Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: Breaking: Penix named starting QB

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:47 pm
The Morris is worse than I remember. Maybe the majority of my frustration was on first and second down, when we just refused to check out of a dive play into a brick wall.
We have found common ground.
:D

That game was so bad, I was getting worked up looking at the play by play.

I also fully understand and have lived your outrage at that game, the Jimmy Lake Era, and the bullshit of last year. I don't know if this year will be any better, but it cannot be any worse that last.....well at the very least, we can say it's because of the new system.
:lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:54 pm

I think it will be a lot better.

Our last coach had just gotten the #1 pocket passer in the Nation, a stable of great WRs, and showed up to his first press Conference to announce the WORST OC in Conference History, wearing a Run the Damn Ball hat. Somehow they went 3 and 1 before COVID ended their season, but the writing was on the wall. The MASS exodus of skill positioned offensive players and members of the Front 7 should have told us enough.

Our new guy? Set the world on fire with Jake Haener!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:56 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:10 pm
Big shot recruit can't even crack the starting lineup in his 3rd season with the program. :(
So, this doesn't add up to me. Huard played in the COVID HS season....so Spring of 2020 he was playing HS football. He left early, but only to enroll early for some of spring practice. I guess if you want to say that showing up in the middle of Spring practice is a season, then yeah, THIS is his third season. But, really?

He's a Red Shirt Freshman, is it the end of the world if he is the #2?

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:54 pm
I think it will be a lot better.

Our last coach had just gotten the #1 pocket passer in the Nation, a stable of great WRs, and showed up to his first press Conference to announce the WORST OC in Conference History, wearing a Run the Damn Ball hat. Somehow they went 3 and 1 before COVID ended their season, but the writing was on the wall. The MASS exodus of skill positioned offensive players and members of the Front 7 should have told us enough.

Our new guy? Set the world on fire with Jake Haener!
Although true, keep in mind he set the world on fire in the Mountain West. A lot of pedestrian quarterbacks can do that.
I will remain skeptical until I see results.

Go Dawgs!!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:18 pm

They scored 24 on Oregon. Scored 40 and beat UCLA and beat a ranked SD State with 30 points. He has had success everywhere. I read a lot of shit in here about how Chris Petersen had only done it in a weak Conference too.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:18 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:18 pm
They scored 24 on Oregon. Scored 40 and beat UCLA and beat a ranked SD State with 30 points. He has had success everywhere. I read a lot of shit in here about how Chris Petersen had only done it in a weak Conference too.
Yeah, I have always been posting it.
And still stand behind it.

When you only have to game-plan for 3-4 games a year, you can make those kind of runs. Just think what the Cougars could do in the MW. They would continually be in bowl games, and not just mid-level bowl games, decent bowl games. Why, because I believe with their recruits they would be a 9-10 win team every year.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:47 pm

Yeah, based on all of our successes with Neiheisel, Sark and Lake, I can see why you would discredit what Pete did while here. Smh

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:47 pm
Yeah, based on all of our successes with Neiheisel, Sark and Lake, I can see why you would discredit what Pete did while here. Smh
Not discrediting what CP did. I was just trying to keep everyone down to earth with what he would most likely accomplish.
He didn't average 10 wins a season.
He didn't keep us in the top 10 ever year.
He made plenty of mistakes......like blaming the charts.
He hired Jonathan Smith.

PETE WAS NOT THE 2ND COMMING OF DON JAMES, as so many on these boards were posting.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:34 pm

There will be no more Don James. First, no one comes out West, and it is only going to get worse. 2nd, we now have scholarship limits and basically college free agency. You ain’t seeing Brunell and Hobert on the same team ever again.

Sark was a “proven assistant”, so was Lake. Slick Rick was a proven Head Coach from a Power 5 school. Rick took Lambrights guys and won, then nothing, Seven Sarkisian was slightly above average and Lake was an utter disaster.

This guy runs an innovative offense, and in the last two years beat both LA schools and hung with Oregon. With Jake fucking Haener at QB. I could see it if guys were in here saying we are back and headed to the Final 4, but your pessimism is odd. Like I said, you said the same about Chris Petersen. With Pete? We were bitching when we didn’t win the Conference. Pretty good problem to have.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:29 pm

I can't disagree with anything you said.

But keep in mind, it was me that was trying to temper the people that believed he was the 2nd coming of Don James. I never believed that. I never believed he could withstand the rigors of a Power 5 schedule for years on end.
I was right.

CP was a good coach, but not nearly as good as so many of the people on this board predicted.

My main issues with CP:
He was frail, couldn't stand the rigors of a Pac12 schedule.
Made plenty of bone-headed mistakes that may have worked in the MW, but not the P12.
His whole OKG philosophy, was corny.
Hired J. Smith when J. Smith had basically ZERO experience.
Never took blame for his mistakes....never, ever......never did. Always make excuses.

But yeah, always being in contention for the division title, a good thing.
Seriously.