stuff, but I know him as a guy that takes extremely good care of the football. That’s what he did for me. And that’s what he’s done ever since he’s been here this spring and in the fall.”

Penix walked into a situation where, as a transfer, he had to forge relationships with new teammates who already had them established, and prove to them he was a player to rally around. Penix set to work immediately after arriving on campus to do just that.

“I had to come out here and work to get the trust of this team, being a new guy here coming in January,” he said. “So just countless hours, being with these guys, and for the coaches to trust me to be in that position I feel I feel very blessed. It was a long process, and I feel like it was a lot of sweat, blood and tears I put into it.”

DeBoer said he didn’t necessarily want any applause for Penix when he informed the team Tuesday of the outcome of the quarterback battle. He would prefer everyone remained focused on their own jobs rather than obsessing over who’s going to be leading the huddle. But it would stand to reason that it was both a mental relief and galvanizing event for Penix to be officially anointed.

“I think they’re all super-confident in Michael and his ability and what he’s done all camp,” DeBoer said. “And he came out here today — and whether it’s added pressure because now he’s that guy or less pressure because now that competition is behind him and it’s about playing ball and getting ready to beat Kent State — he came out and performed extremely well [in Tuesday’s practice]. That was just an added bonus for the confidence level of everyone.”

Call it the Penix Effect — and now we’ll see if it has staying power.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:05 pm

Nice variety of throws. Kid has a good arm and obviously mobile. Game starts at 10:30pm EDT so I am going to record it and not check the score and watch my first morning football game in almost 3 YEARS next Sunday morning. Can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9xUm7-2YCQ
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:47 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:10 pm
Is it his third season and he is still just a Redshirt Freshman? Either way, I thought about that myself. It is curious, though I really think non of these QBs got any coaching. Lake's offensive staff was a dumpster fire. When the OC has never been an OC and your Head Coach wears a Run the Damn Ball hat to his first Press Conference? You have to wonder how advanced your passing game is going to be. We played Montana, who had 9 and 10 defenders in the box, and these idiots decided that double TE dive plays were the way to attack.

That said, name the last highly rated State of Washington recruit that lived up to the Hype? Sam's uncle? And even Brock suffered through injuries and finished his career getting his ass kicked by a drunken pill popper from Pullman.
I'll argue with you on this for ever.
Our guys (o-line) are bigger, faster and stronger than the Montana defense. There is no reason we shouldn't have been able to "dive and trap" our way down the field....basically 4 yards and a cloud of dust EVERY PLAY.
We knew the snap count.
We were bigger.
We were stronger.
We were faster.

We just needed to overpower them.....and we didn't. WE didn't have the killer instinct and we were soft.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:10 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm

We just needed to overpower them.....and we didn't. WE didn't have the killer instinct and we were soft.
Name a time all year they over powered anyone? They blamed a lack of talent at WR, then we had guys making plays against Pac 12 defenders. I don't give a shit who your five O Lineman are, you aren't running against a ten man box! Fuck man.

It was a joke. NOBODY with a competent QB looks at 9 and 10 in the box and says "yep, let's line um up and run at um!" Only the fucking dolts coaching offense at Washington last year. They were basically in a goal line defense on first down from our twenty, and we fucking ran it anyway. Ludicrous.

By your logic, our five O Lineman going against D 2 talent, should be able to beat 8 or 9 or even 10 defenders, but our fucking D 1 WRs can't beat one on one and our QB isn't smart enough or have the arm talent to check out of the play and beat them one on one? How in the Hell does that make sense. How many other teams do you see in a tie game run a dive play against an 8 or 9 man box? NOBODY. It was fucking Pop Warner shit. They were so basic they had no idea what to do.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:19 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:10 pm
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm

Name a time all year they over powered anyone? They blamed a lack of talent at WR, then we had guys making plays against Pac 12 defenders. I don't give a shit who your five O Lineman are, you aren't running against a ten man box! Fuck man.

It was a joke. NOBODY with a competent QB looks at 9 and 10 in the box and says "yep, let's line um up and run at um!" Only the fucking dolts coaching offense at Washington last year. They were basically in a goal line defense on first down from our twenty, and we fucking ran it anyway. Ludicrous.

By your logic, our five O Lineman going against D 2 talent, should be able to beat 8 or 9 or even 10 defenders, but our fucking D 1 WRs can't beat one on one and our QB isn't smart enough or have the arm talent to check out of the play and beat them one on one? How in the Hell does that make sense. How many other teams do you see in a tie game run a dive play against an 8 or 9 man box? NOBODY. It was fucking Pop Warner shit. They were so basic they had no idea what to do.
I think you need to settle down. :lol: :lol:

First of all, Montana NEVER had 10 in the box!!!! PERIOD. Maybe you need to watch the game again. No defense in the world would have 10 in the box if the offense has 2 receivers wide out.

Did they have 7-8 in the box? Yes, but that's a far cry from 9-10.

I cannot dispute your EMOTIONAL output about our offensive game plans or offensive coaches. That is pretty spot on.....they sucked!

But there is no way with the talent we had (compared to Montana's), that we couldn't have put in a double TE set and crammed the ball down the middle of the field. If you don't believe this, then you are too jaded to accept that. The O-line talent, size, strength & quickness on this team compared to Montana's shouldn't have been an issue.

Dive left on 3
Trap left on 1
Dive right on 2
Dive right on 3
Dive right on set
etc...

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:36 pm

Watch the game yourself. There were times when all 11 defenders were easily viewed on the screen. We ran such a tight offensive formation that the Corners were barely outside the LBs. Many times we went doubt TE, one wide out wide, the other in close. My buddy and I stopped the game many times to count the defenders near the ball, it was a shit ton, all game long. One on one coverage with zero safety help outside, and our QB and coach were too scared to exploit it. I would venture to guess that over 80% of the time Montana played their Safeties down near the LBs. DARING us to throw.

They had ZERO fear of our passing game. A fucking D 2 team, had ZERO fear of the passing game, and we proved them right. You don't slam your head against that brick wall all game long and continue to give them confidence. Sorry, it isn't how the game is played. They are taking away your run game, so our coaches decided just to keep trying. It was pig headed and stupid at best, and scared at worst. They thought it would get worse than just losing if they threw the ball around the yard. That is real bad.