Supermen vs. Clark Kent State Game thread

Captain 97

Re: Supermen vs. Clark Kent State Game thread

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:27 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Kent States defensive was complete shit but that offense will rack up a lot of yards just like they did last season when they were 5th in the country in Yards per game...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e/dir/desc
They racked up a lot of yards last year because they had a stud senior at QB. This years guy is not at that level.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:35 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Kent States defensive was complete shit but that offense will rack up a lot of yards just like they did last season when they were 5th in the country in Yards per game...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e/dir/desc
And who did they replace between this year and last year. I seem to remember someone talking about replacing the QB and 4 on the O-line. Now that isn't saying that they didn't replace them with players that had a decent amount of experience, but they we not starters.
So we are back to not having a good read because of all the replacements.

And their defense was close to last in the FCS last season. But they did hire a new D-Coordinator.
So we are back to not having a good read because of the new D.C. and scheme.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:38 pm

But I'd like to also point out that Morris was still the shittiest QB on the field.
:lol: :lol:

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:45 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:07 pm
1. That we can’t tell much against Kent State.
2. That the run defense wasn’t good. Their leading rusher was the QB, and mostly on scramble plays. Our edge guys will do a better job of getting the QB down.
3. That one guy getting beat deep is an issue. We are playing aggressive. I’d much rather see that then the soft bullshit we played last year.
The QB was the leading rusher because they spread out the carries. 2 guys with 11 caries and one guy with 9. They ran the ball for 9 first downs and scored a touchdown on the ground in a goal line situation. At one point they ran for 17 yards on a 3rd and 15. Overall They had 3.8 yards a carry. That would be decent defense against a power 5 school with an evenly matched offensive line but against a MAC team I'd like to see the d-line and line backers stuff the run a little better. If our D-line is getting pushed around in short yardage situations against a team like Kent State they are going to have issues with better competition.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:16 pm

I'd like to see it too. BUT, you just mentioned that they hit us with a 17 yard gain on third and long. Do I want that to happen? No, but they had a surprise play that netted 17 yards and still averaged under 4 per carry, with the leading rusher being the QB, and non of those on designed runs. I would say simply watching this team in comparison to the last two, there is nothing to tell me we will suck against the run the way we have. We might not dominate, but if you can score points?

We gave up 20 points to a pretty good offense that was playing desperate and from behind all game. I have a hard time being to upset about that. Shit, they were running the ball down three scores. I am fine with that too. I just didn't see anything to make me believe I should be pessimistic. Coming into this game I read all the shit about how this coach was going to be in over his head. Do you remember the beginning of Chris Petersen's era?

We beat Hawaii that year by 1 point. Gave up 52 points in a seven point win over FCS Eastern WA, then after looking pretty good against a pretty bad Illinois team? We lead Georgia State 14 to 0 at the half! Saturday's game was never in jeopardy. Just have a real hard time being disappointed in that after the shit I watched out of Lake and his staff last year and in comparison to the beginning of the CP era.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:33 pm

Nobody here is being pessimistic or saying this team sucks. We are basically saying that the jury is still out.

Nobody here knows how good Kent State is going to be. They lost quite a few playmakers on offense as well as several o-linemen. Will they be as good as they were last season....who knows.

The world knows that they can't be much worse on defense than they were last year. So what we did on offense against that 5th worst defense makes us world beaters.....who knows.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:41 pm

They weren't even that good last year. they were a 7 loss team. They scored 10 points against Texas A&M who ended up as an un-ranked team. They scored 7 points against Iowa who ended up ranked 23rd. They scored 16 points against Maryland who finished 10th in the Big 10 standings. They also got trucked by a bunch of directional schools. They lost by 33 to Western Michigan. They Lost by 24 to Central Michigan and they lost by 18 to Northern Illinois.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Do you remember the beginning of Chris Petersen's era?
I do remember. I was one that had reservations about his hire. I posted things like:
-He is a coach from a JV conference and I still stand by that.
-With the level of talent of his players the coaches only have to game plan 2-3 games a year and I still stand by that.

But at no point did I (or anyone else) ever say he was a shitty coach.

And I have the same gripes about his coach; Until he can prove that he can game plan for 12 games a season. Until he can handle and scheme around injured players. Until he can prove he can do it for years like other great college coaches.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:49 pm

And I will be the first to say this.....:

We will totally motorboat Portland State on both sides of the ball.

But after all that, we still won't know what we have for a team....other than world beaters against 'lesser' teams. However, a good showing (not necessarily a win) against Michigan State will certainly change my mind.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:27 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:45 pm
And I have the same gripes about his coach; Until he can prove that he can game plan for 12 games a season. Until he can handle and scheme around injured players. Until he can prove he can do it for years like other great college coaches.
And that other guy you said this about took us to a Final 4 and two other Major Bowl games. I love the 80s and 90s too. I LOVED Don James, but there have been a string of guys much less successful than Pete. The other guy that came from the silly little Conference. Shit, that is basically what the PAC is!