Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Michael K.

Re: Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Post by Michael K. » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:37 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:19 pm

But there is no way with the talent we had (compared to Montana's), that we couldn't have put in a double TE set and crammed the ball down the middle of the field. If you don't believe this, then you are too jaded to accept that. The O-line talent, size, strength & quickness on this team compared to Montana's shouldn't have been an issue.

You are freaking making my point man. Why wouldn't the talent we have at QB and WR be the same compared to Montana? It either was superior, and our coaches are idiots, or it wasn't superior and our coaches are idiots for starting Morris and they can't recruit. Either way, it's bad.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:55 pm

Why do I feel like you are still yelling at me?

I totally agree that our coaches were shit the last two years. Could only recruit and coach defensive backs. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we would have won the game, even if Montana DID have 10 in the box, by running up the middle...just by imposing our will, size, strength and speed on them. We should have blown them 2-3 yards back at every snap, then let the running back "ram-rod" the ball another two yards.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 pm

Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:55 pm
But that doesn't take away from the fact that we would have won the game, even if Montana DID have 10 in the box, by running up the middle...just by imposing our will, size, strength and speed on them.
You are wrong, because that is what we tried to do, and didn't win. It really baffles me that anyone thinks that just because we play in the Pac 12, we can go 7 on 9 and win. You are basically defending the idiot coaches who thought the same thing. Even if that was our thought going in, as it failed repeatedly, we can't adjust? It was like watching the Seahawks play the Giants with two safeties twenty yards off the ball and Russ still chucking it deep. ADJUST.

That staff was incapable. Sorry, we were not good enough to take a tight formation and run straight at a loaded box. The entire reason QBs read defenses is to get OUT of plays like that. Our QB couldn't read a defense, or he had no faith that he could throw to a WR in one on one coverage all alone on an island, or his coaches didn't have faith in him or they are too stupid to realize that doing the same thing against the same defense and seeing it not work is cause for an adjustment. Either way? That is on the coaches. That QB should not have been the starter if we thought our best chance to win was to run dive play after dive play against a loaded box. They didn't even get creative with formation or play call. Shit, spread them out, see what happens. Give the RB a shot. Nope, we go 7 on 9 and wonder why one of those two unblocked defenders is causing a problem. Because he is fucking unblocked, that's why!

Stop this bullshit that we are the big bad Huskies. This isn't 1991, that was a dogshit scheme, and we lost to a D 2 team because of it. The entire season derailed right there. All because a bunch of arrogant grown ass men thought the way you do. We are the big bad Huskies. We will just over power them. It worked, for one drive. Then, guess what? Montana adjusted. What a novel fucking concept.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:32 pm

You are wrong.

Our Dawgs attempted 46 passes and only 27 rushes.

That does not support your theory that we TRIED to cram the ball down their throat.

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/s ... core/19734

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 pm

WASH - Passing
Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD Int. Long Sack
Morris, Dylan 27 46 226 0 3 25 3
TOTALS 27 46 226 0 3 25 3

WASH - Rushing
Player Att. Gain Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.
Newton, Richard 17 69 7 62 0 13 3.6
Jackson, Giles 2 19 0 19 0 12 9.5
Davis, Cameron 4 8 0 8 0 4 2.0
Morris, Dylan 4 1 25 -24 1 1 -6.0
TOTALS 27 97 32 65 1 13 2.4

Morris basically had a 58% pass percentage with 3 picks

Newton averaged 3.6 yards a carry

46 pass plays verses 27 rushes is not, and I will say it again, cramming the ball down the middle.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:34 pm

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:32 pm
You are wrong.

Our Dawgs attempted 46 passes and only 27 rushes.

That does not support your theory that we TRIED to cram the ball down their throat.

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/s ... core/19734
Less than two yards per carry, yet ran it 27 times. Did you watch the game, or just read the box score. One, by the time they stopped running dive plays, the momentum was all Montana. Two, they couldn’t or wouldn’t stretch the field. 27 completions and 226 yards? Trust me, I watched every minute of that game, and had they taken shots early? It would have been over by half. Had a competent QB played? It would have been over by half.

They spent the entire first half running dive plays, and then when they did pass it was sideways.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:46 pm

I did watch the game and was frustrated every minute...after the DAWGS first drive.

I realize you are acting out because you want to prove a point that isn't there.
"10 in the box" ------- Wrong
"Tried to cram it down their throat" ------- Wrong

Now you are just being obtuse because you have been proven wrong.

If they would have run the ball more:
1. NO 4 SACKS IN THE STAT LINE; they would have had a 3.6 rush per carry.
2. NOT AS MANY PASSES; no 3 picks.

The conclusion, they didn't need to throw the ball to beat Montana. Morris and the coaches lost this game because of bad play, bad play calls and bad passes [PERIOD].

But you keep believing that they lost the game because they rushed the ball too much.
And please keep believing that they lost this game because they had 9-10 men in the box the entire game.

If my memory serves me correctly, you have been a football coach. I have also enjoyed your take on most games. But this game you have a very 'odd' take on.

GO DAWGS!!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:30 pm

Fine, they had 8 or 9 in the box and spent the entire first half running dive plays. Never once did they spread the field, never once did they throw down field, never once did the QB check out of a heavy box to get to a better play. They marched down the field to score
, and got out coached every minute after.

The picks came mostly in desperation time. Again, if at any time in the first or second quarter they had stopped running simple dive plays against a defense stacked to stop just that? It’s no different than them bitching about the lack of run defense when they play a five and six man box! They aren’t good enough to just say, we are playing Dime packages and you still can’t run it. Why? No Vita, no Gaines and no Shelton. This staff wasn’t good enough to coach to the strengths they had. In college that should be a terrible offense, since you are also tasked with assembling the talent.

Fine, maybe Montana didn’t run 10 men in the box. But there were MANY times they had every defender within 8 or so yards….and we still not only ran, but ran a dive. It was the worst thing I have witnesses. I have coached Pop Warner teams that had a more advanced offense. We acted like they were just gonna quite. We gave them hope by playing extremely basic, and that was all a team with nothing to lose needed. You mentioned the stats. I bet our average second down play was second and 9. We did NOTHING on first down because somehow we thought the shit that wasn’t working would just magically start working.

You can harp on the O Line all you want. They had more to block than we had blockers. If the coaching staff had a clue we would have immediately spread the field and forced them to do the same. Nope, we added lineman and TEs so we could run right at a loaded front again. Then, when we did throw it, it was sideways. I seem to remember Cade Otten hardly being used also. That was the first time that season I heard an announcer say “the Husky staff told us they don’t scheme to get Cade the ball”. As if they should be proud that they don’t try to get one of their best players the ball.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:30 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:30 pm
Fine, they had 8 or 9 in the box and spent the entire first half running dive plays. Never once did they spread the field, never once did they throw down field, never once did the QB check out of a heavy box to get to a better play. They marched down the field to score
, and got out coached every minute after.

By looking at the play by play chart, they threw the ball 9 times in the first quarter.
And 15 times in the 2nd quarter.

The picks came mostly in desperation time. Again, if at any time in the first or second quarter they had stopped running simple dive plays against a defense stacked to stop just that? It’s no different than them bitching about the lack of run defense when they play a five and six man box! They aren’t good enough to just say, we are playing Dime packages and you still can’t run it. Why? No Vita, no Gaines and no Shelton. This staff wasn’t good enough to coach to the strengths they had. In college that should be a terrible offense, since you are also tasked with assembling the talent.

There were also 3 interception one in the 2nd, one in the 3rd and one in the 4th.
NOT ALL IN DESPERATION TIME

Fine, maybe Montana didn’t run 10 men in the box. But there were MANY times they had every defender within 8 or so yards….and we still not only ran, but ran a dive. It was the worst thing I have witnesses. I have coached Pop Warner teams that had a more advanced offense. We acted like they were just gonna quite. We gave them hope by playing extremely basic, and that was all a team with nothing to lose needed. You mentioned the stats. I bet our average second down play was second and 9. We did NOTHING on first down because somehow we thought the shit that wasn’t working would just magically start working.

You can harp on the O Line all you want. They had more to block than we had blockers. If the coaching staff had a clue we would have immediately spread the field and forced them to do the same. Nope, we added lineman and TEs so we could run right at a loaded front again. Then, when we did throw it, it was sideways. I seem to remember Cade Otten hardly being used also. That was the first time that season I heard an announcer say “the Husky staff told us they don’t scheme to get Cade the ball”. As if they should be proud that they don’t try to get one of their best players the ball.
Maybe you need to watch the game again....or at least review the play chart in that link I posted above.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:47 pm

The Morris is worse than I remember. Maybe the majority of my frustration was on first and second down, when we just refused to check out of a dive play into a brick wall.